PDA

View Full Version : Vibration Resistor: Universal Joint

eliminator
November 20th, 2003, 05:40 AM
[^][^][8D]Just worked out a deal this week with Flaming River who makes the Unique steering u-joints for a Vibration Resistor. The reason all of us have a vibration problem is that there is no dampner between the Manual Rack and Pinion Steering and the steering wheel. Flaming River use to make a dampner that went in the center of the steering shaft, you had to cut the shaft take out a section then insert the dampner, did the job but a pain in the $ss. At the Steet Rod Nationals I approached them about this. They showed me a new concept, making the Vibration Resistor in with the U-Joint but they didn't have one to fit the Unique spline which is a 3/4"-48, both end's. Now we will have one, we have 6 on order that we should get in 4-6 weeks to try out. This will replace the u-joint that comes directly off the steering shaft (you need it as close to the steering wheel as possible), looks similar but is a little longer, approximately 1", will be nickle plated steel like the present joint, has thermoplastic rubber to absorb vibration and "road feel" from the steering system. Actual does a great job as there are some Unique Cars around with the old system. The short shaft that comes out of this joint will have to be replaced, needs to be shorter, and thats it. So it is pretty easy to do, about a 1 hr job. Price, Unique will have to give us a quote, but around 200.00 or less, need just the 2 parts, a Vibration Resistor U-Joint and a new shorter 3/4"-48 splined intermediate shaft. Keep everyone updated.[8D][8D] WWW.flamingriver.com

Eliminator

clayfoushee
November 20th, 2003, 07:29 AM
That's great news for 2 reasons, 1) since I just acquired my car a few months ago, I wondered if I was the only one wondering about vibration in the steering wheel, and 2) there's a fix on the horizon.

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler

clayfoushee
November 20th, 2003, 07:29 AM
That's great news for 2 reasons, 1) since I just acquired my car a few months ago, I wondered if I was the only one wondering about vibration in the steering wheel, and 2) there's a fix on the horizon.

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler

spd4me
November 20th, 2003, 08:17 AM
My whole dash shakes so bad I can hardly read the gauges when stopped. Maybe this will help.

spd4me
November 20th, 2003, 08:17 AM
My whole dash shakes so bad I can hardly read the gauges when stopped. Maybe this will help.

GeorgiaSnake
November 20th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Speed it won't do any thing for you dash while sitting still. You must have one bad as cam if it shakes that bad. What is you idle speed?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
November 20th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Speed it won't do any thing for you dash while sitting still. You must have one bad as cam if it shakes that bad. What is you idle speed?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

eliminator
November 20th, 2003, 09:46 PM
This will actual eliminate all or most of the steering wheel vibration, Unique's FIA car has the old style dampner on it and they tell me it makes a difference. Most of your production cars and trucks have some type dampners on them. Some vibration you feel that you think is tires out of balance is actually vibration from the manual rack and pinon steering. After this gets going Maurice told me they will make this a permanent change in cars being built in the future.

Eliminator

eliminator
November 20th, 2003, 09:46 PM
This will actual eliminate all or most of the steering wheel vibration, Unique's FIA car has the old style dampner on it and they tell me it makes a difference. Most of your production cars and trucks have some type dampners on them. Some vibration you feel that you think is tires out of balance is actually vibration from the manual rack and pinon steering. After this gets going Maurice told me they will make this a permanent change in cars being built in the future.

Eliminator

spd4me
November 21st, 2003, 03:01 AM
GeorgiaSnake
Looks like my motor is same as yours. Southern Auto. 396W Stroker, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads, Elgin Pro Stock Cam Lift Int. .320 Exh. .335, .050 Dur 238 Int. and 248 Exh. If you can understand all that tech stuff. When I first got the motor it ran great and idled smooth. My rear oil seal started leaking so I sent it back to Bill. When I got it back is when it really started vibrating. I plan to call Bill and see what it could be. Maybe they installed a different clutch or something. If you have the same motor, can you look between the harmonic balance and front of block there is a spacer about 3-4 inches long. Mine has a counter weight at the front end of it. My question is if the engine and crank are all balanced, why would their be a counterweight needed behind the harmonic balance?

spd4me
November 21st, 2003, 03:01 AM
GeorgiaSnake
Looks like my motor is same as yours. Southern Auto. 396W Stroker, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads, Elgin Pro Stock Cam Lift Int. .320 Exh. .335, .050 Dur 238 Int. and 248 Exh. If you can understand all that tech stuff. When I first got the motor it ran great and idled smooth. My rear oil seal started leaking so I sent it back to Bill. When I got it back is when it really started vibrating. I plan to call Bill and see what it could be. Maybe they installed a different clutch or something. If you have the same motor, can you look between the harmonic balance and front of block there is a spacer about 3-4 inches long. Mine has a counter weight at the front end of it. My question is if the engine and crank are all balanced, why would their be a counterweight needed behind the harmonic balance?

spd4me
November 21st, 2003, 03:06 AM
GeorgiaSnake
I forgot to answer your question. When the car came back from Bill's the idle speed was 1100-1200 rpms. I adjusted the fast idle screw down to 900-1000 rpms. It really didn't help much.

spd4me
November 21st, 2003, 03:06 AM
GeorgiaSnake
I forgot to answer your question. When the car came back from Bill's the idle speed was 1100-1200 rpms. I adjusted the fast idle screw down to 900-1000 rpms. It really didn't help much.

Brent
November 21st, 2003, 03:21 AM
An engine can be "internally" or "externally" balanced. An internally balanced engine uses a neutral balance flywheel and balancer. An externally balanced engine requires work on the flywheel and balancer counter weights. A Windsor can be done both ways. It depends on the stroker kit that was used.

If the motor was smooth and now has a vibration with all the same internals and externals you need to look into this.

Brent

Brent
November 21st, 2003, 03:21 AM
An engine can be "internally" or "externally" balanced. An internally balanced engine uses a neutral balance flywheel and balancer. An externally balanced engine requires work on the flywheel and balancer counter weights. A Windsor can be done both ways. It depends on the stroker kit that was used.

If the motor was smooth and now has a vibration with all the same internals and externals you need to look into this.

Brent

Tony Radford
November 21st, 2003, 07:32 AM
Spd4me, something ain't right if your dash shakes like that. I'm running a rock and roll cam when it comes to idle: .540 lift and 108 lobe centers. My car rocks, but no effect on the dash or gauges. Does your car smooth out when you get up into the RPM range? If you have a balance problem, I think you should feel it pretty well when you get the RPMs up.

427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

Tony Radford
November 21st, 2003, 07:32 AM
Spd4me, something ain't right if your dash shakes like that. I'm running a rock and roll cam when it comes to idle: .540 lift and 108 lobe centers. My car rocks, but no effect on the dash or gauges. Does your car smooth out when you get up into the RPM range? If you have a balance problem, I think you should feel it pretty well when you get the RPMs up.

427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

eliminator
November 23rd, 2003, 09:23 PM
Sound like a possible motor mount problem, would check that first.

Eliminator

eliminator
November 23rd, 2003, 09:23 PM
Sound like a possible motor mount problem, would check that first.

Eliminator

eliminator
March 17th, 2004, 09:38 PM
After many months, we now have Vibration Resistors for the Steering on a Unique:D. Flaming River did make the 3/4"-48 Resistors and Unique has an inital supply. We have them going on three cars now and will drive some soon to see how well they do. I will post some pictures next week of the install. We are still working out the length of the new intermediate shaft. Maurice will be out of town next week so some time around the first of April Unique will have prices on them;). Pretty easy to install, once the intermediate shaft length is worked out it would be a 30-45 minute install:). You loosen the U-Joint attached to the steering wheel, while pulling on the steering wheel you can use a brass hammer or soft hammer and tap the joint loose from the steering shaft. Then the next shaft which is approximately 10 1/2" long is the intermediate shaft. It has to be removed as it will either have to be shortened or replaced. The Vibration Resistor is a u-joint with a rubber mounted vibration device mounted in one side of the joint. It replaces the joint attached to the steering wheel shaft and is 1 1/2" longer so thats why the intermediate shaft has to be shortned. The rubber side of the u-joint mounts to the steering shaft, 3/4" - 48 spline. You want the rubber vibration resistor as close to the steering wheel as possible in the series of shafts and joints. This allows for all the vibration to be removed before it gets to your hands. Nice looking unit and is finished the same as the existing Flaming River U-Joints. We think the intermediate shaft can be cut 1/2" off each end and the steering shaft cut 1/4"-1/2" of the splined end will work. Each car could be a little different based on how the steering column is mounted, probably 1/4" to 1/2" difference. Butch Capps has a 289 FIA and his is mounted and he will Road Test it this week-end, he also has one going in his 427 S/C car. Mine is ready to go in this week-end, but I have my dash out doing some windshield wiper work. I would guess total cost will be under $250.00.
Now if your tires are way out of balance [V]this will not fix the problem, it will take the vibration out of the steering caused by the rack and pinion steering set up. Most all production cars and trucks have some type of device like this. Will keep you posted.

Rick

eliminator
March 17th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Another thought, if you are having a car built, call Unique and get this Up-Grade done. Will cost you a little more but will be well worth the money spent.

Rick

spd4me
March 23rd, 2004, 05:02 AM
Just an update on the vibration problem I was having. I had two valves that were way out of adjustment. Once I adjusted, the motor really smoothed out.

Brent
March 23rd, 2004, 05:07 AM
Great! I bet it runs better too.

Brent

eliminator
May 1st, 2004, 11:38 PM
The Vibration Resitor is installed and I really like it , takes alot of vibration out of the steering wheel. I have about 200 miles on it and the more I drive the better it feels(the rubber is loosening up). I used my existion steering components, cut the steering shaft off so all the spline would go into the Vibration Resistor, (see photo). I also cut my intermediated shaft off on both ends (9 1/2" overall). Maurice and Alan have had a new intermediate shaft made up which will save alot of work. They hcan quote you a price on the complete kit to change over. It's no more than a 45 minute job if you dont pull the steering shaft and cut it.http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/eliminator/Cobra 0251.jpg

Rick

gasman
May 2nd, 2004, 12:05 AM
Rick, I think Alan should issue a recall notice to take care of this for us... ;)

Steve Foushee

jhaynie
May 2nd, 2004, 07:00 AM
Rick,

Everything is so damn shiny. Its embarassing.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

clayfoushee
May 2nd, 2004, 07:07 AM
Bro,

Are you still planning to go to Homecoming? Not sure you'll be welcome at the Weaver's shop after that last crack:D.

Since I posted last November on this old thread that I had a vibration problem too, I've replaced the tires, had the wheels trued and balanced at a high quality place (other than Mr. Tire). My vibration problem disappeared. But, I still get quite a jolt when I hit an imperfection on the road surface.

Rick, does the dampener help with that?

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

eliminator
May 2nd, 2004, 09:10 PM
Clay,

The main think it does do is take the heavy hits and makes them mild, also in any type of rack and pinion steering the vibration is not isolated so it does and good job of talking that continueous vibration out of the steering. Like I said I am very pleased I like the way it makes the steering feel. There will be at least 3 car's at Homecoming with this installed.

Rick

eliminator
May 3rd, 2004, 10:29 AM
I Had to clean this area for a week before I took the picture, the car is filthy. Another picture of the Thermoplastic Rubber, Vibration Resistor U-Joint.
Rickhttp://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/eliminator/Cobra 0261.jpg

gasman
May 3rd, 2004, 10:50 AM
Rick, where is it?

Steve Foushee

Brent
May 3rd, 2004, 11:13 PM
"The rest of my car is filthy"

Yeh right ;)

Let the games begin :D

I can't sleep at night I am so fired up [:P]

Brent

gasman
May 4th, 2004, 01:06 AM
Man do I feel stupid. I'm towing my car to the body shop to get a super tiny nick in the door fixed so that you guys want give me a hard time about it at homecoming. Body shop is only 8 miles from my house, no need for tie downs for such a short distance....[:O] [B)] [V] WRONG! [8] I had to slam on brakes to avoid an @$$hole. The car popped out of gear and bounced off the front of the trailer. Not much damage, fortunately, I have the finish line bumpers. It bent the bumper into the cowling shroud but did not do any body damage. The body shop said they could straighten the bumper without needing to replace it. I'm reluctantly making this stupid confession so that no one will even consider taking their car to homecoming without using tie downs.

Steve Foushee

eliminator
May 4th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Steve,

What can we stay, your learning! Glad to hear there is only minor damage. Get a few (2) rubber chocks for your trailer. They will be handy items. Also good idea to get a nice fire extinguisher for the trailer, just in case.

Rick

casaleenie
May 4th, 2004, 02:38 AM
Homecoming.....

I'm trying to be an adult about this but it's killing me...

My nephew (who we all thought was a fruitcake) gets married out in Manhattan Beach, CA. two months ago... He plans a reception in Vegas on the 15th of May.(Homecoming in Ala.). OK, I can live with that... The Spring Fling in Columbus, Ohio is coming in late June so I'll bite the bullet on Homecoming and make up for lost time at the Fling..

I get a call last night from my youngest daughter who is planning a baptism in Chicago for one of our newest editions to our growing family.
Anybody want to guess what weekend????????

I promised myself that when I retired I would make time for all the family things that I missed over the past 36 years due to making a living. I'm not so sure I'm going to be able to keep that promise..
I figure the next thing will be a "couples baby shower" where they expect the husbands to come and watch the expectant parents open shower gifts... I swear I'm gonna lose it...

I'm not even sure what this thread is about but I saw the word "homecoming' and that threw me into a rage....

Sorry

AL

Brent
May 4th, 2004, 02:57 AM
Al,

The daughter is important, the "fruitcake" ?????? Buy him a gift cert. to Abercrombie or the Gap, mail it, and get the car clean for Homecoming.

Brent

gasman
May 4th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Al, Perhaps your daughter might reschedule the baptism if she realizes how important this weekend is to you...just a thought. Hope you can make it.

Steve Foushee

WBofTN
May 4th, 2004, 03:08 AM
Steve:
Sorry to hear a/b the mishap.
I also recommend "x ing" the rear tie down straps. this will help prevent
side to side car movement. You would be suprised how far the car will move
when you travel on Mississippi roads. I'm still learning from my misstakes too!
Wes

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

bittentoo
May 4th, 2004, 03:36 AM
Al, once maybe, twice NO WAY!!!!!!!

Be a man, stomp your foot and say, "I'M GOING TO THE HOMECOMING"!!!!!

Now go pack your bags as you will need them in the garage:D:D:D

clayfoushee
May 4th, 2004, 03:58 AM
Steve,

Sorry to hear about your mishap, but glad it wasn't worse. The guy who sold me my trailer (also a Unique owner) has previously installed bolted down metal chocks in the front and wheel stop plates in the rear perfect for a 90" wheel-base Cobra. Even so, I would never run without tie downs. Around here, I've never been out without witnessing an a$$hole somewhere, especially when you're towing.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

casaleenie
May 4th, 2004, 04:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by bittentoo

Al, once maybe, twice NO WAY!!!!!!!

Be a man, stomp your foot and say, "I'M GOING TO THE HOMECOMING"!!!!!

Now go pack your bags as you will need them in the garage:D:D:D

Bittentoo,

That wife of mine sleeps with a two lb. ballpeen hammer under her pillow and says "go ahead and p!ss me off, sooner or later you'll fall asleep". She's never lied to me before and I have no reason to doubt her on that....:D

AL

gasman
May 4th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Rick, the second photo looks much better than the first. You are a true craftsman. Would you recommend ordering both parts or is the shaft easy to cut? And finally, were any special tools required? Alan, if you read this thread, I'd like to order the parts to accomplish this job. If you send the replacement shaft do you want the old shaft returned?

Steve Foushee

eliminator
May 4th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Steve,

I would get the new U-joint and the new intermediate shaft. Yhis will make the job easy. We can go over the details at Homecoming. They are both available. No special toools, about a 30-40 minute install. 1/2" wrench, allen wrench, rubber mallet, and thats it. They could probably use the old shaft.

Rick

gasman
May 4th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Thanks Rick, Hey I sent you a private message last night. Question about the breather gasket.

Steve Foushee

casaleenie
May 6th, 2004, 12:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by eliminator

Steve,

I would get the new U-joint and the new intermediate shaft. Yhis will make the job easy. We can go over the details at Homecoming. They are both available. No special toools, about a 30-40 minute install. 1/2" wrench, allen wrench, rubber mallet, and thats it. They could probably use the old shaft.

Rick

When you say THEY can probably use the old shaft..are you talking about an exchange with the manufacturer?

AL

eliminator
May 6th, 2004, 12:36 AM
"They" = Unique Motorcars, Maurice

Rick

eliminator
December 1st, 2005, 12:56 PM
Please look at page 3, amazing what the search engine can do.

will butterworth
December 2nd, 2005, 11:17 AM
been thinking about steering vibration, will go get parts from maurice and knockem out and plugem in.Steve--sorry about trailer mishap , I haven,t told Joan, but some time back i tried to push car out of carport, let get loose back into the fence, scuffed rear bumper, that,s after I sideswiped the brick wall about a year before trying to back it out.Anyway. glad for you that car was not damaged worse.Will-alabama