PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a better accelerator pedal?

Okiesnake
November 20th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Has anyone added an accelerator extension of some type to extend the bottom of the pedal?
If you have ever wanted to heel-toe down shifts, the current pedal configuration is not very conducive to this technique. (Turnfast.com has an excellent article on heel-toe downshifting and why you want to do it. http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_heeltoe.lasso )
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I would like to figure something out befor taking the car out to the track next month.

Joe LaFives
November 21st, 2003, 03:41 AM
Really more important is the width and level of the gas pedal. If you can set up the accelerator to be approximately the same depth as the brake pedal with some compression and have it be wider than the stock pedal you can ROLL your foot from the brake to the accelerator using the ball of your foot on BOTH the brake and gas. That's the way the Bondostangs were set up at Bondurants and it makes for a very clean "Heel/Toe" down shift.

Joe LaFives
November 21st, 2003, 03:41 AM
Really more important is the width and level of the gas pedal. If you can set up the accelerator to be approximately the same depth as the brake pedal with some compression and have it be wider than the stock pedal you can ROLL your foot from the brake to the accelerator using the ball of your foot on BOTH the brake and gas. That's the way the Bondostangs were set up at Bondurants and it makes for a very clean "Heel/Toe" down shift.

Okiesnake
November 21st, 2003, 07:46 AM
On most modern race cars are set up for the rolling of your foot as you indicate. However with the way my car at least is set up this doesn't work. The gas pedal is too low realitive to the brake pedal. If the gas pedal were longer, it would be easy to blip it with the heal of your foot.

Okiesnake
November 21st, 2003, 07:46 AM
On most modern race cars are set up for the rolling of your foot as you indicate. However with the way my car at least is set up this doesn't work. The gas pedal is too low realitive to the brake pedal. If the gas pedal were longer, it would be easy to blip it with the heal of your foot.

Brent
November 21st, 2003, 11:25 PM
I plan on making an aluminum plate to mount on the existing pedal. I am going to drill 4 holes in the surface of the existing pedal in a triangle pattern and make a larger pedal out of 1/8" aluminum. I think I can use counter sunk s.s. machime screws to mount it and mill grooves in the face for traction.

Brent

Brent
November 21st, 2003, 11:25 PM
I plan on making an aluminum plate to mount on the existing pedal. I am going to drill 4 holes in the surface of the existing pedal in a triangle pattern and make a larger pedal out of 1/8" aluminum. I think I can use counter sunk s.s. machime screws to mount it and mill grooves in the face for traction.

Brent

Okiesnake
November 22nd, 2003, 05:41 AM
Oh Ya! That did the trick! Now I can simply roll my foot over to blip the gas when braking downshifts!
Went down to a local Auto parts store and bought a set of bolt on pedals for $14.95. You know the type that just slip over and bolt to the existing gas/brake/clutch pedals. I used just the gas pedal only. Didn't use the mounting hardware. Drilled a couple of holes through the new gas pedal cover and the old gas pedal at the top curve of the old gas pedal and the pop rivited the new gas pedal cover in place. The gas pedal is now wider and longer. Works Great!
I threw away the brake and clutch pedal covers. Tried them for a moment but they are too wide. I couldn't depress the clutch very well without cliping the brake pedal.
Brent, with your great skills with alumium work, I am sure you could fabricate something as good or better.

Okiesnake
November 22nd, 2003, 05:41 AM
Oh Ya! That did the trick! Now I can simply roll my foot over to blip the gas when braking downshifts!
Went down to a local Auto parts store and bought a set of bolt on pedals for $14.95. You know the type that just slip over and bolt to the existing gas/brake/clutch pedals. I used just the gas pedal only. Didn't use the mounting hardware. Drilled a couple of holes through the new gas pedal cover and the old gas pedal at the top curve of the old gas pedal and the pop rivited the new gas pedal cover in place. The gas pedal is now wider and longer. Works Great!
I threw away the brake and clutch pedal covers. Tried them for a moment but they are too wide. I couldn't depress the clutch very well without cliping the brake pedal.
Brent, with your great skills with alumium work, I am sure you could fabricate something as good or better.

clayfoushee
November 23rd, 2003, 02:25 AM
Okie,

Would you mind attaching a pic when you have a chance? Sounds like a good solution for me.

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

clayfoushee
November 23rd, 2003, 02:25 AM
Okie,

Would you mind attaching a pic when you have a chance? Sounds like a good solution for me.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Okiesnake
November 24th, 2003, 12:09 PM
You can see the original pedal behind the new one. The original pedal is pretty small and curves back. The new pedal really makes a difference. Make sure that the bottom of the new pedal clears the top of the drop down floor pan so that it will depress all the way. The brake pedal still is higher than the gas pedal and there is no chance of accidental depression of the gas while only meaning to brake. To toe/heal downshift you have to deliberately roll you foot over to blip the throttle.
I also see I need to vacuum!
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/Okiesnake/PICT0091.JPG

Okiesnake
November 24th, 2003, 12:09 PM
You can see the original pedal behind the new one. The original pedal is pretty small and curves back. The new pedal really makes a difference. Make sure that the bottom of the new pedal clears the top of the drop down floor pan so that it will depress all the way. The brake pedal still is higher than the gas pedal and there is no chance of accidental depression of the gas while only meaning to brake. To toe/heal downshift you have to deliberately roll you foot over to blip the throttle.
I also see I need to vacuum!
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/Okiesnake/PICT0091.JPG

Okiesnake
November 24th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Joe,
You were right about the width of the pedal. I don't have to use the heal of my foot with this arrangement. Saturday was is the 70's and I got lots of driving in. Sunday was in the 40's but I still had so much fun Saturday that I drove the car Sunday too!

Okiesnake
November 24th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Joe,
You were right about the width of the pedal. I don't have to use the heal of my foot with this arrangement. Saturday was is the 70's and I got lots of driving in. Sunday was in the 40's but I still had so much fun Saturday that I drove the car Sunday too!

clayfoushee
November 24th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Thanks Okie, for the pic...that looks good (and, I didn't notice the dirt in the footwell...jeez you are O-C:D. I'll make that mod (accelerator pedal), and maybe I'll vacuum sometime this winter too.

Seriously, you know your "stuff," and I have valued your advice in my short time here. When Okie speaks, I listen.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

clayfoushee
November 24th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Thanks Okie, for the pic...that looks good (and, I didn't notice the dirt in the footwell...jeez you are O-C:D. I'll make that mod (accelerator pedal), and maybe I'll vacuum sometime this winter too.

Seriously, you know your "stuff," and I have valued your advice in my short time here. When Okie speaks, I listen.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Brent
November 24th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Looks great. Now that I see your pic its not worth making one if you can buy one that nice for 10.00.

A little black paint on the original pedal and I doubt you could even see it.

Thanks for the pics

Brent

Brent
November 24th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Looks great. Now that I see your pic its not worth making one if you can buy one that nice for 10.00.

A little black paint on the original pedal and I doubt you could even see it.

Thanks for the pics

Brent

Okiesnake
November 24th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the kind words Clay.
Brent, I like your suggestion of painting the original pedal black.
The new pedal had a clip rivited to the middle of the pedal that was part of the mounting harware that came with the kit. I left the clip on because it worked as a spacer. If your aftermarket pedal does not have something to act as a spacer in the middle of the pedal, you may have to add one. The original pedal curves so much that something is needed.

Okiesnake
November 24th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the kind words Clay.
Brent, I like your suggestion of painting the original pedal black.
The new pedal had a clip rivited to the middle of the pedal that was part of the mounting harware that came with the kit. I left the clip on because it worked as a spacer. If your aftermarket pedal does not have something to act as a spacer in the middle of the pedal, you may have to add one. The original pedal curves so much that something is needed.

GeorgiaSnake
November 25th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Be careful with the lenght, it will get stuck on the carpet if it rotates much.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
November 25th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Be careful with the lenght, it will get stuck on the carpet if it rotates much.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Okiesnake
November 25th, 2003, 08:33 AM
As long as you are careful during installation and use two (or more) rivets, it can't rotate and therefore can't get stuck.

Okiesnake
November 25th, 2003, 08:33 AM
As long as you are careful during installation and use two (or more) rivets, it can't rotate and therefore can't get stuck.

Joe LaFives
November 25th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Looks like a good solution. I'll probably do the same.

Joe LaFives
November 25th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Looks like a good solution. I'll probably do the same.