PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum kit around the engine compartment

Joe LaFives
November 21st, 2003, 03:47 AM
I read with interest about the oil cooler aluminum. I've got a 93 FIA that I bought used. It's a fine car but I'd like to dress it up. It does not have the aluminum kit in the engine bay, scoop or trunk. I've been thinking for some time now about purchasing the kit from Alan and installing however I don't have a lot of experience with aluminum or even if the kit will install with the engine in place.

It appears that the oil cooler shoud kit includes the aluminum for the scoop area around the radiator as well. Is that correct.

Has anyone added the aluminum kit to a preexisting build? If so how tough was it?

Thanks

Scott

Brent
November 21st, 2003, 04:17 AM
I just finished my engine compartment. If you look back in the previous posts you find pics. A big block completely fills the engine compartment. You will have alot of room with a small block, however, I don't think you can do it with the motor in. Even if you could it only takes a couple of hours to pull the motor and you can easily re-do the entire engine compartment.

I made all of my pieces from scratch first making patterns out of thin poster board. It is a JOB and if you do not have the tools it is alot better to buy the kit from Alan. The footbox seams are welded and they look GREAT.Just buy 20.00 worth of Clekos and go for it.

Good luck
Brent

Brent
November 21st, 2003, 04:17 AM
I just finished my engine compartment. If you look back in the previous posts you find pics. A big block completely fills the engine compartment. You will have alot of room with a small block, however, I don't think you can do it with the motor in. Even if you could it only takes a couple of hours to pull the motor and you can easily re-do the entire engine compartment.

I made all of my pieces from scratch first making patterns out of thin poster board. It is a JOB and if you do not have the tools it is alot better to buy the kit from Alan. The footbox seams are welded and they look GREAT.Just buy 20.00 worth of Clekos and go for it.

Good luck
Brent

WBofTN
November 21st, 2003, 05:48 AM
Joe:
I'm in the same boat - bought a car with no sheetmetal up front.
It would be nice to add it, but not sure how big of a pain in the
A$$ it will be. I will be watching this topic closely.
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

WBofTN
November 21st, 2003, 05:48 AM
Joe:
I'm in the same boat - bought a car with no sheetmetal up front.
It would be nice to add it, but not sure how big of a pain in the
A$$ it will be. I will be watching this topic closely.
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

Joe LaFives
November 21st, 2003, 06:02 AM
Brent - thanks for the information. So I take it, if I got the kit from Alan then the steps would be something like:

Remove plumbing from Engine
Remove Engine and Tranny.
Remove bits from firewall, fender walls, footboxes,
Prep those areas and add insulation to footboxes.
Affix the aluminum and rivet in place.
install engine
add bits back and redo plumbing.

How do the cleko's work. Do you drill holes and use them as a temporary fastener? Do you use some sort of adhesive behind the aluminum?
Any special tools required?

Best

Joe LaFives
November 21st, 2003, 06:02 AM
Brent - thanks for the information. So I take it, if I got the kit from Alan then the steps would be something like:

Remove plumbing from Engine
Remove Engine and Tranny.
Remove bits from firewall, fender walls, footboxes,
Prep those areas and add insulation to footboxes.
Affix the aluminum and rivet in place.
install engine
add bits back and redo plumbing.

How do the cleko's work. Do you drill holes and use them as a temporary fastener? Do you use some sort of adhesive behind the aluminum?
Any special tools required?

Best

Brent
November 21st, 2003, 06:06 AM
You got it!!!

A Cleco is a temporary pop rivet. It allows you to fit the pieces and remove them easily with the supplied pliers.If you plan to install the interior with 1/8" pop rivets then get 1/8" Clecos and your set

The insulation glues in place and the footboxes are riveted or screwed.

Good luck
Brent

Brent
November 21st, 2003, 06:06 AM
You got it!!!

A Cleco is a temporary pop rivet. It allows you to fit the pieces and remove them easily with the supplied pliers.If you plan to install the interior with 1/8" pop rivets then get 1/8" Clecos and your set

The insulation glues in place and the footboxes are riveted or screwed.

Good luck
Brent

excelguru
November 21st, 2003, 09:06 AM
WB - Must be a big boat... there's three of us in here...

This may be a dumb question, but would I need to unbolt the engine from the tranny or can both pieces be pulled together? There is NO WAY the aluminum could be installed with my engine in place.

Are the panels pre-drilled as well as pre-cut? Reading with interest...

excelguru
November 21st, 2003, 09:06 AM
WB - Must be a big boat... there's three of us in here...

This may be a dumb question, but would I need to unbolt the engine from the tranny or can both pieces be pulled together? There is NO WAY the aluminum could be installed with my engine in place.

Are the panels pre-drilled as well as pre-cut? Reading with interest...

Poorboy
November 21st, 2003, 01:01 PM
Leave the transmission in. The panels are not drilled.

Poorboy

Poorboy
November 21st, 2003, 01:01 PM
Leave the transmission in. The panels are not drilled.

Poorboy

eliminator
November 23rd, 2003, 09:45 PM
With the Unique Kit You will have to do some trimming on the aluminum panels and footbox aluminum. Plus a little trimming of the fiberglass flange on the inner fenders left and right side. Nothing major just take your time, fit trim, fit trim. Some people say the inner fender aluminum is difficult some say the footboxes. I though the footboxes were easy. You CANNOT do this without Kleko fastners and they also make little Kleko clamps that are very helpfull. I did document the install totally and have the files at home if anyone is intrested. Send me a e-mail and I will forward them, would be easier than posting. I will still try to post a few. rpb1200@aol.com

Eliminator

eliminator
November 23rd, 2003, 09:45 PM
With the Unique Kit You will have to do some trimming on the aluminum panels and footbox aluminum. Plus a little trimming of the fiberglass flange on the inner fenders left and right side. Nothing major just take your time, fit trim, fit trim. Some people say the inner fender aluminum is difficult some say the footboxes. I though the footboxes were easy. You CANNOT do this without Kleko fastners and they also make little Kleko clamps that are very helpfull. I did document the install totally and have the files at home if anyone is intrested. Send me a e-mail and I will forward them, would be easier than posting. I will still try to post a few. rpb1200@aol.com

Eliminator

casaleenie
November 24th, 2003, 08:06 AM
After reading these postings I've come to the conclusion that
I'M LEAVING IT ALONE...............

AL

casaleenie
November 24th, 2003, 08:06 AM
After reading these postings I've come to the conclusion that
I'M LEAVING IT ALONE...............

AL