PDA

View Full Version : Heater Ducting

Copper01
November 23rd, 2003, 05:04 AM
Does anyone have any pictures showing how to install the heater/defroster air box and ducting behind the dash? I have the fuse box on the left side of the steering wheel and the MSD box on the passenger side. It appears that the heater/defroster air box needs to go in the middle, but it sure looks like things are going to get crowded. Again, any pictures would be most appreciated.

Ben
Unique 427
SA 427SO w/ Toploader
Guardsman Blue w/ White Stripes

Okiesnake
November 23rd, 2003, 06:11 AM
I need to check on my computer at the office to see is I have some more pics.
I bought my heater kit from Unique. I believe they have Vintage Air make up the kit for them. The defrosted vents don't let a whole lot of air flow through them and are basically useless.
I currently have the heater/defroster box located in the center of the car, behind the dash. I pop riveted a couple of small “L” brackets through the H/D box and into the steel cross member behind the dash. (Carefully make sure that the diverter still moves freely after the pop rivets are installed). I have a fire extinguisher mounted in front of the shifter. When the heater is on, the fire extinguisher blocks a lot of the heated air. But I like the fire extinguisher there.
I am a diehard enough that I like diving even when its cold out. However, most of my passengers are typically pretty fair weather only.
I am seriously considering either re-venting a single vent directly to the front of the driver's side foot well (away from the fire extinguisher), or using the H/D diverter box to duct to vent tubes to the driver-side boot box and to the passenger’s side foot box. With the second arrangement I could switch to either 100% driver or 100% passenger, or a compromised mix between to two.

Okiesnake
November 23rd, 2003, 06:11 AM
I need to check on my computer at the office to see is I have some more pics.
I bought my heater kit from Unique. I believe they have Vintage Air make up the kit for them. The defrosted vents don't let a whole lot of air flow through them and are basically useless.
I currently have the heater/defroster box located in the center of the car, behind the dash. I pop riveted a couple of small “L” brackets through the H/D box and into the steel cross member behind the dash. (Carefully make sure that the diverter still moves freely after the pop rivets are installed). I have a fire extinguisher mounted in front of the shifter. When the heater is on, the fire extinguisher blocks a lot of the heated air. But I like the fire extinguisher there.
I am a diehard enough that I like diving even when its cold out. However, most of my passengers are typically pretty fair weather only.
I am seriously considering either re-venting a single vent directly to the front of the driver's side foot well (away from the fire extinguisher), or using the H/D diverter box to duct to vent tubes to the driver-side boot box and to the passenger’s side foot box. With the second arrangement I could switch to either 100% driver or 100% passenger, or a compromised mix between to two.

eliminator
November 23rd, 2003, 09:19 PM
My defrosters work great, I have my diverter set permately in the middle position (50% defroster, 50% footbox heat). Many people have done this and it works great. The passenger will get too much heat into their footbox so I drilled small holes into the footbox instead of the large one hole, the small ones are about 5/32" in a round pattern. This cuts down on the volume going to the passenger and pushes more air to the defroster and driver. Have some pictures of the ductwork if you will e-mail me I can send them to you. My home e-mail is rpb1200@aol.com.

Eliminator

eliminator
November 23rd, 2003, 09:19 PM
My defrosters work great, I have my diverter set permately in the middle position (50% defroster, 50% footbox heat). Many people have done this and it works great. The passenger will get too much heat into their footbox so I drilled small holes into the footbox instead of the large one hole, the small ones are about 5/32" in a round pattern. This cuts down on the volume going to the passenger and pushes more air to the defroster and driver. Have some pictures of the ductwork if you will e-mail me I can send them to you. My home e-mail is rpb1200@aol.com.

Eliminator