PDA

View Full Version : Voltage Regulator

Copper01
November 25th, 2003, 11:26 PM
Does anyone have the part number for the voltage regulator for a 427FE side oiler? This one was built by Southern Automotive, but they say that Unique is who supplies that part and Unique is closed for the Thanksgiving holidays. Any help would be most appreciated. The wiring is almost done and I was hoping to fire this thing up over the holidays.

Ben
Unique 427
SA 427SO w/ Toploader
Guardsman Blue w/ White Stripes

COBRAGAR
November 26th, 2003, 06:30 AM
HOPE THIS HELP OUT GO TO WWW.AMKPRODUCTS.COM . THEM GO TO PARTS THEM VOLTAGE REGULATOR AND YOU WE SEE SINGLE WIRE HOOKUP THAT UNIQUE USES PART # F 10316-SW HOPE THIS HELP REMEMBER YOU CAN ALWAYS CROSSREFERENCE AT YOU LOCAL AUTO PART STORE HOPE THI HELPS

COBRAGAR
November 26th, 2003, 06:30 AM
HOPE THIS HELP OUT GO TO WWW.AMKPRODUCTS.COM . THEM GO TO PARTS THEM VOLTAGE REGULATOR AND YOU WE SEE SINGLE WIRE HOOKUP THAT UNIQUE USES PART # F 10316-SW HOPE THIS HELP REMEMBER YOU CAN ALWAYS CROSSREFERENCE AT YOU LOCAL AUTO PART STORE HOPE THI HELPS

glenn
November 26th, 2003, 08:40 AM
ben, just received my regulator from maurice a couple days ago. I have asouthern automotive 406 fe big block, should be the same block, so heres the part nos.TRANSPO,#F7078,( VR Ford 60A Conv ) Hope this helps, and you can get it running. Good Luck, Glenn

glenn
November 26th, 2003, 08:40 AM
ben, just received my regulator from maurice a couple days ago. I have asouthern automotive 406 fe big block, should be the same block, so heres the part nos.TRANSPO,#F7078,( VR Ford 60A Conv ) Hope this helps, and you can get it running. Good Luck, Glenn

K.Wilson
November 26th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Ben,
I have gone through three of these voltage regulators in the last ten years. They all failed the same way, they provided full current to the alternator rotor even when the engine was off, so the battery was discharged when the engine was off.
A street rodder friend of mine suggested I replace the alternator with a GM one wire 60 amp alternator (new chrome one wire off E-bay $80.00). You have to drill out the mounting hole to 3/8 and drill and tap the adjusting bolt hole to 3/8 NC. The spacer has to be an about an inch longer, so you have to make a new one or add washers. It mounts to the same brackets with the same bolts, looks great, works great and only a Ford purest can tell that it is not a ford part.
If you don't mind having a GM part on your Cobra this is a great retrofit, easy, inexpensive (the Unique regulator is $40.00), looks great and should be very reliable. Resist the urge to put a 100 amp on as the Unique harness is only capable of the 60 amp load.
Hopes this helps, Keith

K.Wilson
November 26th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Ben,
I have gone through three of these voltage regulators in the last ten years. They all failed the same way, they provided full current to the alternator rotor even when the engine was off, so the battery was discharged when the engine was off.
A street rodder friend of mine suggested I replace the alternator with a GM one wire 60 amp alternator (new chrome one wire off E-bay $80.00). You have to drill out the mounting hole to 3/8 and drill and tap the adjusting bolt hole to 3/8 NC. The spacer has to be an about an inch longer, so you have to make a new one or add washers. It mounts to the same brackets with the same bolts, looks great, works great and only a Ford purest can tell that it is not a ford part.
If you don't mind having a GM part on your Cobra this is a great retrofit, easy, inexpensive (the Unique regulator is $40.00), looks great and should be very reliable. Resist the urge to put a 100 amp on as the Unique harness is only capable of the 60 amp load.
Hopes this helps, Keith

Copper01
November 27th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, but none of the local auto parts stores seem to be able to cross-reference any of the recommended part numbers.:( I'll send Alan an email and see if he can overnight me one when they get back from Daytona.

Thanks again for all the help.

Ben
Unique 427
SA 427SO w/ Toploader

Copper01
November 27th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, but none of the local auto parts stores seem to be able to cross-reference any of the recommended part numbers.:( I'll send Alan an email and see if he can overnight me one when they get back from Daytona.

Thanks again for all the help.

Ben
Unique 427
SA 427SO w/ Toploader

Okiesnake
November 27th, 2003, 08:58 AM
I too went to one wire GM route after mine failed.

Okiesnake
November 27th, 2003, 08:58 AM
I too went to one wire GM route after mine failed.

eliminator
November 30th, 2003, 01:40 AM
I bough a new PowerMaster Chrome 60 AMP alternator and got rid of the SA rebuilt one. Using the Unique supplied voltage regulator with no problem. Seem's to me that someone told me that PowerMaster can build a one wire Ford Alternator??? The PowerMaster Alternator dosn't start charging until you hit 1500 RPM then it's on even if the RPM drops under 1500 RPM. Great alternators.

Eliminator

eliminator
November 30th, 2003, 01:40 AM
I bough a new PowerMaster Chrome 60 AMP alternator and got rid of the SA rebuilt one. Using the Unique supplied voltage regulator with no problem. Seem's to me that someone told me that PowerMaster can build a one wire Ford Alternator??? The PowerMaster Alternator dosn't start charging until you hit 1500 RPM then it's on even if the RPM drops under 1500 RPM. Great alternators.

Eliminator

Brent
November 30th, 2003, 04:51 AM
I have a internal regulated chrome single wire Promaster alt. and it rorks great.
Hook up the red alt wire on the harness and thats it.

Brent

Brent
November 30th, 2003, 04:51 AM
I have a internal regulated chrome single wire Promaster alt. and it rorks great.
Hook up the red alt wire on the harness and thats it.

Brent

Oldtimer
November 30th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Ahh Soo ! Brent

Coudn't resist:D

Rich

Oldtimer
November 30th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Ahh Soo ! Brent

Coudn't resist:D

Rich

jhaynie
November 30th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Summit sells the one wire alternators in 60 and 100 amp models. I have had to replace two chrome units, I went with the black powdercoated one this time. I wonder if the chrome holds in too much heat? They seem to last about 1500-2000 miles.

John

jhaynie
November 30th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Summit sells the one wire alternators in 60 and 100 amp models. I have had to replace two chrome units, I went with the black powdercoated one this time. I wonder if the chrome holds in too much heat? They seem to last about 1500-2000 miles.

John

eliminator
November 30th, 2003, 09:58 PM
John,

Better check your exhaust headers for being loose or a blown gasket. I have seen one Unique with alternator failure from excessive heat and after checking this out the header gasket was letting hot exhaust blow out on to the alternator. This was a FE powered car. You don't need 100 amps, 60 amps is plenty as your not pulling a trailer with alot of electrical running.

Eliminator

eliminator
November 30th, 2003, 09:58 PM
John,

Better check your exhaust headers for being loose or a blown gasket. I have seen one Unique with alternator failure from excessive heat and after checking this out the header gasket was letting hot exhaust blow out on to the alternator. This was a FE powered car. You don't need 100 amps, 60 amps is plenty as your not pulling a trailer with alot of electrical running.

Eliminator