PDA

View Full Version : Better street Brake Pads?

Okiesnake
November 25th, 2003, 11:28 PM
My car has Unique’s brake upgrade. The pads that came with the brakes are too hard for the street. For the street, they don’t get heated up enough to really work efficiently. Really have to mash the @#&* out of the brake pedal.
I am looking for input to what others are using, especially if you have Unique’s brake upgrade.

clayfoushee
November 26th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Okie in the FWIW category, I felt the same way about my 97 when I acquired it in August (don't know if it had the upgrade or not because I have no basis for comparison). Talked to Maurice Weaver about it, and he told me specifically I should NOT use street pads with the Wilwoods (don't remember the reason he mentioned). He sent me a new set of "softer" pads (also Wilwoods). He told me the pads are often not broken in properly. The proper break is to get the car up to about 60mph and do a very aggressive, panic stop to heat 'em up. After that, they were somewhat better than the old ones, put it still takes a lot of leg pressure. I can get 'em to lock up now (with great effort), whereas I couldn't before.

The new pads could be the ones you're also complaining about, but they were better than the ones I had before.

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

clayfoushee
November 26th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Okie in the FWIW category, I felt the same way about my 97 when I acquired it in August (don't know if it had the upgrade or not because I have no basis for comparison). Talked to Maurice Weaver about it, and he told me specifically I should NOT use street pads with the Wilwoods (don't remember the reason he mentioned). He sent me a new set of "softer" pads (also Wilwoods). He told me the pads are often not broken in properly. The proper break is to get the car up to about 60mph and do a very aggressive, panic stop to heat 'em up. After that, they were somewhat better than the old ones, put it still takes a lot of leg pressure. I can get 'em to lock up now (with great effort), whereas I couldn't before.

The new pads could be the ones you're also complaining about, but they were better than the ones I had before.

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD