PDA

View Full Version : Weatherstrip

GeorgiaSnake
November 30th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Have any of you guys noticed the weather strip on the doors doesn't touch the body ? I'm looking for some that is closer to 1/2" or bigger. I may have found a good source Steele Rubber Products I'll let you know.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Brent
November 30th, 2003, 07:56 PM
I am glad you asked this. I am getting ready to install my door seals and noticed they are pretty small. I have also seen alot of cars with paint blemishes on the doors and the body and a thicker seal may help this?
Hopefully someone has crossed this bridge already and can shed some light on the subject.

Brent

Brent
November 30th, 2003, 07:56 PM
I am glad you asked this. I am getting ready to install my door seals and noticed they are pretty small. I have also seen alot of cars with paint blemishes on the doors and the body and a thicker seal may help this?
Hopefully someone has crossed this bridge already and can shed some light on the subject.

Brent

eliminator
November 30th, 2003, 09:40 PM
The reason it is thin is because some areas it will not touch and some areas it will compress the seal so tight you can't get the door open. I would advise to use the supplied seal. Trim the seals so they don't go all the way to the edge of the door opening on top. Some people seal the body some seal the door, I did the body. The problem area is the top of the door, the door gets real close to the body on the 427 S/C cars and if it's not trimmed back will pull the seal away from the glued surface. Dont know how the FIA doors fit. I dont think you will ever get the door and the body to seal out with correctly with any type or thickness seal, the body and door are not that good of a fit and then the painters work on both areas and that can hurt or help but it's not uniform around the entire area. It's not meant to be a waterproof seal like a passenger car.

Eliminator

eliminator
November 30th, 2003, 09:40 PM
The reason it is thin is because some areas it will not touch and some areas it will compress the seal so tight you can't get the door open. I would advise to use the supplied seal. Trim the seals so they don't go all the way to the edge of the door opening on top. Some people seal the body some seal the door, I did the body. The problem area is the top of the door, the door gets real close to the body on the 427 S/C cars and if it's not trimmed back will pull the seal away from the glued surface. Dont know how the FIA doors fit. I dont think you will ever get the door and the body to seal out with correctly with any type or thickness seal, the body and door are not that good of a fit and then the painters work on both areas and that can hurt or help but it's not uniform around the entire area. It's not meant to be a waterproof seal like a passenger car.

Eliminator

casaleenie
November 30th, 2003, 10:44 PM
I've also noticed the space and wondered what to do about it...
I don't even see a reason to install the molding as it doesn't do a darn thing...at least that I can see...I've reglued the moldings once already on a two year old build...

AL

casaleenie
November 30th, 2003, 10:44 PM
I've also noticed the space and wondered what to do about it...
I don't even see a reason to install the molding as it doesn't do a darn thing...at least that I can see...I've reglued the moldings once already on a two year old build...

AL

Poorboy
December 1st, 2003, 03:29 AM
The seal is more for keeping the doors from rubbing the body than sealing out air. It also works better with the seal on the doors instead of the body(you will be less likely to pull it off the door)

Poorboy

Poorboy
December 1st, 2003, 03:29 AM
The seal is more for keeping the doors from rubbing the body than sealing out air. It also works better with the seal on the doors instead of the body(you will be less likely to pull it off the door)

Poorboy

Mike Geddes
December 1st, 2003, 03:44 AM
I have to go along with AL.
The original weather stripping started to come off after about 2 years . I never bothered to replace it....can't say I've missed it.
Mike

Mike Geddes

Mike Geddes
December 1st, 2003, 03:44 AM
I have to go along with AL.
The original weather stripping started to come off after about 2 years . I never bothered to replace it....can't say I've missed it.
Mike

Mike Geddes

GeorgiaSnake
December 1st, 2003, 08:18 AM
Poorboy you may be right but I can see daylight in the passenger door when I'm in the drivers seat. I'm goimg to get some 1/2" stuff and see if it tightens up the doors. I'll let you guys know the results. One more thing my doors are margined and fit perfectly. Pictures to follow.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
December 1st, 2003, 08:18 AM
Poorboy you may be right but I can see daylight in the passenger door when I'm in the drivers seat. I'm goimg to get some 1/2" stuff and see if it tightens up the doors. I'll let you guys know the results. One more thing my doors are margined and fit perfectly. Pictures to follow.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Russ Dickey
December 3rd, 2003, 10:07 AM
The previous owner and builder of my car went with a larger weatherstripping around the doors, and while I can't see any daylight around my doors, I do have the problem in one small place on the front of the passenger's door where it rubs the body when opening and closing it, thus always causing about a 4" section of the weatherstrip to pull off. I'm tempted just to X-acto off that little section, because it's just not worth trying to glue it back on every few weeks.

Russ

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

Russ Dickey
December 3rd, 2003, 10:07 AM
The previous owner and builder of my car went with a larger weatherstripping around the doors, and while I can't see any daylight around my doors, I do have the problem in one small place on the front of the passenger's door where it rubs the body when opening and closing it, thus always causing about a 4" section of the weatherstrip to pull off. I'm tempted just to X-acto off that little section, because it's just not worth trying to glue it back on every few weeks.

Russ

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

rdorman
December 4th, 2003, 09:34 PM
Here is what I am thinking........

I have measured the gap around the door to the body with one of my favorite measuring tools..... Playdough. I am thinking of taking aluminum "U" channel, shaping it to fit and positioning it on the body so that the gap between the body and door is uniform. Then weather stripping the door. Obviously, this does not work for all the way around the door like where the door meets the dash. In that location I would weather strip on the door so that the weather strip meets the body instead of being sandwiched between the body and the door. Those COLD days with the top on a LOT of air blows in around the door. If and when I seal the doors up better it will make my cold weather driving more enjoyable.

Thoughts?

Rick

rdorman
December 4th, 2003, 09:34 PM
Here is what I am thinking........

I have measured the gap around the door to the body with one of my favorite measuring tools..... Playdough. I am thinking of taking aluminum "U" channel, shaping it to fit and positioning it on the body so that the gap between the body and door is uniform. Then weather stripping the door. Obviously, this does not work for all the way around the door like where the door meets the dash. In that location I would weather strip on the door so that the weather strip meets the body instead of being sandwiched between the body and the door. Those COLD days with the top on a LOT of air blows in around the door. If and when I seal the doors up better it will make my cold weather driving more enjoyable.

Thoughts?

Rick