PDA

View Full Version : Switching Shifters

Russ Dickey
December 3rd, 2003, 07:55 AM
Now that the first snow has fallen here in KC, I'm ready to take on the first winter project. I want to change out my too-tall Hurst shifter for the correct 289-style T-handle shifter.

My car has a 3550 trans, and I'm planning on going to a Steeda Tri-Ax or Pro 5.0 shifter, using the proper T-handle from Finish Line Acc. I've changed the shifter in several late model Mustangs before, and it was a snap, could all be done through the top. It appears that I should be able to do the same with my Cobra, but before I start yanking stuff apart, I wanted to double-check with you experts. Can I simply switch shifters by removing the bezel and boot???

Thanks,
Russ

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

Okiesnake
December 3rd, 2003, 08:11 AM
I believe that after you take off the bezel, boot and the Hurst shifter handle, you will find a plate with four bolts. After removing the four bolts and the plate, remove the front and rear bolts to remove the shifter linkage. Pull out the original shifter mechanism. Then insert the new Pro Shifter and re-install everfthing. All of the linkages are internal and there are not bump stops on the Tremac. Officially Tremac won't warrant the trans if it has anything but the original stock shifter although I personally doubt that A) they would know and B) it makes any real difference.

Okiesnake
December 3rd, 2003, 08:11 AM
I believe that after you take off the bezel, boot and the Hurst shifter handle, you will find a plate with four bolts. After removing the four bolts and the plate, remove the front and rear bolts to remove the shifter linkage. Pull out the original shifter mechanism. Then insert the new Pro Shifter and re-install everfthing. All of the linkages are internal and there are not bump stops on the Tremac. Officially Tremac won't warrant the trans if it has anything but the original stock shifter although I personally doubt that A) they would know and B) it makes any real difference.

Okiesnake
December 3rd, 2003, 01:13 PM
Russ,
You should be able to access everything through the top. I droped the trans out of my car after it was built and had to use a dremel type tool to make the fiberglass opening slightly larger to get at the two bolts in the shifter because it was intially cut only large enough to put the body on.

Okiesnake
December 3rd, 2003, 01:13 PM
Russ,
You should be able to access everything through the top. I droped the trans out of my car after it was built and had to use a dremel type tool to make the fiberglass opening slightly larger to get at the two bolts in the shifter because it was intially cut only large enough to put the body on.

Okiesnake
December 4th, 2003, 07:20 AM
Top of Trans after removing bezel & boot (granted this pic shows trans out of car but everything can be accessed from top)
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/okiesnake/Top of Trans.jpg
Remove linkage and replace with Pro Shifter after removing 2 bolts (front and rear of linkage). You may have to get under the car to fully remove these two bolts.
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/okiesnake/trans link.jpg

Okiesnake
December 4th, 2003, 07:20 AM
Top of Trans after removing bezel & boot (granted this pic shows trans out of car but everything can be accessed from top)
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/okiesnake/Top of Trans.jpg
Remove linkage and replace with Pro Shifter after removing 2 bolts (front and rear of linkage). You may have to get under the car to fully remove these two bolts.
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/okiesnake/trans link.jpg

Russ Dickey
December 5th, 2003, 12:13 AM
Awesome! I thought it would be just like switching the one out in my Mustang, but I just wanted to make sure before diving in.

Now for the next question, which shifter do you guys like? The current Hurst that I have is very "clunky" and has a hard time going from 1st to 2nd (I've missed that shift on several occassions, believe it or not). I've narrowed my current choices down to either the Pro 5.0 or the Steeda Tri-Ax. Any opinions on these two or other shifters that you may like? Again, I have the Tremec 3550 in my car.

Thanks to all!!

Russ

Russ Dickey
December 5th, 2003, 12:13 AM
Awesome! I thought it would be just like switching the one out in my Mustang, but I just wanted to make sure before diving in.

Now for the next question, which shifter do you guys like? The current Hurst that I have is very "clunky" and has a hard time going from 1st to 2nd (I've missed that shift on several occassions, believe it or not). I've narrowed my current choices down to either the Pro 5.0 or the Steeda Tri-Ax. Any opinions on these two or other shifters that you may like? Again, I have the Tremec 3550 in my car.

Thanks to all!!

Russ