PDA

View Full Version : SPF wreck at Thunderhill Roadcourse

eliminator
December 3rd, 2003, 09:38 PM
:(Go on club Cobra and search SPF wreck Thunderhill and go through the threads until you see the pictures. This car rolled several times and clearly shows the fuel cell torn from the car. Not to cool!!!
Who want's the fuel cell flying around spraying fuel everywhere?? Not me. [V] If I had a Superformance the first thing I would do is retro the fuel cell or gas tank mount on my car. If there had been a fire the guy would have been probably been burned to some degree. Our fuel cells are pretty secure, I did replace the self taping 1/4" screws that secure the rear of the tank to the frame with 5/16" grade 8 bolts.:)

Eliminator

pgermond
December 4th, 2003, 04:36 AM
Good idea Eliminator.

Here's a link to the wreckage -
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?threadid=136119

Be careful and be respectful of these cars.... there not toys to be taken lightly.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

pgermond
December 4th, 2003, 04:36 AM
Good idea Eliminator.

Here's a link to the wreckage -
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?threadid=136119

Be careful and be respectful of these cars.... there not toys to be taken lightly.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

rdorman
December 4th, 2003, 05:25 AM
We don't have a fuel cell. We have a gas tank. No bladder, no foam and to my knowledge, no check valves. Personally, I would like to see that sucker as far away from me as possible when the car comes to a stop in a major accident!
Rick

rdorman
December 4th, 2003, 05:25 AM
We don't have a fuel cell. We have a gas tank. No bladder, no foam and to my knowledge, no check valves. Personally, I would like to see that sucker as far away from me as possible when the car comes to a stop in a major accident!
Rick

Poorboy
December 4th, 2003, 06:35 AM
Eliminator
Fastening the tank in with bolts may be better. In a wreck where the tank would pull the sheet metal screws loose the bolts like you used might hold the tank bracket and rip it out of the tank making a big hole.
Poorboy

Poorboy
December 4th, 2003, 06:35 AM
Eliminator
Fastening the tank in with bolts may be better. In a wreck where the tank would pull the sheet metal screws loose the bolts like you used might hold the tank bracket and rip it out of the tank making a big hole.
Poorboy

Brent
December 4th, 2003, 06:58 AM
If you want a safe Cobra your in trouble. If you walk away from a crash in one of these your lucky.
Sorry to be a bummer but racing one of these is LAST on my list of things to do.
I watched many guys make hot laps at the last homecomming with a T-shirt on,no neck brace,no arm restraints,no roll cage, STUPID!!!

I have seen some of the cars properly prepared to hit the track and unfortunatly they lose some show quality appeal but they are built with racing in mind.Most Cobra owners build for looks and after they feel comfortable flogging it on the street they want to put a helmet on and set a lap record. Then they end up with a $45,000 pile of **** in the garage and wonder why.If they are lucky enough to walk away

Brent
Yes...I know Alan turned a car over and was fine (lucky) but that does not mean he could do it again.

Brent
December 4th, 2003, 06:58 AM
If you want a safe Cobra your in trouble. If you walk away from a crash in one of these your lucky.
Sorry to be a bummer but racing one of these is LAST on my list of things to do.
I watched many guys make hot laps at the last homecomming with a T-shirt on,no neck brace,no arm restraints,no roll cage, STUPID!!!

I have seen some of the cars properly prepared to hit the track and unfortunatly they lose some show quality appeal but they are built with racing in mind.Most Cobra owners build for looks and after they feel comfortable flogging it on the street they want to put a helmet on and set a lap record. Then they end up with a $45,000 pile of **** in the garage and wonder why.If they are lucky enough to walk away

Brent
Yes...I know Alan turned a car over and was fine (lucky) but that does not mean he could do it again.

Poorboy
December 4th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Brent
These cars are just by design not safe. But I think hot lapping on a track is a lot safer than driving one on the street. I don't mean real racing, just turning laps without competive passing. Getting broad sided by some socer mom in a SUV with a half dozen kids on the street is more likely.

Poorboy

Poorboy
December 4th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Brent
These cars are just by design not safe. But I think hot lapping on a track is a lot safer than driving one on the street. I don't mean real racing, just turning laps without competive passing. Getting broad sided by some socer mom in a SUV with a half dozen kids on the street is more likely.

Poorboy

Okiesnake
December 4th, 2003, 08:04 AM
As Dirty Harry said, A man's got to know his limitations! Never push it past your limitations and always know your and your cars limitations.
I would recomend to everyoneone to take a good professional driving school. It the most fun bang for your buck there is!
SLOWLY work up to faster speeds ONLY after learning the track and the cars handling on the track. These are high powered, short wheelbased cars and can be unforgiving. Learn how to heal-toe downshift or you'll upset the rear end and quickly spin-out going into a turn. Too much throttle and you'll quickly spin-out coming out of the turn.
And YES, remember these are not full caged cars!

Okiesnake
December 4th, 2003, 08:04 AM
As Dirty Harry said, A man's got to know his limitations! Never push it past your limitations and always know your and your cars limitations.
I would recomend to everyoneone to take a good professional driving school. It the most fun bang for your buck there is!
SLOWLY work up to faster speeds ONLY after learning the track and the cars handling on the track. These are high powered, short wheelbased cars and can be unforgiving. Learn how to heal-toe downshift or you'll upset the rear end and quickly spin-out going into a turn. Too much throttle and you'll quickly spin-out coming out of the turn.
And YES, remember these are not full caged cars!

eliminator
December 4th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Poorboy,

I will take my chances with the 5/16" bolts, plus the forward tank mounts go through the fiberglass and on the inside there is a 1/4" aluminum plate that is approximately 20" X 8" that the front 5/16" bolts go through. This also is the mounting platform for my Fram Racing Fuel Filter and Carter Electric Flow Through fuel pump. It would take alot of force to rip the tank out. One thing for sure it's better than a SP.

Eliminator

eliminator
December 4th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Poorboy,

I will take my chances with the 5/16" bolts, plus the forward tank mounts go through the fiberglass and on the inside there is a 1/4" aluminum plate that is approximately 20" X 8" that the front 5/16" bolts go through. This also is the mounting platform for my Fram Racing Fuel Filter and Carter Electric Flow Through fuel pump. It would take alot of force to rip the tank out. One thing for sure it's better than a SP.

Eliminator