PDA

View Full Version : Unique, ever improving

rdorman
December 4th, 2003, 05:13 AM
I had completely finished typing this post when the site went down!

Let try again.

We all love our Uniques and think the world of the Weavers. As an owner of a nearly twenty year old Unique I can tell you that they are constantly improving the product. I thought we might lend a hand here and make a good 'wish list' of things we would like to see. After all, how many of us refer potential customers or may ourselves buy another some day.

Here are the common ones that I hear:
- Seats. Offer an uprated seat if you want but the seats just are not that comfortable. If possible get some lumbar and lateral support in there with out killing the original look (maybe even a taller back? Removable headrest? Heat?)
- Related to the seats is that it seems as though most of us end up tilting the seat back.
- Self cancelling turn signals
- Brakes. I have not driven a new Unique but from the numbers that I have spoken to some don't seem to be pleased. Newer Unique owners please chime in on this one.
- Floor mounted brake and clutch peddles with heel rests. This one is on my list!
- Shocks. Those who switch to the Carreras seem to have them fall short of their expectations. How about a different option?

Is there a pin drive option?

How about an 'upgrade' program for us older owners????:D

Other ideas for our favorite cobra folks?

Rick

pbrown
December 4th, 2003, 05:19 AM
How about a fuel cell option and AutoMeter gauges.

--Patrick

pbrown
December 4th, 2003, 05:19 AM
How about a fuel cell option and AutoMeter gauges.

--Patrick

Oldtimer
December 4th, 2003, 05:50 AM
I agree, brakes are not up to the performance of the rest of the car. Autometer Gauges, a lower floor pan on the drivers side, and a tapered rather than a foot well on the drivers side. Seats could definitely use lombar support.They have included self canceling turn signals in the newer cars

Rich

Oldtimer
December 4th, 2003, 05:50 AM
I agree, brakes are not up to the performance of the rest of the car. Autometer Gauges, a lower floor pan on the drivers side, and a tapered rather than a foot well on the drivers side. Seats could definitely use lombar support.They have included self canceling turn signals in the newer cars

Rich

pgermond
December 4th, 2003, 05:51 AM
Great idea, but it is a little early for me to suggest any improvements. I'm just beginning to enjoy what I've got....... and at this point it is perfect :D[^]:D

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

pgermond
December 4th, 2003, 05:51 AM
Great idea, but it is a little early for me to suggest any improvements. I'm just beginning to enjoy what I've got....... and at this point it is perfect :D[^]:D

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Brent
December 4th, 2003, 06:01 AM
Raise the mounting tabs for the driveshaft loop so they are 1/4 below the fiberglass floor. Most universal driveshaft loops are 1/4 inch thick and this would help support the floor and give a better place to mount the inner seat belt.

Brent

Brent
December 4th, 2003, 06:01 AM
Raise the mounting tabs for the driveshaft loop so they are 1/4 below the fiberglass floor. Most universal driveshaft loops are 1/4 inch thick and this would help support the floor and give a better place to mount the inner seat belt.

Brent

Poorboy
December 4th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Brent
Moving the safty loop mount up has been discused. If it is moved up the bolts would have to go in from the bottom and that would make it harder to r&r it for drive shaft removal. Just make a spacer to go between the safty loop and floor to mount the seat belt.

Rick
They do have a upgrade program>>>>>>>>>>>>>>It's called a new car.

Never going to see floor mounted peddles, frame design will not allow it with out major changes.

Self-canceling turn signals already done.

They are working on a new seat.

Pin drive wheels are available.

Fuel cell will set you back close to $2000.

I think you can get almost any guage you want.

Poorboy

Poorboy
December 4th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Brent
Moving the safty loop mount up has been discused. If it is moved up the bolts would have to go in from the bottom and that would make it harder to r&r it for drive shaft removal. Just make a spacer to go between the safty loop and floor to mount the seat belt.

Rick
They do have a upgrade program>>>>>>>>>>>>>>It's called a new car.

Never going to see floor mounted peddles, frame design will not allow it with out major changes.

Self-canceling turn signals already done.

They are working on a new seat.

Pin drive wheels are available.

Fuel cell will set you back close to $2000.

I think you can get almost any guage you want.

Poorboy

Okiesnake
December 4th, 2003, 07:48 AM
I would like to see some type of an inboard steal plate extention under the seats. This would aid in having a secure mount point for the inside seat belts and the inside seat rail. I have mounted my inside seat belts on the floor almost middle of the seat area and then wrap it around the back of the seat.

Okiesnake
December 4th, 2003, 07:48 AM
I would like to see some type of an inboard steal plate extention under the seats. This would aid in having a secure mount point for the inside seat belts and the inside seat rail. I have mounted my inside seat belts on the floor almost middle of the seat area and then wrap it around the back of the seat.

casaleenie
December 4th, 2003, 10:15 AM
I'd definitely be in for a new seat when they become available.

AL

casaleenie
December 4th, 2003, 10:15 AM
I'd definitely be in for a new seat when they become available.

AL

clayfoushee
December 4th, 2003, 12:46 PM
I definitely vote for the seats. My rear is always hurting after 50 miles.

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

clayfoushee
December 4th, 2003, 12:46 PM
I definitely vote for the seats. My rear is always hurting after 50 miles.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

clayfoushee
December 4th, 2003, 12:48 PM
P.S. Brakes too.....I changed the pads to their new spec., and also adjusted the bias, but I'm still not completely comfortable that the car will stop as fast as I someday might need it to.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

clayfoushee
December 4th, 2003, 12:48 PM
P.S. Brakes too.....I changed the pads to their new spec., and also adjusted the bias, but I'm still not completely comfortable that the car will stop as fast as I someday might need it to.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

rdorman
December 4th, 2003, 09:27 PM
Glad to hear, but not at all surprised, that some of these changes are in the works or already done!

Real bummer about the floor mounted peddles. Of course that won't stop me from seeing if I can do it! I do not give up easily.

I have priced the fuel cell through ATL designed to fit the car. About $1800. Purchased in any quantity I would imagine that this would drop slightly. Subtract the cost of the current tank and that would make the upgrade cost.....??????

Maybe just adding a bladder and check valves would be a cost effective alternative. It would not be certified necessarily but......

As for seat mount. In my car the front of the seat is in glass, no steel to mount to. It is on my upgrade list. Either way, glass seat or glass body, how much difference will it really make? The belts are in steel on both sides. Seems to me that you hold the seat in place!

At the next Fling, lets swap cars for a little brake feel. I am curious to see what it is that you do not like about the current set up. It is generally a subjective thing anyways. Basically if you can lock all four wheels, you have enough brakes for the total package (tires, suspension, etc). Racing of course is another story. I have mine to the point where for normal street driving I don't even push on the peddle hard enough to set off the hydraulic brake light indicator (switching to a mechanical switch)! But I can't see where my current set up is all that much different then whats comes on the new cars. What are the specs of the new brakes anyways?

Has Unique ever looked at the seats from Richfield? Original looking steel framed seats at a reasonable price.

Rick

rdorman
December 4th, 2003, 09:27 PM
Glad to hear, but not at all surprised, that some of these changes are in the works or already done!

Real bummer about the floor mounted peddles. Of course that won't stop me from seeing if I can do it! I do not give up easily.

I have priced the fuel cell through ATL designed to fit the car. About $1800. Purchased in any quantity I would imagine that this would drop slightly. Subtract the cost of the current tank and that would make the upgrade cost.....??????

Maybe just adding a bladder and check valves would be a cost effective alternative. It would not be certified necessarily but......

As for seat mount. In my car the front of the seat is in glass, no steel to mount to. It is on my upgrade list. Either way, glass seat or glass body, how much difference will it really make? The belts are in steel on both sides. Seems to me that you hold the seat in place!

At the next Fling, lets swap cars for a little brake feel. I am curious to see what it is that you do not like about the current set up. It is generally a subjective thing anyways. Basically if you can lock all four wheels, you have enough brakes for the total package (tires, suspension, etc). Racing of course is another story. I have mine to the point where for normal street driving I don't even push on the peddle hard enough to set off the hydraulic brake light indicator (switching to a mechanical switch)! But I can't see where my current set up is all that much different then whats comes on the new cars. What are the specs of the new brakes anyways?

Has Unique ever looked at the seats from Richfield? Original looking steel framed seats at a reasonable price.

Rick