PDA

View Full Version : Finally, lumbar support!

Okiesnake
December 5th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Well in my quest for a more comfortable seat (see http://www.uniquecobra.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=290) for part 1), I have added lumbar support. It is actually very comfortable and cost next to nothing. I used small buuble wrap folded into 9 layers that end up 10" x 17". Ya I know it sounds cheap but it works well, besides I had some around and was experimenting. I took off the bottom cushion and unstapled the bottom leather base of the inside of the seat back so that I could insert the 10" x 17" square of bubble wrap. Then just restaple and re-install the bottom cushion.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/Okiesnake/PICT0093.jpg

The new lumbar insert is not cosmetically noticable but it does feel good to sit in.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/Okiesnake/PICT0095.jpg

Brent
December 6th, 2003, 06:48 AM
:D Hey I can afford that.

At this point in the game cheap works for me. An anniversary,vacation,two dauhters with birthdays,and Christmas.

Parts are on hold for a while and the snake is under cover.:(

Must keep peace in the home

Brent

pgermond
December 6th, 2003, 10:54 AM
I've got a bad back as well (fractured some parts in a Jeep accident back in the 60's), but I'm expecting that once I get this bugger on the road all my ills will be forgotten.... 'cause my my face will be sore from grinning :D

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

eliminator
December 7th, 2003, 01:59 AM
The seat back dosn't bother me but after 45 min in the car the bottom is like sitting on a board. In the motorcyle business mostly H-D there is a substance called Biker -Gel, about 1/2" thick. I had a custom seat built by LaPera out in CA with this stuff for the rider and passenger and boy is it geat. More cushioning, and reduces vibration to nearly 0. I think I am going to try it, would be very easy to do the seat bottom. I think Unique is looking at a new seat for the car, probably some time late in 2004, as info.

Eliminator

clayfoushee
December 7th, 2003, 04:45 AM
I agree that for me, it's the bottom of the seat that is, literally, a pain in the a**. I'm gonna get a thin piece of a material called Tempur (developed by NASA for spacecraft seats). It conforms to whatever size human part is putting weight on it. It's an extremely dense material (can take a flying dive and hit the mattress and the other side barely moves....ask my wife). It's widely sold by Brookstone on the net and in their mall stores. I bought a queen-size mattress and pillows made out of it 4 yrs ago, and it is amazing stuff (literally cured my morning back aches, and no I don't have any connection to them). I know they also sell thin sheets that fit on top of conventional mattresses. Probably not the cheapest solution, but I'll see if it works....can't imagine why not.

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Okiesnake
December 7th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Clay and Eliminator,
Please let us know how your seat bottom replacements work out. I feel that it takes a combination of truly getting the seat to fit in all areas to reach butt nirvana. I too used feel it mostly in the butt. Before the changes, my butt supported all of my weight. However, by raking the seat even more than I had before (From 3/4" to 2") and adding the lumbar support, my weight is now spread out to my thighs, back and butt. Granted I only got about 30 minutes of seat time in Saturday and 45 minutes today, Sunday, but I did not have the numb butt syndrome. The seat actually felt good! On a 3-hour trip I might feel differently. I still eagerly look to hear feedback form your experiments in the seat bottom cushioning.

clayfoushee
December 7th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Good pt. Okie..... about redistributing the weight a bit. I'll let you know, and I thought your idea for lumbar support was a really good cost-effective one (providing you don't start popping those bubbles). .

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Okiesnake
December 7th, 2003, 09:44 AM
I know the bubble wrap sounds goofy but it works and the bubbles don’t pop.

Okiesnake
December 7th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Clay and Eliminator,
If either of you find something that works well such as the Biker -Gel or Tempur, I would like to get "dibs" on buying some from you. I was looking on-line at the Tempur and it comes in 2", 3" and 4" in the size of a twin mattress! Obviously you would have some left over. Please remember this request!
Trent

pgermond
December 7th, 2003, 12:28 PM
I don't know, maybe I just have a fat a$$. Are those seats re-e-e-eally that uncomfortable [?]:D[?] The Unique's I've ridden in (for a short time, granted) didn't bother my butt a bit. Help me understand, although the bubble wrap is an interesting innovation that might be fun [:P]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

clayfoushee
December 7th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Phil,

Although I admit, I have a really skinny ass, and don't bend as well as I once could, the seat bottom for me is honestly brutally uncomfortable after an hour or so (can tolerate it up to that point). There just isn't enough padding for my taste, and I feel like my butt-bone is sitting directly on concrete after an hour or so.

Even though I'm new here, I've put about 700 miles on my car since August, and it didn't surprise me to hear so many others who have actually driven their cars for significant miles say the same thing.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

clayfoushee
December 7th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Trent,

When I buy the sheet of Tempur, I'll definitely send you enough for a seat cushion if you want it. I'll have plenty left over.

Regards,

Clay

Annapolis, MD

pseim
December 7th, 2003, 09:47 PM
Brookstone sells Tempurpedic neck pillows that are shaped very much like the seat cushion. They have a king size one that would do both seats.

Paul

Okiesnake
December 8th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Thanks Clay! Please ASSess me for my share.

Brent
December 8th, 2003, 06:38 AM
I went to EBAY and typed Tempur in the search engine and got 501 matches[8D]. There are alot of products listed and the pillows look just like the bottom of the seat where it raises up in the front for support of the legs.

Pseim is right a queen pillow cut in 1/2 should be perfect.

About 39.00 on EBAY.

I am going to try it.

Brent

Okiesnake
December 8th, 2003, 07:49 AM
There's not a brookstone store near me. Could one of you guys go and ask one of the sales girls if you could see how the pillow feels under your butt and report back to us? :)
Looking at the web, http://www.brookstone.com/shop/ensemble.asp?ensemble_code=TP_PILLOW&world_code=100&category_code=61&subcategory_code=627&search_type=subcategory the pillow looks like it might end up looking like a booster chair
Maybe using an electric knife you could spit it in halve or at least shave it down some.

clayfoushee
December 8th, 2003, 09:03 AM
I neglected to mention when I first suggested Tempur a few days ago, that I already tried it with an old Tempur lumbar pillow I had lying around from my back trouble days. I just put it in the seat on top and sat there for awhile (too cold and snowy to drive for the last week or so). It felt SOOOOOOOOOOOO good! Thus, I'm either going to replace the entire cushion with a Tempur pillow cut to size, or put a thin sheet of it over the existing cushion. The latter will be a nicer fit, the former more padding, but I don't want to be any higher in the car than I aleady am at 6'3".

As I also said before, I've been sleeping on a Tempur mattress with Tempur pillows for 5 years now, and it's amazing with no signs of deterioration over time. I also own a different and healthy back now.

Trent, if you don't want to wait for me to send you some to try for nothing, you can go to www.brookstone.com (or is it brookestone?) and order it directly on the web. I'm sure their are many other sites, but make sure you get the Tempur brand, not a cheap imitation.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

clayfoushee
December 8th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Since I tossed it out the Tempur idea out there, I decided to recheck it myself. While I was originally going to go with the Tempur mattress pad, cut up for a top cushion, I think the better solution is the small neck pillow on their site for $85.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

clayfoushee
December 8th, 2003, 01:30 PM
OK guys, I think I've found the perfect cost-effective solution for those interesting in trying the Tempur. Turns out I had the perfect solution stored away in my attic.

It's a lumbar pillow made of Tempur that I bought several years ago and used in my office chair. It's 13"x14" and curved on one side, flat on the bottom. At the peak of the curve it's 2" thick and 1" thick on each end.

It's almost a perfect fit for the seat bottom. After fitting it to my seat, looks like it won't even have to be cut to insert into the seat bottom. After examining the material more closely, I'm not sure what happens when you cut into Tempur. It's looks a lot like what someone else described as "gel-filled" motor cycle seats. It has a gel-like feel to it.

Better yet, I found it on the web for $34.99 at the following site:

http://healthyback.com/store/sitting/healthybacklumbarsupport.htm

That's definitely what I'm doing with mine now.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Jim Harding
December 8th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Clay,

If you're going to be at the Christmas party this Saturday, bring that along for 'show and tell'.... I'd like to get a closer look at it.

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/albums/album26/1aLeftside.thumb.jpg

Okiesnake
December 8th, 2003, 10:12 PM
Clay, it looks like you may well have found the perfect insert. The shape looks ideal. I wonder how the Healthy Back Delux ($59.99)would work as compared the the regulal model ($34.99).

clayfoushee
December 8th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Trent, My guess is the Deluxe is probably more material somewhere. My old one is the regular ($34.99), matching the measurements on that website, and it is the perfect shape for the seat bottom. I again sat on it in the car for about half and hour last night, and almost fell asleep....no aches, no pains. Now, I just have to get it inside the seat cover.

Jim, right now, we're planning to come to the party. I'll bring it along.

Don't you think the Weaver's should send me a commission on their new seat design.........;)?

Clay

Annapolis, MD

pseim
December 9th, 2003, 01:17 AM
While we're customizing the seats, in case anyone who still drives the car when its cold outside is interested, sportsimportsltd.com has aftermarket seat heaters.

Paul

Okiesnake
December 9th, 2003, 04:05 AM
Paul,
A seat warm sure would be nice! Makes me warm just thinking about it! The carbon fiber element looks like it would work well for $143.95 http://sportsimportsltd.com/afcarseathea.html

Mike Geddes
December 10th, 2003, 01:40 AM
Well....Some years I've driven my Cobra till the snow fly's.
Normally I drive it until it gets cold enough to bring tears to your
eyes....and then freeze them to your cheeks.
So far I've never really felt the need for seat warmers...in fact I do not even have a heater in my 427.....I do not have a top either.
But I must agree with everyone on the lack of comfort in the standard seats.....some great idea's came out for levels of increased comfort.
My worst trip on all counts..comfort...heat...and heated seats...was some years back on a drive to Timmins in Northern Ontario.( Yeh..it's a million miles North of the Mason Dixon Line.)....Worst October on record...snow..sleet..freezing rain.
Umm...maybe I will invest in some seat warmers when I get my car out of storage next year.
Mike

Mike Geddes

Brent
December 10th, 2003, 05:19 AM
My tempur foam will ship on friday [8D]
I think I will take the seats apart tonight and get a head start. I will post pics as I go.

My ars will be happy.:D

Brent

WBofTN
December 10th, 2003, 05:57 AM
Hey guys: I think I said this in a earlier thread, but you only need to
change the foam in the rear section of the seat bottom. The seat bottom
has 2 sections with a seam seperating them. The back section is where all
your weight is, So just pull the staples in the rear and pull out the foam. Cut and insert new foam / re-staple , and whala. 30 min. job.
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

clayfoushee
December 10th, 2003, 06:28 AM
WB.....haven't look closely yet, but I'm assuming I still need to remove rails and entire seat assembly to get to the bottom cushion....right? With a quick look, I didn't see an easy way except to unbolt everything from underneath the car.

Brent, as usual you're getting to a new retrofit, quicker than anyone else!!!!! Please do post the pictures.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

WBofTN
December 10th, 2003, 06:41 AM
yup- you will have to unbolt the seats from under the car.
When I reinstalled the seats, I bolted the seat assembly in without
the seat bottom installed. Then I used several pieces of heavy duty
velcro on the seat bottom to hold them in place. This makes it much
easier to install the seats. Now I can pop the suckers out whenever
I want too. It might not be as safe, but hopefully the 4pt harness
will keep me in place should something happen.
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

spd4me
December 10th, 2003, 07:01 AM
I drove to a car show last month, about 1 hr and 15 min drive and I felt like my tail bone had dragged all the way. I thought about getting one of those green knee pads at Brookstone for about 19.00 and just slidding it under the bottom cushion. That Temper foam stuff is made to retain its original shape, but it may compress as much as regular foam?

Oldtimer
December 10th, 2003, 07:02 AM
When I mounted my seat to the sliders I used a hinge to reattach the seat bottom.
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/Oldtimer/Seat hinge-1.jpg

Rich

clayfoushee
December 10th, 2003, 07:13 AM
Oldtimer, great idea! I may do that.

WB...thanks for the quick reply and for confirming my suppositions.....

Spd4....The Tempur does not compress as much as regular foam, and it is extremely dense, I suspect your tailbone, will no longer feel the board underneath. However, all this is speculation until one of us get's it right. We may have to experiment with thickness. I, for one, don't want to sit any higher in the car.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Okiesnake
December 10th, 2003, 08:37 PM
I was curious if Tempur type foam could be cut without leaking so I did a google search. On http://www.selectabed.com/memory_foam_comparison.htm it states, “the foam product is actually wet with petroleum based chemicals…It then cures for a certain amount of time before it is ready to be cut into mattresses or pads”
So it would appear that they cut it after it has been formed. I know a lot of foams materials are cut with lasers. Not having a laser, I wonder if a heated knife blade would work? I have cut regular foam rubber with an electric carving knife.
Also on this site it notes
“If you were to leave this mattress outside your home at night with the temperature dropping below 32 degrees…would be as hard as a brick in the morning”.
Maybe the seat heater might be a good addition!

pgermond
December 10th, 2003, 10:31 PM
[:o)] Being petroleum based, perhaps rather than a seat heater... you will have a seat igniter [:P]:D[:P]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

clayfoushee
December 10th, 2003, 11:20 PM
Tempur is rather hard when cold. From experience with my Tempur mattress and lumbar support, it is like a brick for about the first minute or so, even at 70 degrees. But it reacts very quickly to heat and forms around whatever shape (98.6 degree) weight is placed on it. It's molding ability does not seem to deteriorate over time (at least after 5 years with a Tempur mattress).

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Okiesnake
December 11th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Mike, it might be like setting on a block of ice for you in Canada when you go for one of your topless chillin drives! ;)

Okiesnake
December 12th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Well I installed the $59 Heathy Back insert for a seat cushion bottom. It was easy and it feels very comfortable. Granted, I have only sat in the car in the garage and have not gone for a long drive. Its freezing out and sleeting right now. When I first sat in the updated seat, it was a bit hard at first and I sat up about an inch higher in the seat. However, after a few minutes I sank into the seat to normal height as it took on the shape of my butt.
To update the seat cushion, I removed all of staples on the bottom of the cushion except the front edge. Then peeled back the seat cover to reveal the rear foam cushon and used a putty knife to removed the glued on foam. No wonder your butt get sore - that thin, low density foam aint much!
I unzipped and discarded the cover that came with the new cushion. The new cushion is slightly larger than the original cushion but the Tempur is somewhat temporarely moldable like putty. I compressed the leed edge of the cushion and the back corners of the Tempur. Then quickly reinstalled the seat cover.
So, after the seat rail update, the raking seat angle, the bubble wrap lumbar support and now the seat bottom, the seat feels goood!
I would say though, for taller drivers, you may want to for go the seat rails because it will raise the seat height an inch. I would still recomend raking the seat angle with a spacer under the front edge of the seat, the bubble wrap lumbar support and the Tempur seat bottom.

clayfoushee
December 12th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Trent,

I'm very glad it worked out for you. I was very confident that it would. I hope to get to mine this weekend.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

clayfoushee
December 13th, 2003, 12:35 AM
For anyone wondering, Tempur cuts very easily with no ill-effects. I just used a sharp pair of regular household scissors. It's so dense, it actually cuts straighter than standard foam.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

clayfoushee
December 14th, 2003, 09:19 AM
I installed the Tempur cushion this weekend, but I tried it 2 ways. First I pulled the leather off (same as Okie S. described above), removed the old foam and put the Tempur in (bout a 15 min. job). Stapled it back and sat on it for a half hour or so. It is a vast improvement, but it still compressed almost to the plywood board.

So, I pealed it back again, put the old foam back in with the Tempur lumbar cushion on top of the old foam and repeated the process.....VOILA!!!! "butt nirvana!!!!

You end up with a bit of an overstuffed look, but after it compresses for a minute, I don't think I'm sitting significantly higher up.

Recommend experimenting yourself.

Clay

Annapolis, MD