PDA

View Full Version : Truth and tidbits

nolastyankee
December 7th, 2003, 12:38 AM
I am new to the forum here and have been reading with interest the past week. I am extremely grateful for this page as it has given me much valuable information. My father and I started our Unique build in the past week and do truly appreciate all the learning that is here. Our build will be a little more complicated than most, and resto-build is likely the most appropriate title. We are the new owners of the legendary "Spence" car that has been the subject of much speculation, derision, and legend on other sites.

Here's the abridged truth behind the car...It is a '91 pallet kit that was delivered with everything from the deluxe kit except the interior. The car was never finished, never driven, and the body never off the frame. This last piece of information was key to our purchase as we knew not too much could be wrong if the body had never been off. So far this has proven to be true.

Contrary to popular rumor, there is no frame damage, the rear end works just fine, and we do have the MSO. A huge thanks to Poorboy for taking a look at the car before we drove from Wisconsin to Alabama to pick it up.

I'll be posting updates for the entertainment of all, and pictures as soon as I can compress them on my PC here at home. For now, here is installment 1 of the build chronicle, or simple titled "He did what?"

[?] The car has an engine and trans in it and was running when we picked it up. Sitting in the garage after getting it home, there was a strong smell of gas that didn't seem to want to go away despite my best efforts to identify the source. As we removed the fuel filler neck, rotten fuel lines, and gas tank we realized that the first "owner" had left duct tape (duct tape for hell sakes!) over the tank vent hole. After draining the tank, trashing the old lines, and cleaning up the authentic Alabama "black water" that had accumulated under the tank, the garage smells just fine again...

More stories to come, Brian Carlson (nolastyankee)

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Brent
December 7th, 2003, 12:56 AM
:D:D That's wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!

Please keep us posted.

Congratulations to you for saving this poor car. A diamond in the rough for sure.

I am sure Alan is happy to see this halo of crud go away.:)

Brent

eliminator
December 7th, 2003, 01:26 AM
Brian,

I know you guy's will do a good job on the build, I knew someone would jump on this sooner or later. The price was right and now to have some fun...good luck[^]

Eliminator

brfutbrian
December 7th, 2003, 02:32 AM
brian, congratulations, that unique and its former owner has probably had more words written about it than any other unique, or maybe any other replica ever made. sounds like itll get the proper build it always deserved. enjoy your build. keep us posted. later, brian

GeorgiaSnake
December 7th, 2003, 06:33 AM
Way to go ! Keep us posted on the rebuild.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Silk
December 7th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Brian,

Glad the car finally has a good home. It had something of an "urban legend" aura about it, with people convinced the frame had been hacked up, etc. If the trunk were bigger, people would probably have speculated that there were bodies crammed into it! :D But all that probably worked to your advantage in keeping the price down and other buyers away. Again, congrats!

Gary
Unique FIA 351W

jhaynie
December 8th, 2003, 09:43 PM
I think half of what started all of the speculation about this car was the guy who owned it in Kentucky.

nolastyankee
December 8th, 2003, 10:34 PM
There is no doubt that our friend in Kentucky had a lot to do with the stories and legend of the car. Many have told tales of no return phone calls, calling and getting the "Call back in 30 minutes", and some actually showed with cash and he would not sell the car.

It didn't help that as a technician the original owner made enhancements like relocating the battery to the passenger footwell for god knows what reason. I'll admit, all the talk had me a bit spooked, but the facts just didn't support what I was seeing on the car. A wise man once told me to be careful of people whose talk was louder than their side pipes...

Bottom line, "Brian's Cobra Rescue" has opened for business and has it's first (and hopefully only) client. All those e-mail postings will make a fun addition to the documentation of the car.

Perhaps "RBN LGND" will be a good license plate for this one.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car