PDA

View Full Version : Things to remember

Brent
December 11th, 2003, 08:46 PM
[^] Now that it is cold and snowing I thought some of you "senior members" that have had your cars out on the road for a while could put "visions of sugar plums" in the heads of those of us that have not finished our snake yet.

Question : :D:DWhat moment is the most memorable about your Cobra?

:D:DWhat is the best compliment your Cobra has recieved?

I only drove my car 600 miles last year and it was not painted nor did it have any carpet in it and I had an absolute blast. I can't wait until spring when its done.

Help us stay in the garage with smiles this winter.

Brent

Okiesnake
December 12th, 2003, 12:12 AM
One of the most memorable moments was shortly after I had finished the car. My daughter who was 15 at the time, rode shotgun with me to a small town near by for a cruise nite. Once a year they close main street off. First they have a parade and then after, all of the muscle cars cruise up and down doing occasional burn outs. We were running late and I did have to push the speed limit a little but we got there on time for the parade. I had just finished putting on all the badges. There were muscle cars galore but my car got the greatest attention. My daughter's picture was on the front page of their newspaper the next day, sitting in the car. The car ran great and my daughter had a big smile on her face the whole time. Next summer, she's going to be the driver and I'm ridding shotgun.

One of the best compliments; I met some friends in Dallas at 'Dave and Busters' for lunch. I had parked the Cobra and was waiting by the front door for my friends to finish parking.
Serveral kids where on their way in to D & B for a birthday party when a couple of the 8 to 10 year olds made a diversion over to look at my car. The kid's mom calls for them to hurry up! One of the kids hollars back "Aw Mom, Can't a kid just dream for 2 Minutes?"

Mike Geddes
December 12th, 2003, 04:51 AM
I suppose for me, one of the most memorable mments was when I first took my Cobra to the Woodward Ave.
Dream Cruise in Detroit. ( The biggest cruise in the USA.)
Maybe a little explanation about the colour ( or lack of colour ) of my Cora is in order.
My Cobra is sprayed with ICI Aluminum enamel paint ( 65% aluminum solids content).
It is NOT shiny....it is not a consistant colour all over....it looks like aluminum panels.
I acheived this look by painting the car when the temparature was way below freezing ( not hard in Canada) and the drying time took days....the metal particles in the paint sit at different angles.
It's a pain in the ass to look after....and they don't make the paint anymore.

Anyway back to the subject.
As well as the aluminun look I also have the # 98 and AP decals on the car...same as one of Shelby's.
We got so many compliments and standing ovations along that 4 mile strip it was unreal.
At the end of the night we were approached by one of the judges....to present us with a prize for an
outstanding entry.....It was then that I had to declare that the car was a replica...( they do not do up close judging at the Woodward Cruise...It's by drive by appeal ).....Got the prize anyway.

I have not been to the Woodward Cruise for a few years now....maybe I should give it a shot next year.
Mike

Mike Geddes

clayfoushee
December 12th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Great story Mike. I've had a couple of similar experiences in the 2 car shows I took my car. With mostly FFRs around here, I get numerous comments, from spectators claiming to know a lot about real Cobras. I'll never forget an older gentlemen tell me he could spot a "kit car" vs. a "real cobra a mile away....asked me how I could afford to insure it, and now could I possibly have the nerve to put it on the streets in traffic."

A lot of people think the Unique car looks more "real" than many other makes.

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

pgermond
December 12th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Today will be very memorable - lit the fuse on my engine for the first time and it exploded with that unmistakable roar of a big block Ford [:P]:D[:P]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

clayfoushee
December 12th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Congrats Phil....isn't that the greatest sound in the world?!!! My dogs initially learned to run for cover whenever I sat in the Cobra....didn't do it with the Bimmer...wonder why? Now, they've gotten a bit smarter. They only run away when I open the garage door AND sit in the Cobra.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

pgermond
December 12th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Clay, Them are some smart dogs!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

GeorgiaSnake
December 13th, 2003, 05:10 AM
I remember the first ride [8]:D[:O]:) I had installed the drivers seat and placed a pile of carpet pad on the passenger side. My 18 year old son jumped in settled down on the pads and off we went. We drove about a 1/2 mile down the country road we live on and pulled over to turn around. I asked the my son what he thought and he replied, "cool". I turned around got it headed straight and eased up to about 15 mph then dropped the hammer. Holy $hit I thought as we went sideways and shot down the road. I'm not sure but I think me son said what I thought, I couldn't hear anything except the tires screaming and the exhaust roaring. I hit second and the same thing happened, except much quicker. I eased of the throttle, shifted to third then hit the brakes before we missed the driveway.
As I pulled into the garage I noticed the huge grin on our faces. My son ran in the house and yelled, "Mom dad has built a rocket ship".

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

pgermond
December 13th, 2003, 09:10 AM
Randy, That story brought I smile to my face. My daughter came over today and I fired this monster up..... I thought I was going to have to peeler her off the ceiling of the garage!!! She can't wait to go for ride. Rocket ship... more like a rocket sled :D

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

clayfoushee
December 13th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Fabulous story, Randy....thanks.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Brent
December 13th, 2003, 11:13 PM
We were at the St.Louis childrens hospital last year and my 5 yr old daughter was having an MRI & CAT scan done. She was scared to death to go into that long tube alone. The nurse was trying to calm her down along with my wife and having no luck. My daughter turned to me and asked if she was good could she go for a ride in the Cobra when we got home. I assured her that would happen and I almost cried.She went through the exam like a champ and upon returning home she stepped out of my wifes car and walked directly to the Cobra and opened the door and sat down. Off to the ice cream shop we went with a HUGE smile.

I will never forget that day as long as I live.

Brent

glenn
December 14th, 2003, 12:07 AM
All great stories guys. thanks
Hope to have some of my own tto tell before long.
Brent, Good idea on Post your engine pictures, will do once i get a camera and learn how to post pictures.
Glenn

rdorman
December 15th, 2003, 12:20 AM
Foundest memory has to be the drive home after I bought the car. 2000 miles from Tempe Arizona to Columbus Ohio. The whole story is on Club Cobra. Search for Frick and Fracks Excellent Adventure.

Compliments. Tough one. Lots of nice things have been said. The ones that mean the most to me are like the night I first brought the car home from Arizona. The first words out of my wifes mouth after not seeing me for five days was "This is WAYYYYY cooler in person!"

Rick