PDA

View Full Version : Engine Selection

tburdett
December 14th, 2003, 09:50 AM
I just joined UniqueCobra.com last week. I am researching the purchase of a Unique 289 Kit. I'm trying to come up with the best estimate of my total costs. One big cost will be the engine/trans. I plan on driving the car for enjoyment, not competition, but want good performance in addition to reliabilty. What would be the best package? 302,351 (custom, crate) I would think a crate would be the most economical but would like others opinions. Also, I've shifted gears all my life and was even considering an automatic, but don't know how practical that would be. Any cooments would be appreciated.

dmiller
December 14th, 2003, 11:16 AM
i took a worn out engine and built it, with the advise and help of a mechanic. it was rewarding, still haven't run the engine.

my engine is very trick, but i did it just to do it that way. short of supercharging, it is about as hot as one could make a street engine. 351 W stroked to 408, with alum. heads, and fuel injection, lumpy roller cam and lifters.

the most economic choice, after seeing the never ending expenses of more parts not originally planned for, is a crate engine.
and you get a warrenty that it is going to work.

but, i wanted to build an engine. if it runs as well as planned, that will be a source of satisfaction. and i've enjoyed it. very time consuming also.

doug

pgermond
December 14th, 2003, 12:10 PM
An automatic transmission in a Cobra?????? Shame on you :D[:o)]:D If you are serious about a Unique my recommendation is to call Bill Parham at Southern Automotive http://www.southernautomotiveengines.com/ . The thing I have against crate motors is they are just stamped out, one after another, after another... they have no soul. Bill takes pride in every motor be builds and he gives them his personal touch.

There you have it.... my $0.02 worth.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

GeorgiaSnake
December 14th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Anthony I have a 289 car with one of Southern Automotives stroked 351 (396). Give Bill a call.

Doug if I might ask how much did you end up spending on your motor for machine work and parts.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Brent
December 14th, 2003, 08:48 PM
tburdett,
A crate is by far the most economical way to go. Alot depends on your ability to maintain the combination you choose. If tuning,timing,running the valves,inspecting valvetrain components,and routine maint. are all well within your ability then you might think about a more performance oriented combination. Crate motors usually perform quite well as they are a "matched pkg." Some engine builds are a buffet of high performance parts that may or may not perform well together and require alot of machining and checking to fit each other.

The big question is what do you want? If you want a reliable cruiser with low maint., then a 427 stroker with 12.5-1 comp and a big roller is probably not the right combination for you.

As a rule of thumb a crate engine will run you about 1/2 the cost of a performance engine from a builder. It is very easy to spend 7 to 10,000 with a builder.

Maybe you can give the group more information about your expectations for your Cobra.

Bernt

dmiller
December 14th, 2003, 10:00 PM
the costs are a closely held national secret, if certain foreign agents deguised as wife were ever able to obtain this data, the cost of jewelry would be monumental.

at one time i was keeping a log, but most recently, i've just dipped into the pocket without logging. i'll find that log, and publish it only if i have sworn statements from all on this forum that they will never discuss with their wife, they all network don't you know?

i agree with Brent's estimate that cost is about 1/2 with a crate. my cost are not in the $10,000 area, because i'm doing the work. but parts and tremec 5 speed trans are probably above $7000.

Joe LaFives
December 14th, 2003, 11:23 PM
I've got a 302 crate from FOMOCO. Plenty of usable power for the car.

WBofTN
December 14th, 2003, 11:51 PM
Anthony:
An automatic would most likely hurt the re-sale value of a Cobra.
Just something to think a/b. However, Its your baby, and you will
be drivin it - I hope.
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

eliminator
December 15th, 2003, 12:19 AM
I will have to agree with several on the Auto Trans.,resale will take a big hit. At some time in your life you will sell it. Plus a Cobra with an auto is not a big hit with any of the car folks, like car shows, cruise's, ect. But bottom line, it's your car. On the engine, if money is a factor, go with a crate engine. If you want something else talk to SA, and I understand Unique is a dealer for Roush Engines and they have some good prices and back their engines.

Eliminator

rdorman
December 15th, 2003, 04:45 AM
While 'crate' engines are a good value, I have issues with them. Most, if not all, are not run in on the dyno where build issues can be corrected and come with no warrenty. Personally, if they don't run it in on the dyno and/or don't warranty, stand behind it, I don't want it. There are a number of very good builders out there. Both local and national. Buy for quality. If Unique is affiliated with Roush, hard to go wrong there.

Just for cruising around 350 horsepower is plenty. You will still dust darn near everything on the street. Stick with a windsor. Go 289 if you are looking for authenticity. Keep the compression low so it will run on pump gas without an issue. Fuel injection when properly set up can be nice from a drivability standpoint but will add to the cost unless you go for one off a used stocker. Go with the five speed with the over drive. Nice for those long cruises. Put a taller rear in it for some extra quickness.

Check for bargians from the other Cobra owners. If you can do some of the work yourself, you will save a good bit of money. A gently used, mild build engine can be had for a fraction of the original price. Just take it to a professional builder for a once over and a run in on the dyno to give you a better indicator that it is going to last.

If you can't get the motor you want now or money is an issue, get a stocker of the same size and stick it in there. Spend your time fine tuning your needs and wants. Dress it up as time and interest dictate. Then, when you have decided, you can put all those parts on a new long block (so long as you don't go to crazy!). You can have the engine and trans from a late model 5.0 with low miles for a pretty good price. As far as appearence is concerned, a few bolt on's here and there and it will have an original appearence.

So many get hung up on 'all new parts'. When you go to sell it, if ever, then they are not all new any more are they?!?! Don't get me wrong. Do not skimp. Put in the best you can get for your budget. But if push comes to shove buy the better car (like Unique!), put in the donor engine and transmission (OEM reliability) until such time you can afford the 'good' stuff. Example: My Unique is over 18 years old in the last two years of owner ship I have HAD to replace a wheel bearing. One.

Last thought about this. You WILL go over budget. :)

Just some random thoughts.

Rick