PDA

View Full Version : 17" pin drives.

rdorman
December 15th, 2003, 09:18 PM
I would like to put 17" pin drives wheels on my car using probably Nitto 450 255/50/17 and 275/50/17 tires. I do not like the look of the compomotive wheels. PSE, Trigos, something along that line. My car has the older MG front end. Any recommendations?
Rick

If I do this, I will have a spare set of very nice PSE GT40 type wheels!

Okiesnake
December 15th, 2003, 11:11 PM
I have 15" Trigos and have thought about getting an additional set of 17" rims to put on some higher performance tires. The Goodrich TA's that are on the car now leave a little to be desired when it comes to performance. I would like to have another set of tires for the track or even occasionally pushing the performance curve on the street when no one else is around, (nothing like getting up early in the summertime and having your favorite road to yourself!). On Clubcobra.com, Clay has pictures in his gallery of both the 15" and 17" rims. Take a look at his pictures and I think you will agree with Clay that the 15"s look period correct and cosmetically better. I have also thought about just getting a set of 15” slicks. For shows or everyday street driving, I will keep the TA’s on for looks.

Trent

rdorman
December 16th, 2003, 01:23 AM
I couldn't agree more about the appearence issue. If it where not for that I would already have 17" rims on the cars.

I think saying the TAs leave a little bit to be desired is the understatement of the century! Trust me. I went from TAs to Hoosier street TDs (my current tires). The car felt reborn. The difference in all respects is simply amazing. Still the hoosiers are nothing but grooved slicks. If it rains, you are parked. $675 a set in a box with a very short life span and no wet weather traction is no way to live! Not to mention the rocks, the wandering and the ride. But boy when it is dry....!!!!!!!!!!!

So here I am. Any one with some specific recomendations for this Unique for 17" pin drives? Any one tried those tires? Tallest tire I could find with out going over board on the width. The rears are taller than my old 275/50 TAs and shorter than my current 275/60 hoosiers.

Thanks
Rick