PDA

View Full Version : Front Suspension

lonnie
December 16th, 2003, 01:47 AM
My Cobra has the MGB front suspension and I have been thinking of changing it to the new type coil over. Has anyone done this? If so please let me know what your thoughts are about it.
Thanks Lonnie

rdorman
December 16th, 2003, 02:28 AM
I am going to the Hawk setup. Jim Prier is in the process of doing so. Check in the Artnz/Butler forum on Club Cobra under front suspension. Long thread with lots of good information.

If you are considering a brake upgrade as well you would be well advised to look into the complete front end offered by Unique. But the time you buy all the stuff their front end is hard to beat from a value standpoint. Not to mention a bolt in affair.

Rick

bittentoo
December 16th, 2003, 06:29 AM
I would call the Weavers at Unique, great people and won't guide you wrong!

lonnie
December 16th, 2003, 06:31 PM
The complete Unique setup is what I am thinking about. How hard is it to install on a competeted car? Is the handeling inproved? Is the ride changed?
Thanks Lonnie

Buzz
December 19th, 2003, 05:54 AM
Lonnie, I had posted a reply a couple of days ago, but some posts and threads seem to have been lost in the switch to the new server.
I switched to the newer Unique coil-over suspension in my car and it remains one of the best purchases I have made for my Cobra. The difference in ride, handling, steering and braking is literally night and day. The new setup is also lighter than the old MGB arrangement and that can't hurt any.
The actual swap itself is a piece of cake. Disconnect your brake lines, steering shaft and sway bar. With a floor jack under the suspension crossmember, remove the four socket head bolts holding the crossmember to the frame and drop the whole thing out. Balance the new assembly (complete, including hubs, brakes, shocks and steering rack) carefully the a floor jack, wheel it in and jack it up into position. Bolt it into the same four mounting holes and re-attach everything. The shock towers which are included need to be welded in place - locating them properly is a snap with the suspension in place. Double check your four mounting bolts. You may need to do an eyeball alignment adjustment at the tie rod ends, make sure all grease points are lubed and then bleed your brakes (the toughest part of the whole job). Did I remind you to check and recheck your four mounting bolts? (obviously there's a story here).
I did the whole thing by myself minus the welding and bleeding in less than 2 hours. Adjust your shock settings to the desired ride height. Drive to the shop for a proper alignment and you're set to enjoy. Double check those mounting bolts.
;)

Tropical Buzz

lonnie
December 20th, 2003, 01:20 AM
Buzz
Thanks for the reply.That is just the info I was looking for. Guess I'll put off the fuel injection for now.
Thanks Lonnie