PDA

View Full Version : Home Coming ?

GeorgiaSnake
December 16th, 2003, 08:21 AM
I think a meeting in Gadsden would be fun and would do whatever possible to make it. With that said I think we need to discuss it with the Weavers. For those of you that haven't ogranized such an event it is a major undertaking.

My thoughts are that we contact the Weavers and see if and when it works for them. I also think we should cover the cost associated with a major event.

Your thoughts !

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Okiesnake
December 16th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Randy,
Thanks for spear heading this! I do appreciate what a major undertaking it is. Granted I'm here in SW Oklahoma, but I'll do what ever I can to help. I still haven't heard back from the e-mail I sent off to Talladega Gran Prix Raceway. I'm sure a phone call from the Weavers to the track could make all that change. I too agree that we should cover the cost.

Trent

GeorgiaSnake
December 16th, 2003, 10:12 AM
Trent I think Unique may want to pass on organizing anything where speed is envolved, I have no prior knowledge just a hunch.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Okiesnake
December 16th, 2003, 11:32 AM
For years, Unique use to organize it all themselves (It was called Cobrafest prior to the Shelby-Cobra name lawsuit thing) and they always had a speed event at the Talladega Gran Prix Raceway on the third day event. It was a timed event, one car on the track at a time. They gave out awards for men’s SB and BB classes and even women’s SB and BB classes. Of course there was a signed waiver of liability for all participants.

Brent
December 16th, 2003, 11:38 AM
I am sure the homecoming helps the Weavers sell some cars (I was one of them)and it is nice for potential buyers to see whats new and see alot of really nice cars. [8D]

That being said. I do not feel they should pay for awards,trophys,track time,etc. These items should require an entry fee.

Our RV dealership has a customer appreciation party every September with a band,catered dinner,rides for the kids,magician and prizes. When we started this tradition 7 years ago it cost around 7,000.00. Last year we served food to over 2,400 people and the cost was over 48,000.00 for only 6 hours. I understand the expense and the planning required to do this, however, I understand the benefit as well.

I agree the track time is probably out of the question. The year I went I noticed the Weavers were a pale color of green[xx(] during the entire event and only regained their natural color[:I] after the last car cleared the track.

Brent

Okiesnake
December 16th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Guys,
I love you all BUT I don't get the negativity about the track day. Why should the track time be out of the question? A typical 1-day track rental for 30 cars would probably be around $4,000 to 4,500 Divide that by 30 is $150 or less per car. Talladega Gran Prix Raceway is not the big track they run NASCAR on with big banked turns and scary cement walls to bounce off of. We’re not talking about fender to fender racing. It would be one car on the track at a time. This is a great place for novices to have fun. Check out Talladega Gran Prix Raceways web sit out. http://www.tgprace.com/

mgreene
December 24th, 2003, 04:30 AM
We rent out TGPR 3-4 times per year. Costs around $2300 dollars. Divide that by 20-25 cars and the price is very reasonable. The insurance wnet up last year because of a motorcycle accident. He also does not allow Corvettes or Vipers on the track anymore.

'66 GT-350H : '69 428SCJ Mach 1
'70 Boss 302 : '93 SVT Cobra
Unique 289 FIA (351C)

clayfoushee
December 24th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Sounds very reasonable. I'd pay my share if I manage to make it there. BTW, any news on whether the Weavers are going to host the event in the first place?

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD