PDA

View Full Version : Canton Oil Pan Capacity

clayfoushee
December 21st, 2003, 10:47 AM
I'm sure I can find the answers somewhere else quickly, but thought maybe I could get a quick answer here. It's time for me to change the oil for the first time since I acquired my car.

Questions: What's the capacity of the Canton pan, 8 qts? Does that include filter?

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

pgermond
December 21st, 2003, 11:31 AM
Clay,

I changed mine before my first start-up a couple of weeks ago and it took nine quarts, including remote cooler and lines (assuming the dip stick is accurate).

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

clayfoushee
December 21st, 2003, 11:37 AM
Thanks Phil, that's what I was expecting and needed to confirm. What oil are you running in a new engine?

Clay

Annapolis, MD

pgermond
December 21st, 2003, 12:23 PM
Clay,

20W-50 Valvoline VR-1 Racing.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Brent
December 21st, 2003, 12:38 PM
I run 10 quarts in mine. Canton road race pan,remote filter,and cooler.

Brent

eliminator
December 21st, 2003, 09:13 PM
I would say Brent is close to being correct, I run 8 1/2 quarts in mine. The K&N filter alone will take 3/4 qt then there are quite a few feet in lines and your rempte oil cooler. My engine is a SA 427 and it reads about 1/4" above full when it's at 9 quarts. So I think probably close to 9 qts is correct. You really can't go by the dipstick as these are aftermarket and it depends on how deep the tube goes into the block. PLEASE SEE THE LATER MESSAGE ON THIS THREAD HOW TO DETERMINE YOUR FULL OIL LEVEL, CALIBRATING THE DIPSTICK.

Eliminator

Silk
December 21st, 2003, 09:31 PM
Clay,

Capacity depends on which Canton pan you have. A lot of Cobras have the road race "T" pan, which is an 8 qt. pan for a 9 qt. system (including filter and remote oil cooler). But Canton makes a number of performance pans with different capacities. Best thing to do would be to give the Canton folks a call. Their tech number is 203-481-9943.

Gary
Unique FIA 351W

clayfoushee
December 21st, 2003, 10:27 PM
Thanks all, I will give the Canton folks a call. I believe mine is the road race "T" pan, but they also make a similar looking T pan without the baffles.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

eliminator
December 22nd, 2003, 12:35 AM
Canton only makes two pans for the FE, both 8 qt. capacity. Measure the width of the sump, the high capacity pan is 12 1/2" the road race pan is 13" (only difference visually) from the outside. Also the p/n is on the front corner of the pan, you can check the numbers out on Cantons web site. All SA engines are 8 qt (system capacity) high capacity unless you specified in the build that you wanted a road race pan and paid the difference. Kinda misleading!![V] See the old post od SA Engine Oil Pans.

Eliminator

clayfoushee
December 22nd, 2003, 10:42 AM
Thanks Tony.....very helpful

Clay

Annapolis, MD

eliminator
January 12th, 2004, 12:01 AM
Just bough a new Cantor Road Race Pan and Windage tray, selling the high capacity T pan and pick-up. Asked the question about capacit and got this answer" System capacities refer to pan and a 1 quart filter. Canton oil pans are designed so the capacities listed will put the oil level just below the windage tray. In most cases this is below the stock level and will keep the oil further away from the rotating assembly. We recommend the pan be filled only with the amount of oil called out, and then the dip stick or oil level check be marked accordingly."[?] I was also told how to go about this, with the pan empty, drain overnight to get all oil out, Put the drain plug in and fill with 7 measured quarts of oil, let it sit for around 1 hour so that the 7 qt's get in the pan. Put the dipstick in and note and mark the level, (probably have to use a file to notch the dip-stick) this is your correct oil level. Now what they are telling us, (I called the tech line), a 8 qt pan is assuming 1 qt is for the filter so the pan capacity is 7 quarts. For us with the oil cooler and remote filter mount and lines the best way is to get the pan capacity at 7 qt's then you could add one quart (fill the new oil filter with oil) use the rest in the engine (now we have used a total of 8 quarts)
then once you run the engine the mark on the dip stick is the correct full mark. So you may have to add a little over 8 quarts to make up for oil lines, and the oil cooler. Hope this clears this subject up[^].

Brent
January 12th, 2004, 12:33 AM
Good post Rick.

I have so much oil in mine I could remove the pump and just let the crank splash it around.

Brent

clayfoushee
January 12th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Very good post. What that means is that my dipstick was accurate all along, but I did end up adding 9qts, which looks about a quart too high. No worries....that engine is still breaking in, and it'll go away soon enough....LOL.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

eliminator
December 2nd, 2004, 08:15 AM
Here we go.:D:D

Rick

KrAzEcJ
December 2nd, 2004, 08:45 AM
You guys know will be revisting this again for CJ. 460 Canton roadrace pan with baffles and remote oil cooler. LOL

Unique 4279459