PDA

View Full Version : Kirkham's

clayfoushee
December 28th, 2003, 01:22 AM
If you had to do it over again, would you buy a brushed aluminum Kirham completed close to the level (minus radiator, diffy, and half shafts) of the Unique "deluxe pallet" for $39,000 or buy the Unique again?

I'm curious because last night David Kirkham posted a "one time marketing experiment" on Club Cobra last night, where he is offering exactly that on e Bay for the that buy it now price. The starting bid is the same, so the first and only bidder gets the car.

What do you guys think?

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

casaleenie
December 28th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Your question is what? Would you buy the Kirkham or would you buy the Unique????

You're going to have to reword the question....

I would buy the Unique again, definitely.... The more I think about an aluminum car the less I'm interested.... I like the glass!!!

AL

clayfoushee
December 28th, 2003, 11:06 AM
After re-reading it, my question was clear enough.

It was IF YOU HAD TO DO IT OVER AGAIN, which would you buy (price being approximately equivalent)?

I'm very happy with my Unique, and have serious reservations about aluminum too (especially since someone backed into my Unique pax side at low speed in a parking lot with virtually zero damage). I was simply curious because so many people seem to lust after the Kirham AL bodies. I'm pretty fond of the glass Unique body too now. But, if I were in the market for the first time, I'm not sure which way I'd go. That was the essence of my curiosity.

No other nefarious purpose intended. I'm a big fan of my car and the Weavers.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Brent
December 28th, 2003, 11:09 AM
"One time marketing experiment" What the hell does that mean? You either sell the car for that or you don't. A buyer can not base his decision on a once in a lifetime oppertunity. A Kirkham is a very nice car, however, it is not nor will ever be in the price range of a Unique so the comparison is unrealistic.

David sure loves that forum as a national advertising campaign.

Brent

eliminator
December 28th, 2003, 09:11 PM
I agree with Brent, like I answered on the Club Cobra Forum. The question is un-realistic and he is not going to sell his cars at that price. It's all Marketing hype. When his Deluxe Roller is 75,000 - 80,000 without engine, transmission, or paint and he's going to sell pallet kits for 39,000, give me a break!!! It's all about getting folks charged up, kinda like when the Powerball goes to 300,000,000, dream, dream.

Eliminator

clayfoushee
December 28th, 2003, 10:49 PM
Good points guys. It is probably unrealistic. I was surprised to see that price too, but then again it wasn't snapped up right away either. I haven't looked today to see it it's still available. I'm NOT gonna bite, because I am happy with my car, but it started me thinking, what would I do if I had to do it all over again? I probably would have jumped on it. It is a bit like hitting the Powerball though, if it is available at that price.

I was simply asking the question here, because there are lot of opinions I respect here.....unlike the p.....g contests that characterize CC....not trying to cause a ruckus.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

WBofTN
December 28th, 2003, 11:19 PM
I have never seen a Kirkham in person. I always thought it was the replica
to buy, but some of my local cobra buddies saw one last year a the spring
fling and they were dissappointed in the fit & finish. So, now I'm not so
sure a/b the "replica to buy" statement. I suspect there is a fair amount
of envy involved with my buddies comments - I would have to see one in
person before I purchased one.
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

clayfoushee
December 28th, 2003, 11:56 PM
It's still available after a day and a half......what's up with that if this really were the Lotto Jackpot?

Clay

Annapolis, MD

rdorman
December 29th, 2003, 01:15 AM
IF the price was approximately equivelant I would probably go the Kirkham route. BUT the price is NOT approximately equivelant. There is approximately $17,000 difference. Nearly twice the price!

While I beleive that Kirkham makes one of the finest cars period, I don't think you can touch the value of a Unique.

Rick

casaleenie
December 29th, 2003, 03:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by clayfoushee

If you had to do it over again, would you buy a brushed aluminum Kirham completed close to the level (minus radiator, diffy, and half shafts) of the Unique "deluxe pallet" for $39,000 or buy the Unique again?

I'm curious because last night David Kirkham posted a "one time marketing experiment" on Club Cobra last night, where he is offering exactly that on e Bay for the that buy it now price. The starting bid is the same, so the first and only bidder gets the car.

What do you guys think?

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Again,

You're asking two questions here.. One being would you buy the Kirkham and the second being would you buy the Unique....

Your only answer options are:
YES
NO
MAYBE

If I answer Definetly Yes...What am I saying Yes to????[?]
Yes I'd buy the Kirkham?????
OR
Yes I'd buy the Unique??????

and my answer is -- I would definetly buy the Unique again...

AL

clayfoushee
December 29th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Got your point Al, I didn't take the time to structure a scientificaly valid survey...just a quick question I typed in without much thought. But, I'm not interested in a scientific poll, just wanted to hear what people thought about the choice between a Kirkham and our cars at approximately the same price point, if in fact that is a real price for cars at comparable stages of completion.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Okiesnake
December 29th, 2003, 06:48 AM
The $39K price is very attractive. If I didn’t all ready have a car, I would probably go the aluminum for the price difference. But, as Rick pointed out, the difference in $39K and Unique’s deluxe pallet is over $16k and I haven’t looked carefully enough at Kirkham’s pallet kit to know if it is as complete as Unique’s deluxe pallet. The price difference of $39K and Uniques’ plain pallet kit is $19K. Now add another $12K to $15K to either kit to detail & finish PLUS motor & trans.

casaleenie
December 29th, 2003, 07:07 AM
Clay,

I was pretty sure I knew what you meant and I'm sure everyone else did also. Just being a PITA as usual....just splitting hairs...
I'm absolutely convinced that the Unique is the best buys out there today.
and I think the Unique owners tend to be the satisfied of all the replica owners.. Less complaining and less defending of brand than any other. Definitly a happier bunch...
Personally, I think the Kirkhams are a class act and work hard at what they do...

AL

clayfoushee
December 29th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Okie,

I think the Kirkham being offered on E-Bay is closer to the deluxe pallet, minus the radiator, and differential, so the price is probably closer. Not sure what I'd do. If I had an aluminum car, my door would look more like slightly used aluminum foil right now, but the Kirhkham's are very nice machines and also seem to be decent people.

Al,

I usually post these things so fast, and never proofread very carefully, but you're right, I should have left off the last "or would you buy Unique again" for it to be entirely clear. A friend of mine on the CACC forum has a tag line that always makes me chuckle, "Always proofread carefully so you don't leave any words."

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Okiesnake
December 29th, 2003, 08:03 AM
I still love my Unique and the Weavers.
Looking at the car on ebay - It is interesting. "This car is a design prototype. It was built to see if a Hybrid could have a wider rear end to accomodate larger tires and a larger fuel tank." It's a cross between a 289 and a 427. I think I would like it better if it was either one or the other. “This is our complete roller except for: powertrain, radiator, engine, transmission, differential, half shafts, gauges.” It also is going to need some type of exhaust system (under-slung or side pipes).

Evidentally it’s a $11,450 discounted price for their marketing “hybrid” “experiment”

$52,500 for the complete roller
$ 1500 for "basic sanded" body finish
$ 400 for stainless heatshields
$ 400 for powdercoated cockpit panels
-$ 1500 for differential deletion
-$ 750 for half shafts deletion
-$ 650 for radiator and fan
-$ 550 for gauges deletion
------------------------
$51,350 total.

Still a bargin but maybe a little funky.

clayfoushee
December 29th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Also interesting is that CSXs 3001 and 3002 were also "hybrids." Apparently Shelby and Ken Miles built 20 or so cars that were "crosses" between the 289 and 427. Several on CC have noted that this car would be a very close clone to 3001 and 3002.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Okiesnake
December 29th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Clay,
Are you going to go for it?

clayfoushee
December 29th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Nope.....I'm sticking to what I have....and happy with it! Maybe someday, if my wife catches the fever.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

clayfoushee
December 29th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Nope.....I'm sticking to what I have....and happy with it! Maybe someday, if my wife catches the fever.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Joe LaFives
December 30th, 2003, 05:59 AM
I think the Kirkhams are great cars. The thing is, for me, its a lot more that $16K difference. My complete car has about 30K into it. To get the Kirkham at 39K plus add another 20K and it's a 42K difference. If I could get a completed kirkham for 39K I'd jump at it. Plus it would need to be an FIA shape not the partical 289 car.

Brent
December 30th, 2003, 11:45 AM
I have looked at a few Kirkhams and for the money I am not impressed. I am happy with what I have also and I would do the same thing all over again. If I could build and own a second car a FIA would be awesome. It would be a Unique also.

Brent

casaleenie
December 30th, 2003, 10:59 PM
I've got to agree with Brent on this.... If I have a car built it would be another 289 and it would be incredible and it would be a Unique.... It's where I want to be price-wise and I'm thrilled with the one I have.
The Unique sits right, looks right, rides great, etc...and are held in high esteem in the replica world.... I get more compliments on that little car...:)

AL

Mike Geddes
January 1st, 2004, 08:23 PM
It would appear that Kirkhams have shaved a bunch of money off the cost of the body to get their car to the $39K level.
When they first started getting those things fabricated at the old MIG factory in Poland they where asking $26K alone just for the body.
Mike

Mike Geddes