PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure

dmiller
December 29th, 2003, 11:12 PM
should i be able to drive the oil pump with an electric drill motor and see oil pressure?

i've tried it, and don't see any, nor any oil out of the remote oil filter.

i didn't spin it very long( ~ 10 sec ), but kinda thought i'd see some oil coming out of the oil filter.

and, yes i did put oil in the oil pan.

thanks

doug

bittentoo
December 29th, 2003, 11:30 PM
I believe that you will have to spin the oil pump counter-clockwise and for more than 10 seconds. Good luck!

dmiller
December 29th, 2003, 11:31 PM
was spinning ccw, but hopefully just not long enough. thanks

eliminator
December 29th, 2003, 11:33 PM
Should take more than 10 seconds and you can tell by the drill that its pumping, becomes very hard to turn. And yes you should see the oil pressure on the guage.

Eliminator

dmiller
December 30th, 2003, 12:07 AM
pressure came up,

once fewer things to worry about now. but still lots of worry ahead.

thanks

have a good holiday, and watch LSU win first national champ since before i can remember.

doug

eliminator
December 30th, 2003, 02:05 AM
What happens if USC wins too, now there's some intresting stuff. Better save that for the Sports Forums. By the way I am not a USC fan.

Eliminator

K.Wilson
December 30th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Doug,
If you primed the pump before you installed it (just a few drops of oil in the pick-up side of the pump and turn the pump shaft with your fingers a few turns to get the gears wet with oil) you should be able to get oil pressure by just turning the pump with a "speed handle" and a 1/4 inch deep socket. I never use a drill anymore as you can accomplish the same thing with the speed handle. I also use a deep socket as I had a short socket fly off one time when I used a drill and I had to pull the pan off to get it back.
I always do this now with the engine still on the engine stand and an oil gauge hooked up, and with the valve covers off. That way you can see that it has acceptable oil pressure before it gets in the car and you can verify each of the rockers are getting oil before you put the valve covers on.
"One test now is worth a thousand expert opinions later"
Keith

Keith

Brent
December 30th, 2003, 08:11 AM
K.Wilson,

Great advice. Anything you can do on the stand DO IT. Just before I re assemble the pump I smear a very thin layer of vaseline on both gears and it picks up instantly. Very thin is the key you don't want a glob in the oiling system.

Brent

dmiller
December 30th, 2003, 09:07 AM
both good advice. thank you.
i did prime the pump, but used a drill motor, next time will use the speed handle, good idea.