PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Speedo

pgermond
January 3rd, 2004, 08:36 AM
Okay... let's play stump the panel of experts.

Anybody have any problems w/their speedo's not working? I have a reverse Autometer speedometer that has failed to operate. I don't believe it is the gauge at this point. Here is what I have done.

1. I disconnected the cable at the speedo, held the square cable and made a loop in front of the house (not over 1 mi per/hr… probably less, for 50 ft). The cable didn't move.

2. I disconnected the cable at the transmission, had the wife watch the disconnected cable at the speedo end while I turned the gear. Nada… nothing, no movement.

To me it sounds like a bad (brand new) cable. Another question - since I have the carpet in, grommets, etc. I reeeeeally don’t want to be removing the whole cable assembly. Can the nylon gear on the transmission end of the cable be removed so I can replace the square cable with out removing complete cable assembly? Also, there is a cylinder shaped thing-a-ma-jig at the end of the cable just before the nylon gear. Is this some sort of gear reduction. transponder, thing-ma-bob that maybe the culprit?

Thanks to all who reply -

Sorry guys, but I think I'm going to have more questions now that the car is drivable than before when it was up on stands.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Okiesnake
January 3rd, 2004, 09:53 AM
Phil,
Try driving the car in reverse and see if the speedo reads. When I first hooked mine up, it did not register. My daughter noticed that the odometer was running in reverse as I drove down the road. Top Loaders and Tremacs speedometer cables run opposite from one another. I have a Tremac and the adaptor that (goes on the end of the speedometer) Unique sent me was set up for a Top Loader. I was able to take the adaptor apart and flip the gearing around so that it ran in the proper direction.

Brent
January 3rd, 2004, 10:10 AM
Toploader speedo gears:(

Plastic junk!

If you have an angle adapter that threads on the speedo it is probably a reverse adapter for a toploader. Some toploaders have the cable exit on the driver side and some exit on the passenger side and some need the adapter and some don't. If the trans has the wrong plastic gear in it it can also cause the problem. Also check to make sure the drive cable is engaged and both ends of the cable are threaded in all the way. You should not be able to turn the cable by hand if the cable is seated on the trans gear.You can look in the hole on the trans. and see if the gear is OK.

Okie is right, try backing up and see if you get a reading. If you do ditch the reverse adapter. The bad thing is the speedo is probably junk after being run backward. Butch Capps ran into this last year on his and had to replace the speedo.

Good luck

Brent

pgermond
January 3rd, 2004, 10:39 AM
The odometer/speedo don't run in reverse, BUT, I think I can not turn the cable when disconnected from the adapter (don't recall).... which means the gear isn't engaged, OR the cables bad.

Sometimes I can't see the forest 'cause of the trees.

THANKS!!!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Poorboy
January 3rd, 2004, 12:54 PM
Pull the cable out of the trans and look in the trans housing to make sure the gear is on the output shaft. Is the cylinder shaped thing-a-ma-jig made on the end of the cable? If it is it should have an o-ring around it where it goes into the trans, and a clip that a bolt goes though to hold it in the trans. That will be a stock Ford cable assembly and the square cable(or chain) can be replaced with out removing the housing.

Poorboy

pgermond
January 3rd, 2004, 01:23 PM
Poorboy -

Pull the cable out of the trans and look in the trans housing to make sure the gear is on the output shaft. [u]The gear is in place because I have to line it up before I slide it in</u>. Is the cylinder shaped thing-a-ma-jig made on the end of the cable? [u]Yes</u> If it is it should have an o-ring around it where it goes into the trans, and a clip that a bolt goes though to hold it in the trans. [u]Yes, it has an-o-ring and clip </u>That will be a stock Ford cable assembly and the square cable(or chain) can be replaced with out removing the housing. [u]Can you tell me how to remove the nylon gear?</u> BTW, thanks for your assistance....

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Poorboy
January 4th, 2004, 01:24 AM
Phil,
There should be a flat metal clip going though the side of the nylon gear. Pull it out and the gear will slide off. Look at the square cable and the end of gear where the cable sticks into to make sure they are both in good condition and that the gear will turn the cable. If you need I can take some pictures of these parts for you.

Poorboy

pgermond
January 4th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Poorboy and all,

I'm now a certified speedo cable expert, thanks in large part to Poorboy. This was the darndest think I've ever come across. The cable (or chain) was sheered at the end that goes into the trans. I discovered this by removing the retainer clip (thanks Poorboy... guess I need stronger glasses 'cause I missed the clip the first time). So, the gear is in the tail shaft, I have a new chain installed, hook everything back up and ... nada, nope, nothing, the needle doesn't move. Pull the cable off the reverse adapter, spin the rear wheels and the cahin moves clockwise just the way it's suppose to. Removed the adapter from the speedo, connect the cable from the trans to the adapter, spin the wheels, and Presto! It is turning counter clockwise (perfect!) A bad speedo? Nope! What I discovered after much trial and error (using a cordless drill and the square end from the old chain) was that the small shaft (about and inch and half long) that is inserted into the reverse adapter and drives the gauge was too long! When I tighten the adapter-to-speedo connection it would bind up and the needle wouldn't move. So with a simple squeeze on the handle of a pair of dykes and re-installing the shortened drive rod.... speedo works!!! Go figure!

Thanks for all the replies :D

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

eliminator
January 4th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Don't ya just love it when the plan comes together:D:D!!!!

Eliminator