PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Brake Mounting

Copper01
January 4th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions on mounting the handle for the emergency brake? I've reviewed all the pictures I can find, along with those in the new assembly manual and they all seem to show it mounting directly to the outside wall of the transmission tunnel. The problem is that there is a lock nut just above the rachet mechanism which extends well out past the mounting plate and this is obviously going to lock down against the transmission tunnel when it's bolted up. :( Any suggestions and especially pictures would be most appreciated.

It was great to finally hear it run and now we're in the middle of putting in the emergency brake, seats and seatbelts. As soon as that's finished, I can get the state inspection done and then I can get it registered and on the road. This is going to be a GREAT year! :D

Ben
Unique 427
SA 427SO w/ Toploader
Guardsman Blue w/ White Stripes

Brent
January 4th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Eliminator has completely reworked the cable assy. and Alan and Maurice have met with him to design the kit for Unique. It is all in the mounting of the handle and the cable. Most cable operated brakes fail to work properely due to movement of the cable. If the cable deflects anywhere it does not pull tight.

He can shed more light on this subject

Brent

brfutbrian
January 4th, 2004, 08:26 AM
ben, i made a two piece 1/4 " aluminum sandwich plate to beef up the tunnel. you still need more clearance so on the plate that goes on the interior of the car i put a couple of washers on the front bolt to offset the handle even more so that locknut would clear, and not be too tight to the tunnel on the grip. the plate under the car is u shaped with an open bottom to clear the cable lever. it a real tight fit, but it works. then i made a new cable lever to change the angle that the cable is pulled(same as the one that comes with the handle, with the keyway rotated about 30 degrees)then it was a cakewalk. mine works like a million bucks,and was worth every minute it took to figure out. later, brian

eliminator
January 4th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Ben,

Alan and Maurice should have the spacers I designed ready real soon if not already done. There are few other issues to make it work correctly. Send me you e-mail at rpb1200@aol.com and I will forward the pictures of the install.

Eliminator