PDA

View Full Version : Shifter (or linkage) binding

Tony Radford
January 6th, 2004, 02:47 AM
Though my car is a 427SC, my shifter is of the FIA variety (comp plus shifter with straight Indy stick). During my recent engine swap, I got one of the guys to check my shifter linkage, which appeared to be emitting a rattling sound (I was able to put pressure on the shifter stick and make the rattle go away). I was told that one of the linkage connections was loose and ready to fall out. Since it was tightened, everytime I back up and try to shift from reverse to first, the shifter binds up and I have to work it back and forth a few times before it "pops" into the neutral position and allows me to smoothly shift to first. During a cruise last Sunday while stopped at an intersection (I had shifted to neutral), I was unable to get the shifter into first gear. As a matter of fact, the only gear I could find was fourth (smell that clutch). Does this sound like a linkage adjustment issue (if it is even adjustable)? I never had this problem until the loose hardware was tightened, which leads me to believe it is an adjustment problem. Any experience/insight?

427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

Brent
January 6th, 2004, 02:56 AM
You might check the adjustment. On a hurst Comp plus when the shifter is in neutral you put an alignment pin through the shifter base and then tighten everything. Then remove the pin and you should be close. I would start there.

How can you hear a shifter arm rattle over that 427 stroker?????????

Brent

Okiesnake
January 6th, 2004, 03:11 AM
What Trans are you using? Have you ever bottomed out and banged the bell housing hard?

Tony Radford
January 6th, 2004, 03:40 AM
As a matter of fact, I did bang the housing on a speed bump pretty hard on Saturday. And the bolts that go around the bellhousing are not installed. This wouldn't have been an issue with regards to the hard reverse to first binding, but it certainly could have been an issue on the "can't find anything but fourth gear" on Sunday.

I heard the rattling with the other engine and had it checked when the stroker was being installed.

Poorboy
January 6th, 2004, 07:33 AM
You need to adjust the linkage as Brent said. The trouble is I don't think you can get the alignment pin in because of the trans tunnel. Sometimes you can adjust them just by eyesight from under the car. There is suppose to be a bushing on the the adjuster where it goes into the shifter leavers, make sure they are all there.

Poorboy

Okiesnake
January 6th, 2004, 07:49 AM
I assume you are using a Top Loader trans since it sounds like you are talking about external linkage parts being loose. Tremac's have all internal linkages.
I have a Tremac. It would often to become difficult to shift in and out of second and then later it sometimes would be difficult in and out of 1st.

I had banged the bottom of the bell housing pretty hard once but the problem didn’t start showing up until a few hundred miles later. It turned out that the face of the bell housing was bent ever so slightly, causing the trans to no longer be perfectly aligned. It ended up damaging the internals of the trans and I had to have it rebuilt. The speed shop I took it to had the bell housing re-stamped in a press and got the alignment back to spec. I would recommend to EVERYONE to shave off the bottom of the bell housing flange.
Your problem may not be at all the same, but I thought I’d share so ideas.

Tony Radford
January 6th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Okie, yep, it's a toploader. I really think it's an adjustment thing. Man, I wish I had a lift! I'm just entirely too lazy to get the thing up onto jack stands. But if this chilly weather keeps up, I may as well break down and do it.

souzape
January 6th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Tony- I would definitely check to make sure all the shift rods have bushings. I too have a toploader from SA and had a similar problem after an initial bolt tightening session. After installing the missing bushing everything has been OK.

PHIL SOUZA

Poorboy
January 6th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Tony,
Another possibly is where the levers bolt to the transmission. You said you tightened up the linkage. Did you tighten the nuts that hold the levers to the transmission ? I have run into a few levers that if tightened up will bind aganst the transmission housing. You can sometimes smooth up the side of the lever that fits aganst the trans.

Poorboy

Tony Radford
January 7th, 2004, 12:50 AM
Thanks Phil, that could be the case. I will have to get up underneath and look to see if I can tell if anything might be missing.

Poorboy, that sounds like a high probability. It started binding RIGHT after John at SA (not me) tighted it up. I don't know exactly what John tigntened, but knowing that the linkage rods are hand-formed in a vise, binding sounds possible. On another note, the 5/16 or 3/8 fasteners that secure the bellhousing to the block plate are not installed. Shouldn't I put them in when I get underneath?

Poorboy
January 7th, 2004, 04:44 AM
Tony,
The bolts should be put if you are not going to cut the bottom flang off of the shield.

Poorboy