PDA

View Full Version : Front Brake Problem Revisited

pgermond
January 6th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Just as I had anticipated - pilot error was the cause [xx(] After a brief converstaion with Alan this morning he set me straight. The problem was the bias adjustment - the horiziontal thread rod on the brake pedal. I can lock'em up now with out any problem.

After battling this for damn near two weeks, the conclusion I've come to is Alan is not allowed anymore time off for an extended period, until I have all the bugs worked out ;)

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pgermond/12 Brake pedal linkage.jpg

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

dmiller
January 6th, 2004, 12:11 PM
will you explain what you learned?

although with my continuing slow progress, i may never need brakes.

pgermond
January 6th, 2004, 12:29 PM
The bias adjustment insures the front master cylinder (m/c) receives the most pressure from the pedal. The adjustment on mine was kind of back-asswards. You will notice in the picture the majority of the threaded rod sticking out is toward the clutch pedal. Before I adjusted it, the threaded rod was sticking out on the accelerator pedal side. This caused the rear m/c to engage with very little pressure on the front m/c. The majority of the stopping power comes from the front discs (like 75% front - 25% rear... something like that).

Just one of things you learn along the way, so I thought I would share. I fought this for almost two weeks, so hopefully this will assist other if they encounter this problem.

Damn! I'm glad it's behind me... now I can sleep [^]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

WBofTN
January 6th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Thanks for posting the pic and info Phil - I believe I have the wrong bias
also. No way to lock up the brakes. This info will give me yet another reason to tinker and test drive.
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

clayfoushee
January 7th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Now Phillip, you weren't paying attention, when I told you about that more than a week ago in your "embarrassment" thread on the line lock problem. We're gonna have to make you write on the blackboard 100 times.......LOL.

I mentioned I had gone through the same thing and the Weavers had told me about the 66/33 front/back bias adjustment. Now just make sure you break in those new pads the right way!!!

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Brent
January 7th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Clay is a nun with a yard stick. WACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brent

pgermond
January 7th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Clay,

I obviously missed it or didn't comprehend what you were telling me. If there was a "dunce cap" smile I would post it one hundred times ;) I'll pay close attention in the future.... I promise, I promise, I promise, I promise....... [B)]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

clayfoushee
January 7th, 2004, 10:23 AM
You're a good boy Phil. I know you'll try to do better[}:)]

Clay

Annapolis, MD

clayfoushee
January 7th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Phil,

All humor aside, I should have posted a picture like you did to illustrate the point. Words are sometimes too obtuse, and when you're just scanning postings, too easy to miss. The picture of your bias adjustment looks just about exactly the way I have mine set now, and I'm satisfied. But, when I first took delivery of my car it was about the way you were describing yours, and scary that the previous owner drove it that way. Glad he never had to stop really fast. Because of individual car differences, one may not be able to go just by sight. If your car's locking up too quickly in front, I'd go back the other way a little.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

pgermond
January 7th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Will do. This weekend when it's dry I'll put them to the test.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

eliminator
January 7th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Just add the Wilwood Brake Bias adjuster and you can sit in the cockpit and adjust the knob for your driving style;), about $45.00 and one hour of install time. Beats crawling under the dash all the time:D:D.
Plus for those who don't remember we had a big thread on front brakes about 6-8 months ago. Do a search and look it up!

Eliminator

WBofTN
January 8th, 2004, 03:12 AM
Eliminator:
is this the bias adjustment kit you installed?:

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp&type=bykeyword&searchtype=both&part=wilwood+bias&x=16&y=12

And where did you mount your knob??

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

brfutbrian
January 8th, 2004, 10:04 AM
WB, thats the bias knob i have in my car. like eliminator said , takes about an hour to install. have mine mounted on the dash, to the left of the column. give wilwood a call. i bought mine from one of their reps at a car show for something like 30 bucks. later, brian.

eliminator
January 8th, 2004, 09:33 PM
WB,

I made an aluminum bracket and drilled and tapped my cowl brace (1/4X20). Mounted it just above my right kneeand to the right. It's out of the way and easy to adjust. Just a 90 degree bracket and mount the Brake Bias adjuster to it, have to drill a hole in the middle. I personally didn't want to mount it in the dash as my car is as "close to a orginal 427 S/C as I could make it" even though there were many variations. Trying to keep the dash clean. Plus this is a big Blue Knob. Will post a picture of the install later. And yes this is the correct adjuster, you can see it on Wilwood's Site also.

Eliminator

Okiesnake
January 10th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the good info everyone. I am going to order the remote Wilwood Brake Bias adjuster. Eliminate and Brian, I would love to see pics of the knob mount on both your cars. Please post them if you get a chance.