PDA

View Full Version : Hood has gone out of alignment

jhaynie
January 7th, 2004, 06:07 AM
I was noticing recently that the left to right alignment of my hood is out at the top of the hood (nearest to the windshield). What may have caused this? My first thought was that having the hood up on the prop rod for a few days might have warped the hood. I hope that isn't the problem. Any other ideas?

weaver
January 7th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Either the hood hinge or hinge bracket is loose, check and retighten and you should be OK.

Alan

patrija
January 7th, 2004, 06:41 AM
I've had a similar problem with mine - the hood seems to loosen over time. I just retighten it every now and then.

Brent
January 7th, 2004, 07:24 AM
500HP fiberglass car:D

Chit moves[8D]

Brent

clayfoushee
January 7th, 2004, 10:42 AM
The brackets may move as does everthing else in the car does, and I keep finding stuff unscrewing itself after 5000 miles. But, the fiberglass shouldn't warp...that stuff's pretty tough. All you new car guys, just remember to keep checking and tightening everything. After buying mine with 3900 mi. on it, I have slowly but surely tightened just about everything on the car, and just about everthing was loose.

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

GeorgiaSnake
January 8th, 2004, 07:26 AM
I notice my hood looked a little wacked and seemed to be shaking. I opened it up and found one of the bumpers was missing. I'm thinking that I may put weather strip in place of the bumpers - anyone done this ?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Brent
January 8th, 2004, 07:37 AM
The temp. under the hood will greatly increase if you put a seal all the way around the hood. I used screws up from the bottom that go into the center of my rubber bushings to hold them. This also allowed me to trim them on the bottom for proper hood alignment and not trim on the top of the bushing where you could see it.

Brent

GeorgiaSnake
January 8th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Brent that is what came with my kit. The screw must have backed out on one of them. The Kirkham uses the weather strip on about half of the opening, half way up each side and across the back (firewall side).

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

clayfoushee
January 8th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Randy,

I used 5/8" 3M adhesive-backed, weather stripping around the center back section (nearest the firewall) about 2/3rds of the distance from fender to fender, centered. I then used the same around the entire front end of the hood. Everything sits nice and tight now.

Since the recess in the body where the hood sits is not an equal distance all the way around, you can't use it all the way around. I tried it and the hood doesn't seat properaly.

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD