PDA

View Full Version : fuel gage oddity

dmiller
January 9th, 2004, 06:38 AM
with the master switch off, no electrical possible, the fuel gage reads approx. 1/2 tank.

with the master swithc on, but ignition off, the fuel gage indicates empty, no fuel.

with the ignition switch in the acc. position the gage indicates what i think is the correct amount of fuel.

with the ignition switch in the run positon, the gage reads empty tank again.

i can live with this, but am curious.

thanks

eliminator
January 9th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Sounds like a problem with the ground, if the tank sending unit is grounded it will read empty. Have you got aluminum backed insulation on top of the tank and sending unit? If so this is creating a direct short or to ground. The tank itself should be to ground when the rear brackets are bolted to the frame.

Eliminator

Jim Harding
January 10th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Doug,

Do you have a simple voltmeter? Attach the ground lead to the frame or battery negative and the positive lead to the fuel tank sender.

You should have voltage (not necessarily 12 volts) in the run position and depending how the thing is wired, also in the ACC position. It appears that your gauge is powered from the ACC terminal on the ignition switch. Most ignition switches will supply voltage to the ACC connector in the run position too, so in this regard, I'm confused as to what you are seeing. Maybe a bad switch?

- Jim -

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/albums/album26/1aLeftside.thumb.jpg

dmiller
January 10th, 2004, 06:53 AM
that's a good idea, will do next.

thanks

doug