PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Scraping Sound

GeorgiaSnake
January 9th, 2004, 07:35 AM
I have noticed a grinding or scraping noise in the rear end when coasting to a stop. I think it is a brake pad dragging on the rotor but I'm not sure. Anybody had a similar sound? It doesn't happen often just enough to be annoying.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

eliminator
January 9th, 2004, 08:52 AM
You got me there, try going down a hill, cut the engine and let it coast in neutral at low speed then apply the brakes , on and off and see if it is in fact the brakes. These things coast great and they are so quite, you can hear anything happening.

Eliminator

pgermond
January 9th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Mine sound that way before I got the correct bias adjustment, and used more of the front disc for stopping - made a hell of noise [xx(]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Jim Harding
January 10th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Had the same problem too..... I used to say the car was farting.... cause that's what it sounded like! Only did it under light pedal pressure, hard braking was OK. Bias adjustments helped, but also new OEM Jag pads (not the cheap jip pads) helped more.

- Jim -

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/albums/album26/1aLeftside.thumb.jpg

Okiesnake
January 10th, 2004, 12:43 PM
My car started doing that. I typically cut the motor off and coast into the garage and that was when I first noticed it. It got progressively worse. It turned out to be the bearing it the outer right hub. Of course your noise may be caused from something completely different. With the motor on, it is all but impossible to hear anything besides the side pipes. I would recommend to everyone to do the following and listen making sure everything is correct on your car.
Find a flat stretch of road. Put the car in neutral and kill the motor while going about 20 mph and coast to a stop. The do it again and apply the brakes slowly to a stop. The do it again and firmly apply the brakes stop.

GeorgiaSnake
January 10th, 2004, 07:02 PM
I hope it is a dragging brake and not a bearing. I can't see how a bearing would fail in 1400 miles. I have only experienced it 3 or 4 times and only after slowing to about 10 mph. When I get it off the jack stands and it warms up a bit I will try coasting as several have suggested. Keep your collective fingers crossed :)

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Okiesnake
January 11th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Randy,
Not to worry you but, that's about the mileage that mine had when it began making noise.

GeorgiaSnake
January 11th, 2004, 07:18 PM
1400 miles and it failed [:O].

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Okiesnake
January 12th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Are you saying that it was the bearing?

GeorgiaSnake
January 12th, 2004, 08:17 PM
No! I'm saying that a bearing failure at 1400 miles would be unacceptable in my book.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver