PDA

View Full Version : first 5 miles

dmiller
January 10th, 2004, 07:03 AM
drove it first time today, all of 5 miles, in two sorties, aroung the neighborhood block.

hood, trunk, seats, and doors didn't go with us, still in the garage.

discovered that my clutch slave isn't stroking long enough, will get a smaller diameter, longer stroke, and make a new mount for it. i've discussed this problem in another thread. this problem is my own making because of the clutch that i selected, centerforce dual action.

i'm not happy with the brakes, but have not tried to balance, as pagermond reported balancing them solved his brakes.

but what fun, just what i needed, to make up for what seems like a lot of treading water and not getting anywhere.

Brent
January 10th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Great!!!

Gets you fired up doesn't it?

Brent

clayfoushee
January 10th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Congratulations...quite a thrill isn't it. Don't worry about the tweaks (e.g. brakes, clutch, etc.).....just a fact of life with all cars of this vintage, but a major part of the satisfaction.

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

eliminator
January 11th, 2004, 05:43 AM
When I first drove mine, no door's, no hood, no trunk lid, no brakes. Well it had brakes but until you seat the brake pads there are no breaks. The more you use the breaks the better they get.

Eliminator

pgermond
January 11th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Congrats, man. Every time you drive it you will come back with a list of "to do's", which is half the fun. Be sure to check everything, i.e. header bolts, etc. I've been driving mine 6-10 miles, then back up on the jack stands and back undeneath checking nuts and bolts to insure everything is nice and snug. After retightening a time or two things begin to seat very well.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

dmiller
January 11th, 2004, 08:38 AM
thank you. i've still got a major fix to do with the clutch not having enough travel. ordered a new larger bore master cyl. and hope that fixes the problem.

also, a more powerful starter motor, my standard starter will just turn the engine over. don't think it is wiring problem, think it is compression.

so many more things to do.

but having fun.

doug

bittentoo
January 11th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Congrats, dmiller! I know that must feel great driving the car for the first time[^]

I hope to be doing the same thing in about 2 weeks:D

Brent
January 11th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Bitten,

Do not get in a hurry!!!!! You will regret it forever if you do. You have a AWESOME looking car and it "should" take you much longer than 2 weeks to be driving if you do it right.

Sorry to be so opinionated:D

Brent

eliminator
January 11th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Doug,

Your motor probably has the stock Ford Starter, take it off and sell it on ebay. I have a Tilton that I love, there are other good ones. These mini, high torque starters give you more header to starter clearance and starting power for the amps they draw. Heat dosn't drag them down either. For all that have stock OEM type starters on the BB FE engines, you WILL be changing starters, the only question is going to be WHEN. And another thing if someone tells you that your car will sound like a Chrysler Product starting if you change, they don't have a clue of what they are talking about. Once these FE engines get hot and the stock unit gets hot it will not do the job.

Eliminator

dmiller
January 12th, 2004, 12:07 AM
new starter is on order, from JEGS, don't remember the make, but said it would accommodate 15:1 compression. that's a lot more than i have.

also, a larger master cyl.

thanks

doug

Brent
January 12th, 2004, 12:41 AM
I had a Tilton on the racecar and a Powermaster on the Cobra and they both work well. The only problem I had with the Tilton was when the Injection would burp and break all of the teeth off of the gear drive. The good thing is you can change it in less time than it takes to take off the starter.

Brent

bittentoo
January 12th, 2004, 02:56 AM
Brent,

No apologies necessary!

The only reason that I will be burning the midnight oil is to have the car ready for the big cobra meet in Austin ther last weekend of February.

And I've never meet anyone with a cobra that was opinionated:D