PDA

View Full Version : Stump The Panel - wanna play?

pgermond
January 12th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Okay, here's another question for this esteemed panel of experts -

I have an Autometer reverse speedo, with the reverse adapter, and a top loader from Southern Automotive. I had some problems when I first connected it (discussed last week under another topic - the drive shaft from the reverser to the gauge was too long and when connections were tightened it bound up, so I cut it to shorten it), and thought I had everything ironed out.... until a few days ago. I was under the car and thought I would look at the nylon gear and count the teeth because at 40 mph it was registering 35 mph. I pulled the cable/gear out of the tranny and found it was pretty chewed up on one side. I'm not sure, but this may have occurred when the cable bound up (?) At any rate, it needs to be replaced. You will see from the picture below that it is a pink 19-tooth LH. I visited the local Ford dealer and they had nothing in stock and weren't any help.

It seems the direction of the teeth on the gear, which I believe is LH, is an oddity. Any ideas or thoughts, guys?

The drive speedo gear in the tail shaft is green, if that provides any clues for you experts.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pgermond/13 speedo gear.JPG

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Okiesnake
January 12th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Don't know, but looking at your tools, they look like a telephone installer's tool. Red spudger for 66 blocks and maybe a pair of yellow handled Scotch block pliers?

pgermond
January 12th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Okie, you are very observant. Yeah, I'm an old telephone guy. Started w/Western Electric in January 1971. I've progressed a bit since then, but still have a lot of those useful tools in the drawers (purchased, of course ;) ).

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Okiesnake
January 12th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Phil,
Looking at the gear, I wonder if the gear wasn't fully seated and therefore its mating gear only meshed at very top of the gear. Either that or is was in too tight and bound. Also, I don't know if some light grease should have been applied to the gear when installing? I was thinking that mine came with a packet of light grease but I may be wrong. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

eliminator
January 12th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Easy solution and the only soluntion I know of. Look up Dan Williams TopLoaders phone number.
Have all the info available, tire size, rear gear ratio, transmission info, and he has all the old Ford info so he can tell you what gears are needed for the speedometer. Also he can pin point your problem. Think he is only available from noon to 9PM, something like that. He did all of mine from me and I have a SW Reverse Speedometer and it's right on the numbers (MPH) and works fine. You may have to pull the tailshaft to replace the mainshaft gear, hope not.

Eliminator

Brent
January 13th, 2004, 12:49 AM
From the looks of that gear you will need to replace the pair anyway.

Brent

pgermond
January 13th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Eliminator,

I tried to contact Dan Williams today, but the message said they are on a road trip and will be back tomorrow (thanks for the tip) I'll call tomorrow (Interesting hours noon to midnight)

Brent,

Surprising at at may seem the drive gear in the tail shaft appears to be okay (damn, I do have some luck!)

This is the goofiest thing I've ever come across... live-n-learn.

Thanks for the assistance, guys :D

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Brent
January 13th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Phil,

You could also try David Kee or Toploader Heaven. Both have websites.

Brent

eliminator
January 13th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Phil & Brent,

Dan Williams is the only one I know of with the old Ford Charts on the matching of gears to get the MPH right. If there is someone else let me know.

Eliminator

Steve C.
December 30th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Try Southern Automotive and talk to Bill Parham. 770-898-9360.
I had a similar problem and found out that the 4 speed toploader has two varieties. One with the speedo gear going in on the left and one on the right. I ground my speedo gear and gear in the tranny because used the gear that went on the right side instead of the left. (threads are reversed that way)

Steve

Naumoff
December 31st, 2006, 05:23 AM
Sorry Steve,
Phil should have updated his thread. He fixed it 3 years ago.
BAD Phil!:mad:

Naumoff
December 31st, 2006, 05:25 AM
Steve,
Isn't Fauquier County Southern Northern Va.?;)

sllib
December 31st, 2006, 05:59 AM
Down here we prefer fo think of it as Northern Southern Virginia!!
Bill Stradtner

Steve C.
January 1st, 2007, 08:42 AM
Silly me. I Should have paid attention to the post date.

As for the geographics of Fauquier County, Maybe it is northern mid-central Virginia?