PDA

View Full Version : First Ride

Copper01
January 12th, 2004, 01:20 PM
We did it tonight. There's still several things that need to be done, but we actually drove it for the first time tonight.

Here's one backing it out of the garage.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/Copper01/P1120049a.jpg

Here's where we're leaving our street.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/Copper01/P1120061a.jpg

And here's where we got home.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/Copper01/P1120063a.jpg

My son went with me and I don't know exactly what he expected, but he seemed to spend a lot of time saying "Holy $hit!"

Not so bad...

Ben
Unique 427
SA 427SO w/ Toploader
Guardsman Blue w/ White Stripes

dmiller
January 12th, 2004, 08:06 PM
great news.

doug

bittentoo
January 12th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Looks like a proud father to me[^]

weaver
January 12th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Loks like your front susp settled quite a bit, you will need to put a few miles on it before setting it for alignment. You should try adjusting the toe end to make it drive better untill it is aligned. By the way, your car looks great.

Alan

eliminator
January 12th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Car looks real good, I like that short sleeve weather. Now the adjusting part which is fun too!. Something dosn't look right with the wipers?

Eliminator

WBofTN
January 12th, 2004, 11:30 PM
very pretty car ben!
I know you will love driving it. Thats the best thing
a/b a replica. Drivin! I have had old muscle cars and love to wax and tinker on them - but driving them? a 10 or 15 minute ride was enough. My last toy was a '67 SS 350 convt. Camero (Show condition) I hated the steering slop and suspension roll etc. I guess I've been spoiled with new car ride and handling. I would drive the Camero maybe 6-8 times a year.
But, now that I have a cobra: I drive it weekly for the most part. I look
for errons to run on saturday and take sunday cruises often.
So, Ben - "drive drive drive"
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

Brent
January 13th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Congrats!!!

Beautiful car!! My 6 yr old daughter went with me last week Im glad she wasn't saying the same thing your son did.

But I'm sure she will before I know it. :-(

Brent

Copper01
January 13th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Hi Eliminator,

Yes, I think I'm going to need some schooling on adjusting the wipers. I found that if I adjust them to where then look good at rest, they run off the bottom of the windshield [V] at the other end of the cycle. In the rest position that you see them in now, they at least stay on glass for the full cycle. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Ben
Unique 427
SA 427SO w/ Toploader

clayfoushee
January 13th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Ben,

Awesome car....congratulations....looks great!!!! My 15 yr. old. daughter said the same thing, then "sorry Dad, couldn't help it," the first time I hit the hammer. I agree with Alan, crank those coil overs up some to level the car and keep the front from bottoming and tires from rubbing against that beautiful body. Also, unless they're using a different wiper motor assembly now, I think the blades are supposed to be pointing in the opposite direction? At least mine are and they rest pointing to the left (as you sit in the car) right down at the bottom of the windshield frame.

WBofTN, funny we had the same experience. I did a 69 Cam. SS350 convertible to showroom perfection.....drove it 6-8 times a year, and always wondered why we used to think they were so hot. When someone offered me $30K for it, I took his check and immediately bought my Unique (for a little more money....OK actually a lot more).

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

eliminator
January 13th, 2004, 03:29 AM
Ben,

They should park to your left if you are sitting in the car, the drivers side all the way to the left and the passenger side all the way to the left. Basically just the opposite of where they are now and down parallel to the chrome trim on the windshield. They are a little aggravating to get just right.

Eliminator

WBofTN
January 13th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Clay:
Re: the same experience
I sold my Camero for a profit early last year (seems funny to sale a car
for profit). I had been researching Cobra kits prior to the sale - and
naturally gravitated to Unique. I spoke to Alan by phone b/c I had
never seen a Unique in person. He suggested I give a call to a guy in
west TN a/b a hour away who had a nice 427. I did call the guy, but never
took him up on his offer to come and see it. I spent around 2 more months
thinking about building one when out of the blue the guy in west TN called
me. He informed me that he recently had heart surgry and was thinking a/b selling his Car. I asked how much ......Next day I was driving around in
MY Cobra:D. Its an older build (he started building it in '93) and it has
a few blemishes, but you know I kinda like it that way. I not scared to drive it or park it in a parking lot. Its like when you get that first door ding in your brand new car. It makes you sick[xx(], but the 2nd aint so bad.
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

glenn
January 18th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Ben, Car looks great, hope to be in that stage before long. If i ever get my car back from the paint shop. How long did it take till you got it on the road after the painting?
Glenn

Okiesnake
January 18th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Congratulations! Your smile says it all. The Guardsman Blue w/ White Stripes sure looks classy.

pgermond
January 18th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Oh yeah, that is one fine looking car. I took mine out today for a couple of hours to log some miles. Did a little trolling... here, Chevy, Chevy, Chevy. There is NEVER a vette around when you need one :D:D[}:)]:D:D

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Copper01
January 18th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Hi Glenn,

That's probably not a good question for me to answer. It took over six months, but that's because I right after I picked it up, I moved for the first time in 26 years, took the family to Florida for our annual vacation and then spent the next three months in EMT school. Poor planning on my part. I can say that once I got started, it took about two months to get to this point.

Ben
Unique 427
SA 427SO w/ Toploader