PDA

View Full Version : Key Blanks Revisited

Copper01
January 13th, 2004, 09:58 PM
I posted this awhile back, but I thought I'd try again because I still haven't had any luck finding key blanks for the ignition switch. My deluxe pallet kit came with the Prodesign Product Number J0291000 Custom Wiring Harness, but Prodesign has apparently gone out of business, so they're not going to be any help. I've tried several locksmiths here in Arlington, but I can't find one who is able to identify the key blank. BTW, I talked to Unique and I understand that the ignition switch is a Standard Brand part number US-14, but that hasn't seemed to help the locksmiths figure out which blank to use. Any help would be most appreciated.

Ben
Unique 427
SA 427SO w/ Toploader
Guardsman Blue w/ White Stripes

casaleenie
January 15th, 2004, 12:01 AM
I think I responded on this months ago... It was a bugger trying to get an extra set of keys made... I finally found a locksmith that had the blanks... this was after going to five different places...

I'll try to get you a phone # of the locksmith and maybe he can give you some info...

AL

casaleenie
January 15th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Lorain-Triskett Locksmiths
15716 Lorain Ave
Cleveland, Ohio 44114
216-252-3336

It was an unusual key but they had a match for it....

AL

clayfoushee
January 15th, 2004, 01:28 AM
I don't understand. It's amazing to me that a good locksmith can't SIMPLY LOOK at an existing key, and find some sort of blank that a new one could be made....especially a low-tech one like ours. I only have 1 key and would like some duplicates too. Any more insights on why they can't find some sort of blank that works?

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

clayfoushee
January 15th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Had to make one of my regular bi-weekly trips to Home Depot today, so I took my Cobra keys along. Key blank #80 made 2 perfect copies of the ignition key. Now granted, my car was built in 98 and perhaps the ignition switch has been replaced before I owned it and different from yours, but maybe it was just too easy for a real locksmith! In addition, he did not have a blank for the hood latch and trunk key. That key has the numbers "FS 934" and "Made in England" stamped on one side and largers letters "WBH" stamped on the other.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

WBofTN
January 15th, 2004, 04:06 AM
Do any of you guys have a push button starter. I think they are cool.
Like to install one sometime.
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

Copper01
January 15th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Hi Clay,

If you have the same lock system on yours as I have on mine, the key blanks for the hood latch/trunk are either ilco #62FS or Hillman #Y11. I have to admit that I didn't try Home Depot when I was looking for ignition keys, but I'll certainly swing by there and see if their key blank #80 works for me. Thanks for the input.

Ben
Unique 427
SA 427SO w/ Toploader
Guardsman Blue w/ White Stripes

clayfoushee
January 15th, 2004, 06:21 AM
Good luck., and thanks for the numbers on the hood latch/trunk.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

casaleenie
January 15th, 2004, 08:52 AM
WB of TN,

I think this was just discussed on the the Club Cobra forum.
Should still be on the recent threads page...
I'll try to chase it down.. Hell, it might have been on this forum.
I'll check.

I also love that look... OOOOOHH, push buttons... Toggle switches..

AL

clayfoushee
January 15th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Hey Al, just save some time and go to Home Depot!.......LOL.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

casaleenie
January 15th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Whoda thunk you could get them at HOME DEPOT...

Makes you wanna cry............

AL

clayfoushee
January 15th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I know. I was simply STUNNED when the guy said he had it, and then made it. I still didn't believe it until I tried it in my ignition.....damn...it actually worked

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Jim Harding
January 18th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Clay,

Have you looked into the blanks for the hood/trunk key? I just replaced my trunk latch because I lost my one and only key for it. The new key is like yours, but the number is FS935. Got the lock from finish line, and came with one key..... so I'm going to have one or two more cut if I can locate a source for blanks. In the mean time maybe I should put this key in my safe deposit box at the bank so I don't loose this one :-)

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/albums/album26/1aLeftside.thumb.jpg

clayfoushee
January 18th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Jim,

I haven't yet, but in case you didn't see it, "Copper 1" said his hood/trunk keys were these blanks:

"key blanks for the hood latch/trunk are either ilco #62FS or Hillman #Y11."

If you find those and they work, let me know, and I'll do the same if I get there first.

Clay

Annapolis, MD