PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Up Oil on Headers

patrija
January 13th, 2004, 11:29 PM
I had an oil leak from one of my valve covers (overtorqued one side) and burned oil drippings have essentially coated my driver side headers. The headers are ceramic coated. What is the best (and maybe easiest) way to either remove the oil or cover it up? Thanks!

Jason

brfutbrian
January 13th, 2004, 11:37 PM
jason, i use mothers aluminum wheeel polish on my side pipes. the ceramic coat always comes out like new. it should work for oil stains no problem. later,brian

eliminator
January 14th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Most aluminum, chrome polish will work, Alcoa has a liquid out Called PDQ Brightner that works excellent, hard to find, Over the Road Truck Dealerships carry it in Louisville. If you find it, shake it up until you hear the ball inside moving around. The stuff is bad about seperating and some of the material not mixing so every time you use it you have to mix it up real good. I even use a long thin screwdriver to stir it up. Bottom line, best stuff I have used on ceramic coating, to get the oil off, alot of elbow grease!!!

Eliminator

patrija
January 14th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Thanks guys!

GeorgiaSnake
January 14th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Steel Wool ?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

patrija
January 14th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Randy - I was afraid something as abrasive as steel wool might remove the ceramic coating. I'm not sure.

Have you moved forward on your aluminum work yet? I asked at Lowe's tonight and the Nations Rent there told me they do rent metal brakes - something to keep in mind. Since my brother's living with me till he goes the FBI Academy in mid/late Feb, I think this might be a good project for us.

Brent
January 14th, 2004, 08:25 AM
I have used the "white" scotch brite pads and aluminum polish on old coated headers and it is nothing short of amazing. Any good body shop should have the white pads.

Red = Course
Green = Medium
White = Soft

Brent

GeorgiaSnake
January 14th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Jason I might try and finish up this weekend. Drop by if you want to see how NOT to do someting. I have a nice pile of scrap aluminum I'll sell for pennies on the pound. :D

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

eliminator
January 14th, 2004, 09:30 PM
The scoth brite pads are available from NAPA also.

Eliminator

patrija
January 14th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Randy - Unfortunately I'm in a meeting at the Emory Conference Center from Sun-Wed of next week, so I suspect that Wendy will capitalize on my Saturday time. I do want to see how you've progressed and learn the "don't be an idiot like I was" items :D. I'll check schedules and see what might work soon.

By the way, I talked to Bill about his new "Super FE", it just came out of the shop this week and going to the dyno towards the end of the month. I've gotten the wife approval for some Cobra projects, so that might have my name on it ... and all it cost me was a complete master bathroom remodel. 8)

GeorgiaSnake
January 15th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Jason be glad it was the bathroom and not the kitchen ;)

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

juanone
January 16th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Eliminator:

Can I use the PDQ brightener on powder coated intake manifolds to take stains out?

juanone

Juan Lopez-Bonilla
2432 Crittenden Drive
Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40217
502-635-5711
juanlb@lbrllc.net