PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Update

Tony Radford
January 16th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Just an update regarding my new Cobra trailer franchise. The first trailer is 80% complete and almost ready for the paint shop. I plan to take it to the Canopy fabrication company down in Macon a week from Monday. By the end of this month, I should have a completed unit for "proof of performance" testing and marketing photos. The features are as follows:
- 16' length (14' with 2' beavertail for loading of low-profile cars)
- 18" wide, light weight slide out ramps (my car loads with plenty of clearance)
- 5,000 Lbs load capacity
- Tandem 3,500 lbs axles with electric brakes on front axle
- Safety break away brake-lock feature with onboard battery and charger
- Dual 24" diamond tread-plate runners
- Open center with removable deck
- 18 oz. reinforced vinyl canopy (same material used for lumber and gravel trucks, 18 wheeler truck tarps etc.) with zippered access in front, rear and side, dimensions 14'x6'10"x4'6" high.
- 14" wheels with 5 bolt hubs.
- Tandem leaf spring suspension with equalizers
- Pop-off driver's side fender
- Dual front and dual rear, heavy duty tie down anchors
- Total weight should be in the 1,700 lbs range.
- Price will be a little over $4,000.

The product will be marketed under the company name of "Conestoga Concepts, Inc. Everything is being documented for mass production. Even if there is absolutely no demand for this trailer, I'm excited about getting one myself. After having dealt with a rental U-haul the only time I've trailered my car, this puppy is really nice. The beavertail and wide ramps allow me to drive my car onto the trailer with no concern for oil pan, bellhousing or chassis clearance. And my Dodge Dakota will pull it with no problem (not possible with a conventional enclosed trailer).

427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

Okiesnake
January 16th, 2004, 09:12 AM
We want pictures!

creeper
January 17th, 2004, 03:10 PM
The features are as follows:
Mine has this- 16' length (14' with 2' beavertail for loading of low-profile cars)
Mine has this- 18" wide, light weight slide out ramps (my car loads with plenty of clearance)
Mine has 13,000lbs- 5,000 Lbs load capacity
Mine has heavier axels with electric brakes- Tandem 3,500 lbs axles with electric brakes on front axle
Mine has this, but charging through hookup- Safety break away brake-lock feature with onboard battery and charger
Mine has this- Dual 24" diamond tread-plate runners
Mine has this, deck provied by me- Open center with removable deck
This is interesting and would love to see it- 18 oz. reinforced vinyl canopy (same material used for lumber and gravel trucks, 18 wheeler truck tarps etc.) with zippered access in front, rear and side, dimensions 14'x6'10"x4'6" high.
Mine has 15"- 14" wheels with 5 bolt hubs.
Mine has this- Tandem leaf spring suspension with equalizers
Mine has this- Pop-off driver's side fender
Mine has this- Dual front and dual rear, heavy duty tie down anchors
Mine has this- Total weight should be in the 1,700 lbs range.
The price on mine was 1300.00, you might be priced a tad bit high- Price will be a little over $4,000.

Tony Radford
January 17th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Creeper, that's a really cheap trailer. I've never seen one quite that low at the one-off, retail price line. The trick is to make it enclosed, while maintaining road worthyness, not adding much to the weight and be able to mass-produce it. One thing I haven't seen is a compact, enclosed trailer in the under-2,000 Lbs range that prices out near $4K. That has been my mission, not to come up with another low-cost, open trailer.

427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
Delicious example of Beauty + Power.