PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Questions

WBofTN
January 20th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Wheel color questions:
Another slow day here on Uniquecobra, so I thought I would
pose some wheel questions To you guys.
I have Compmotive wheels w/ the black centers.
Most original cobras I‘ve seen (in pictures) tend to have
a gray casting looking Hilldaband(sp)wheels. My Car is
A medium metallic blue w/ white stripes and ceramic coated pipes.
A link to my picture gallery at C.C. (could not post any pics here) is posted below.
1.Would my car look better with different color centers?
2.If so, how hard would it be to paint the centers (take the apart??)?
3.Or, would this just be a waste of time?
Thanks
WB

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=16533

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

clayfoushee
January 20th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Not at all WB. The previous owner painted the Compo centers black. I liked to look OK in the beginning, but everytime I stared at them too hard, heaven forbid took the tires off, the paint chipped off, and was constantly retouching them. As you may recall, I wanted an extra set of Compo 17s with some ultra high performance tires. In discussing this with Alan at Compomotive (800-621-8408), he said he would also refurbish my 15s for $250, which included powdercoating (not paint) the centers, polishing them up again, and re-truing the wheels.

15s are also now anthracite dark grey metallic, aluminum looks like new, and gorgeous. Check out my gallery on clubcobra (clayfoushee)and you can see the same color (in 17s) on my car.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Brent
January 20th, 2004, 05:07 AM
You have a beautiful car. I personally like the more silver look than the grey or charcoal. This is one of the reasons I went with Compomotive ILO Halibrand or Trigo. I know Eliminator painted his Trigos a more silver color. Powdercoat would be the ticket. Tough as nails too.

Brent

clayfoushee
January 20th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Thanks Brent.

WB, I should have mentioned before, that Compomotive can powdercoat them in silver or dark grey, or black for that matter. I just liked the dark grey with my silver car.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

KrAzEcJ
October 21st, 2004, 06:50 AM
Hey guys I know this is a old topic but was just wondering if the centers can be polished out also? Just wondering Clay, I have only seen a picture my wife sent me of your wheels and havent made it home to get a good look yet. I had seen a Black Cobra with the polished centers and liked it alot and was wondering if these 17" Compomotives could be done the same if I decided to go that route.

Unique 4279459

clayfoushee
October 21st, 2004, 02:46 PM
CJ, your wheels centers are powder-coated in a titanium color. You'd have to disassemble the centers, media blast the coating off, and then do a lot of polishing! I would imagine some might have the patience to polish those center sections with all the edges and shapes.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

KrAzEcJ
October 21st, 2004, 05:33 PM
Hummmm, after reading that Clay I bet that powder coat looks perfect! lololol

Unique 4279459

clayfoushee
October 21st, 2004, 05:50 PM
Seriously, you could send them back to Compomotive, and have them powder-coated silver. As you might have read above, my current 15" set was painted black by the previous owner. The paint didn't stick worth a damn, and needed constant re-touching.

Since I was buying another brand-new set (now your set), they refurbished my old ones for $250 with the same titanium powder-coat on your set. Thus, I'm not sure they'd do it for the same price. They do offer powder coating in many different colors.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD