WBofTN
January 26th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Would this be a good item to have for fabricating aluminum panels:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34104

WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

eliminator
January 26th, 2004, 11:08 PM
No, not really. It only does beads and flanges. There are no beads and flanges on the aluminum panels. You would need a tool to make bends like a sheet metal brake.

Eliminator

jhaynie
January 26th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Is a 18" throat depth enough for the aluminum panels?

WBofTN
January 27th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Not sure Jhaynie , I was wondering that myself.
Eliminator: I was under impression
that this thing did it all (forming & bending).
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

Brent
January 27th, 2004, 12:58 AM
WB,
That looks like it is just a bead roller. It is usually used to add rigidity to large flat metal panels. It does make a nice looking finish and one can incorperate a design into their work. They are not easy to use though. You make a pattern in marker on your panel and then follow that pattern with the roller. I have used a power version of this unit when fabricating aluminum interiors for race cars. We had to because the panels were their own strength and were not backed with anything. In the case of our underhood aluminum kits all of the panels are fastened to a fiberglass backer and require no strength to retain their form. I think trying to follow the pattern closely while turning that large handle may become frustrating and institute a large pile of scrap aluminum on the floor.If you wanted to buy a valuable tool look into a metal brake. You will use it all the time for brackets etc.

Brent

WBofTN
January 27th, 2004, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the info Brent
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

jhaynie
January 28th, 2004, 02:45 AM
Since it says it has an 18" throat, I would assume it does some breaking. You wouldn't any throat to run beads down the middle of a flat sheet. It also says it makes flanges, which unless it is rolling flanges (highly unlikely) it must be breaking them.

Brent
January 28th, 2004, 06:09 AM
It will roll a bead in the center of a 36" piece of metal and I think the "flanges" are a step roller.

Brent