PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Newbie and ...

KillerBox
February 11th, 2004, 01:06 AM
I am feeling overwhelmed by this whole kit car thing. I do not know who to trust or where to start to get the car of my dreams.

I would like to purchase (preferbly used and have cash in hand) a Cobra convertible roadster. I have not found a Cobra here locally (Mobile, Alabama) for me to try but, I want to make sure I fit into one before I buy. I am 6'2" and 250 pounds.

I am not interested in superfast or a period correct Cobra. I want a weekend cruiser and I am more interested in creature comforts. I like leather, convertible top, winshield wipers, air shields, carpet, stereo, wooden dash, wooden steering wheel, chrome, nice wide tires, good looking rims, easy starting motor and easy shifting transmission (either auto or 5 speed).

I appreciate any help anyone could give me to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

KillerBox@aol.com

Killerbox@aol.com

WBofTN
February 11th, 2004, 02:33 AM
Start by searching:
http://www.cobracountry.com
and
http://www.clubcobra.com (cobras 4-sale section)
and
ebay motors
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

eliminator
February 11th, 2004, 02:34 AM
First of all how much cash in hand do you want to spend? There is alot of differences in Cobra's and most are defined by money. And you basically get what you pay for. I would start by calling Alan or Maurice at Unique Motor's Company. They are not only manufactures of new car's but they know of used Unique's that might be for sale. Plus you can trust them. One thing you mentioned "Stero", this is not a Cobra thing, the Stero is the R and L Side Pipes that are already balanced.

Eliminator

dmiller
February 11th, 2004, 03:45 AM
are you sure you want a cobra? sounds like a late model corvette convertible is what you are looking for.

i'm not trying to burst your bubble, just that i don't think the cobra will meet the criteria you specified.

doug

sill building, almost done.

bittentoo
February 11th, 2004, 03:56 AM
Killerbox,

Elininator gave some excellent advice and the Weavers are good people and won't steer you wrong!

Having gone thru the same beginnrs process, you are on the right track. Go to your local cobra meets and look at the cars, talk to the owners, sit in them and ask for rides. Before you know it, you will be able to identify the various makes and narrow down your search of what you want depending on cost, looks and options.

For me, the important factors were:
1. Finished cost of the car, This is probably one of the hardest items to nail down. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors in the advertisment of these cars and one that looks cheep to build initially can wind up being quite expensive when you add upall of the items needed to finish the car.

2. A droopybutt.As I said earlier, all of the cars are different. And one of the biggest differences is the back of the car. Some cars (FFR for example) have a "Perky butt" ie the rear fenders and trunk area sweep up in a bumble bee kind of way. I like the low and wide "Droopy butt" look.

3. Wide rear tires and tucked inside the fender well. A lot of the cars have wide rear tires but they stick out past the fenders. So then the rear of the car has to be "jacked up" to clear the tires. Hate that look!

4. And the most important thing is the people that support the product. The Weavers are great people to work with (they put up with me:D) and build one of the finest cobras out there! Let me give you an example that happened just this morning.
Had a problem getting the rims for my car. This was a vender problem not a Weaver problem. After repeated calls to the vender from the Weavers and myself the rims finally shipped and I received them last night. Well, when I opened them up, the center spinner caps weren't there:( Well needless to say, I went balistic! Called first thing this morning and talked to Marice Weaver, said no problem, he will just take the ones off of his car and over night them to me! I told that he didn't have to do that, but he insisted. Class act[^]

One satisfied customer:D

Silk
February 11th, 2004, 04:26 AM
KillerBox,

There are two manufacturers you might want to consider: West Coast/Stallion and Classic Roadster. Both are high on creature comforts and, while unmistakably Cobra replicas, somewhat less faithful to period correctness than others (e.g., Unique). I've seen some of these cars offered in the low to mid 30s, and they might be a good choice for you.

Gary
Unique FIA 351W

Brent
February 11th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Sounds like a Mustang GT to me.

Brent

Jim Harding
February 11th, 2004, 10:11 PM
KillerBox,

I too was taken by your list of creature comforts. Unless you go for one of the 'stretched' versions, overall (dis)comfort is something most of us put up with.... these cars are no comparison to your 'normal' driver. After a couple hours of driving one of these cars, you'll need (appreciate) a break to stretch your legs.

That being said, nothing else compares to one of these cars when you weight the "fun" factor.

Someone wrote a perfect description of what a Cobra is:

Quote –

To me, a Cobra is the pure essence of what a true sports car is supposed to be. An engine that’s too big, a body that’s too small, tires that are too wide, pipes that are too loud, seats that are too low, no A/C, no heater, no windows, no roof, no outside door handles, no foot room, no radio, and absolutely, positively no excuses for one damned thing!

As mentioned above, look over the different makes of Cobras and catch a ride if you can. You’ll find one that will come close to meeting your criteria.

Good Luck

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/albums/album26/1aLeftside.thumb.jpg

JerryBP
February 11th, 2004, 10:42 PM
I have a 72 Pantera that has all the comforts but even it is more like a suped-up motorcycle with 4 wheels a top rather than a cruiser.

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black
by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio

clayfoushee
February 11th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Killer,

You're getting good advice here. I'm also 6'2", but thinner, so your height is not the deciding issue. You should visit a cruise in somewhere and sit in a couple of cars. The original, with the 90" wheelbase is cramped for most, but as Jim Harding said above, that's just part of the Cobra experience. These cars were never about comfort.

Not sure why you posted the question on the Unique site, but like others, I think Uniques are excellent cars and good values. However, they are neither the least expensive Cobra replica, nor are they the most expensive. It really boils down to what you have to spend.

Factory Five cars are based upon Mustang donors and can be built for much less if cost is a major deciding factor. There are also used ones available, check ClubCobra and the Factory Five owners site.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

K.Wilson
February 13th, 2004, 12:21 AM
You need to start by looking at some completed cars, lots of them. I believe you will learn more about Cobras and what your specific likes and dislikes are in hour of looking at, and sitting, in Cobras than in a month of posting on Forums. Once you figure out what your likes and dislikes are you need to visit manufactures. Only then can you start to calculate the cost of what the "best value for your needs" will be.
Keith