PDA

View Full Version : 428CJ alum. heads or stock

Master
February 11th, 2004, 04:32 AM
I will be talking to bill at southern automotive next week and would like some input from everyone on engine and Car options worth the money. My cobra will be used primarily on the street, but I would also like to do well at the run and gun event etc. I do understand that driver skill plays a big part on road courses. If you had your wish list how would you equip a 428 in a Unique car[?]

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

eliminator
February 11th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Is Bill going to go through your engine and rebuild it? I though you had the engine ready to go. Please explain what you have in mind.

Eliminator

Brent
February 11th, 2004, 08:35 PM
With regards to the cyl. heads.

A factory steel head will need machine work,valves,seals,springs, and hardened seats to deal with todays unleaded fuels. The Edelbrock aluminum heads are so inexpensive,have hardened seats,will run cooler,and weigh less (good thing in a cobra)

Brent

Master
February 11th, 2004, 09:43 PM
The long block is complete with the intake on but I wanted to be sure about the integrity after sitting 10 years. Bill will tear it down and double check clearances etc.

JerryBP
February 11th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Master, I agree with Brent, my son Greg put the Edelbrock aluminum heads on his 68 428 Mustang GT and for the money they do a great job.

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black
by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio

eliminator
February 11th, 2004, 11:21 PM
OK, if you are going that route there are a few things I would recommend. Like everyone else get rid of the steel heads and go with the aluminum heads. Go with the Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum intake, (if your going with a single Carburetor and the aluminum water pump.. I would strongly suggest Roller Rockers, Billet Shafts, Billet stands with end stands. Bill can get and has used Precision Oil Pumps stuff out of California. I used it and I know of several other engines with Precisions stuff, very good parts for the money. I would tell him that's what I wanted. One problem with Bill is he is set in his ways, and he is not necessarily right when giving advise. Some of this advise he gives is determine by dollars and profit and not necessarily in your best intrest. Don't get me wrong they do a good job building engines and you get your money's worth and I like Bill. Also if you don't already have one I would get the Canton Road Race Pan and the Canton Windage Tray, don't settle for the Ford Motorsports Windage tray, it's a 10.00 piece of tin. It's 1960's technology vs 2000 technology, spring for the higher price Canton Windage Tray and it's functionality. Go with a mini-high torque starter which you can do yourself, Tilton, PowerMaster and others make good one's. The only other thing is a good flywheel, Billet Steel or Aluminum, your choice. Then use a good clutch, McLeod, CenterForce, ect. Make sure you and Bill have a good discussion about all aspects of the build so you both singing out of the same book. Bill once told me I was "the pickiest person he had ever dealt with", I took that as a compliment.

Eliminator

Master
February 12th, 2004, 03:16 AM
eliminator, What's your opinon on hydraulic throw out bearing

Brent
February 12th, 2004, 03:38 AM
The hydraulic throwout bearing works great and it easy to install. The trick to the throwout bearing is getting the right one for your application. Mcleod custom makes each one as ordered. The measurement from the trans mounting surface on the bellhousing to the fingers on the pressure plate is SUPER CRITICAL and Mcleod wants this measurement to the .001.
You will hear horror stories about the throwout bearing on certain other forums but when you ask specific installation questions they quit posting for some reason.

I have one and I am very happy with it. Easy to bleed,short pedal stroke, and and good feel at the pedal.

Brent

eliminator
February 12th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Master,

Here is one area that you will get alot of opinions on. Bill and I had a very "lively" discussion on the issue, he is against them. I love mine and as Brent stated the measurement is key to having it work fine. The Hyd. Throw-Out Bearing seems to excel with the BB FE engines more than the Mid and Small Block Fords. If you decide to go that route I would be glad to explain the measurement procedure, you need a 6" carpenter's square and a dial calipher, thats it. I know of more horror stories with the slave cylinder than the HTOB.

Eliminator

eliminator
February 12th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Master,

You have e-mail.

Eliminator