PDA

View Full Version : Cracking Sun visors

Copper01
February 17th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Has anyone had a problem with their sun visors cracking? I had one break and decided that I had overtightened it, so I replaced it, barely tightened it and then used Loctite to keep it from backing off. Sadly, when I went out this evening to look at it, I've already got a runner in the new one. :( Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Ben
Unique 427
SA 427SO w/ Toploader
Guardsman Blue w/ White Stripes

clayfoushee
February 17th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Wow Ben...never seen that. Do you have flat washers on both sides along with one lock washer on the nut? With 4 fasteners holding that lightweight piece of plastic, I've never bothered to tighten them very much, and I take them off to do a thorough cleaning. I just barely snug them up.

Now I did have a rear-view mirror crack because I overtightened it, when it was loose.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

eliminator
February 17th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Ben,

Probably the second failure was caused by Locktite. The first by being too tight. My windwings cracked around the screw holes, replaced them and just snugged the screws down and no problem. Locktite has a chemical reaction to plastics, and plexiglass and will cause it to crack, been down that road before.

Eliminator

JerryBP
February 17th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Something I learned from Bikes & Boats about mounting Plastic (to things that vibrate) is to use a piece of tubing over the bolt just longer than the plastic is thick and to ream the hole so the tubing is a sung fit then use thin rubber washers against the item under the metal washers.

Now they make 2 piece soft plastic gromets that do both jobs.

ps Eliminator is correct, Keep Locktite away from plastics, and plexiglass
Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black
by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio

Unique452hp
February 18th, 2004, 05:20 AM
My visors haven't cracked. But I did have a windshield that came loose from the bottom frame at the center and cracked. Ouch![B)]

Has anyone else had that problem? Has anyone used the tension rod from Finishline?

Scott

1st car was a Cobra hopefully last will be also