PDA

View Full Version : Emergency brake

Unique 289_FIA
February 19th, 2004, 01:36 PM
How do you guys with Jag IRS with inboard brakes set up your emergency brake? The previous owner of my car set up a hydraulic plunger type line lock, but it doesn't work (the plunger has no room to plunge, it hits the bottom just from tightening the fitting). Ideas, pics?

Thanks!
Robert

Unique Motorcars 289 F.I.A. # 9142
Southern Automotive 354 stroker

pgermond
February 19th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Robert,

This has been asked and answered a few times. Seems some of the line locks work, and some don't. Initially mine would lock and wouldn't release. I used spacers to move the line lock device away from the tunnel, but ultimately my problem/solution was having the break bias rod on the pedal adjusted correctly. I believe Brent has a manual e-brake solution for the Jag rear if you are willing to put some work into it. If he doesn't weigh in on this you might do a search.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Unique 289_FIA
February 19th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the reply, Phil. The setup on mine also uses the washers (what a pain to get back on!). This is the line lock used on my car (saw it on Ebay). Any better ones out there?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33568&item=2460400604

Unique Motorcars 289 F.I.A. # 9142
Southern Automotive 354 stroker

Brent
February 19th, 2004, 08:45 PM
The hydraulic line lock seems to work well for some but I never felt very comfortable setting it and walking away. Putting the car in gear is OK, but you can never let your car run for tuning,timing,etc.[xx(] If you search "recent topics" and go back a few posts you will see what I installed. I bought a set of calipers from a junk yard and a cable and handle from Jegs. It is not like the original that mounted on the side of the tunnel.

Eliminator has reworked the original style side mounted parking brake that is offered by Unique and it worked so well they are changing it.

The trick to any cable system you use is the mounting of the cable. Alot of people have the cable emergency brake and say it does not work.[?] When the lever is pulled and the cable is pulled it will want to deflect and move rather than pull the two calipers together. The cable must be mounted so it can not move at all. My cable has about 8 mounting points between the handle and the caliper.

Good luck

Brent

clayfoushee
February 19th, 2004, 09:10 PM
289 FIA,

After considerable fiddling, my line lock does not work either. It's also not easy to retrofit the cable system with taking the car apart. I carry a set of portable wheel chocks in the trunk. They work just fine.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

K.Wilson
February 20th, 2004, 01:55 AM
289 FIA
I went through this when I built my car. I also did not want the line lock.
Found a set of Jag parking brake calipers at a wrecking yard and installed them with a set of new pads. I used an MGB parking brake lever from another wrecking yard. It is a side mount like the original but it has to be modified as the cable pull arm is too short on the MGB lever to make the brakes work. I believe I cut the arm and welded in an additional 2.5 inch piece.
The fiberglass tunnel is not strong enough to mount the brake lever on so I bolted and glassed in an 3/16 thick aluminum "L" shaped reinforcement to the inside of the tunnel.
I had the lever chrome plated then had the tunnel carpet cut and the edges bound at the upholstery shop. Looks great wnd works great.
Keith