PDA

View Full Version : car cover

dmiller
February 23rd, 2004, 11:18 PM
is it safe to trailer a car with a cover on it? i read the discussion about covers in an earlier post, but am concerned that the cover will "flap" when at highway speeds, and cause damage to paint.

i have the tonueau cover, but wouldn't want to trust it to keep rain and dust out of cabin for long.

thanks

doug

eliminator
February 23rd, 2004, 11:23 PM
Doug,

Do not trailer a car with a cover on it. The cover will flap in the wind as you described and ruin your paint job. I know of a few motorcycle people who have screwed up the paint jobs on Harley's by puting soft covers on them and trailering to Bike Week in Daytona. Expensive as they are the enclosed trailer is the ticket.

Eliminator

clayfoushee
February 23rd, 2004, 11:30 PM
Doug.....an absolute NO NO!!!! Even a flannel car cover will work like fine grit sandpaper after extended exposure to 60+mph winds! With a waterproof cover, you'd just be going with a higher grit sandpaper.

In addition, the tonneau lifts around the fasteners in the wind, so it won't keep water out either. You should look at one of Tony's low-cost covered trailers.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Brent
February 24th, 2004, 12:10 AM
I know some people do not have enough tow vehicle to pull an enclosed trailer but they sure solve alot of problems. I don't think I could leave my car in a hotel parking lot and go to sleep without one. The canvas trailer is nice and light weight but I want more than a zipper between a vandal and my investment.
I just bought a used(one time) 2003 24' Haulmark, 3/4" floor, 3/8" walls, roof vent,8 lights,ramp door with flap,diamond plate rock guard,bright aluminum corners,4 D-rings,5200lb axles,torflex suspension,and a spare tire for 3,500.00
They are out there you just have to look for them. I watched e-bay and racingjunk.com for a month and found one 5 hours from my home.

Brent

Jim Harding
February 24th, 2004, 03:56 AM
Like everyone else said, you never want to tow on an open trailer with a car cover.... or a tonneau either for that matter. Both will flap in the wind and do some damage to the paint.
Except for the spring fling last year, when I borrowed an enclosed trailer, I've always towed the car with an open trailer. Got rained on a few times, but what the heck.... it's a car, a driver, not a waxer or a show car, and it'll dry out... eventually:D. I guess after you get over the trauma of the first ding or paint chip,:( it's easier to cope with.:D:D
Also, never had a problem with parking over night at a motel. I do cover it, and I guess it becomes less visable that way.... don't know, maybe I've just been lucky;)

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/albums/album26/1aLeftside.thumb.jpg

dmiller
February 24th, 2004, 04:46 AM
thank you for advise.

doug

Mike Geddes
February 25th, 2004, 01:14 AM
I'll go along with Jim on this one....it's a car...a driver....yeh and after 12 years I've got a few dings and scratches...but , I've never run my car on a trailer.....If it's going somewhere ..it will be driven....thats what good about cars.
PS...you can carry a lot of 2 X 4's in the passeger compartment...
They hang out of the cockpit a little...but it works.
Anyone got a Cobra that will carry a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood.
Mike

Mike Geddes

clayfoushee
February 25th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Mike,

I agree they're meant to be driven, but it's also nice to attend far away events like Unique's Homecoming. If I drove from Maryland to Alabama, I'd be in traction for a couple of weeks afterward.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

eliminator
February 25th, 2004, 02:47 AM
Mike,

Get a pick-up truck, preferable a 4X4:D.

Rick

Mike Geddes
February 25th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Hi Clay....
I've driven my Cobra from Canada to the Weavers....when they used to call the 'get together'...The CobraFest.
Yeh..it wasa bit hard on the rear end....more so for my wife than myself.....but it was a great drive....futher south we got..the warmer it got.
My only concern with driving everywhere is getting stuck in major traffic jams and suffering from overheating.
For me, a major obstacle has always been I-75 between Detroit and Toledo.... it's the only logical way south....but it seems that to have been under some form of major construction for the last 10 years.
Oh....and yes, I do have a 4 x 4 SUV....but thats for snow days...not towing.
Mike

Mike Geddes

Jim Harding
February 25th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Hey, Mike's my hero!!! What's the old saying??..... Real men drive their cars everywhere!!

Actually, I'd drive anywhere/anytime too, but my better half is the one who sets the rules lately.... bad back and a knee problem make for short trips only.

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/albums/album26/1aLeftside.thumb.jpg

clayfoushee
February 25th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Mike....that's amazing. I wish my back was healthy enough to endure that.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Poorboy
February 25th, 2004, 10:10 PM
There are a couple of guys from Connecticut that have driven their cobras to Cobrafest 8 years in a row.
Rick,
I have towed all over with a 4 cylinder Mazda,Toyota, & V6 Ford Ranger all 2 wheel drive with no trouble.

eliminator
February 25th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Poorboy,

Yea, but what are ya towin, a lawnmower trailer:). No, Mike needs a truck to haul his lumber and where he lives it should be a 4X4. I didn't say a 2 wheel drive can't pull a trailer.
Now the 4 cylinder is subject as well as the V6[?], but hey you ride a Honda[:O], so we will forgive you for not knowing about horespower and torque:(.

Poorboy,
Buy a Harley;).

Rick

JerryBP
February 25th, 2004, 11:34 PM
We have a 40ft closed trailer but the only thing that gets hauled is the Rail Dragster, if it is highway legal DRIVE IT. My 2c.

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black
by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio

Poorboy
February 26th, 2004, 02:06 AM
Rick,
I ride a Honda because I would rather ride it to were I,m going instead of trailering it.;)
I have delivered a number of Cobras for Unique on an open trailer with 4 cylinder powered p/u's and 1 GT40 in a 16' enclosed trailer to Wisconsin with a V6 Ranger.:D
Here's a pic of the one on the way. The wrecker is also a 4 cyl.[8D]

Poorboy

Poorboy
February 26th, 2004, 02:09 AM
Try it again.:)http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/poorboy/MVC-014S.JPG

WBofTN
February 26th, 2004, 02:35 AM
PoorBoy: YOU-DA-MAN you show those F-350 guys.
Oh by the way whats your average highway speed??? :)
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

clayfoushee
February 26th, 2004, 03:21 AM
.....and how many trannies have you dropped in that thing in it's lifetime?

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Poorboy
February 26th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Empty she'll do 92, towing a car 75. Built it 17 years ago have only put in one clutch.:D
Heres what I pull with my bike.[8D]

Poorboyhttp://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/poorboy/MVC-017S.JPG

eliminator
February 26th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Poorboy,

I understand your Bike's down with tranny problems, any truth to that.

Rick

Poorboy
February 26th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Rick,
No, it just needs a new set of shoes and it will be ready for my annual Rt.66 ride to the west coast.:D:D You gotta remember it's a Honda with only 125,000 miles on it.:D

Poorboy

JerryBP
February 26th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Nice setup, Poorboy, uesd to ride a BMW a lot, carried a tent, never got into the trailes thow.

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black
by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio