PDA

View Full Version : Parts needed?

LwCw
February 24th, 2004, 04:24 AM
What parts do I need to complete a Deluxe Pallet Kit?

TurnpikeBoy
February 24th, 2004, 04:32 AM
1. Paint
2. Engine, complete
3. Trans
4. Wheels and tires
5. Hoses, clamps, overflow tank
6. Electric fuel pump (maybe...)
7. Oil filter relocate setup
8. Cans of spray glue for upholstry
9. Misc. electrical connectors, nuts, bolts, ephemera
10. Beer - plenty of it, STRICTLY for joy
11. Big chisel - to get the grin offa your face.

Not necessarily in order here.....[:P]

Yeehah

dmiller
February 24th, 2004, 04:47 AM
money

jhaynie
February 24th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Oh, and don't forget more money Dmiller.

LwCw
February 24th, 2004, 05:05 AM
Where did you guys get your wheels from? I am looking to buy knockoffs for my unique, in about a year or so. Also, how much did you pay for your paint jobs?

gasman
February 24th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Don't forget the GAS, man.

Steve Foushee

eliminator
February 24th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Who knows what Trigo's will be selling for in a year or so. If you buy a car now you can't go from bolt on wheels now to pin drives in a few years without some major changes and money. The suspension is different. You may want to consider a turnkey car.

Eliminator

Copper01
February 24th, 2004, 11:06 AM
There are a number of options that you may want to consider in addition to all the things you'll need to actually finish the car.

From Unique, in addition to the Deluxe Pallet Kit I got the following options:

3:54 rear end
Posi track upgrade
Heater/defroster
Windwings and sunvisors
Oil cooler
Oil cooler adapter kit
Stainless oil cooler lines
Oil cooler aluminum
(2) Crowe 5 point harnesses
Rear sway bar
Soft top complete
Tonneau cover
Aveo wiper blades and arms
Battery disconnect switch
Drive shaft safety loop
Front and rear bumper uprights
Front and rear bumbers
Engine and transmission mounts
Exhaust ceramic coat
Foot box heat shields
Thermotec insulation
Jaguar emergency brake calipers
Emergency brake handle
Emergency brake cable
Canton expansion tank
Clutch slave cylinder kit (installed)
Compomotive wheels
BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires
Fire extinguisher
(2) Seat tracks

If I had it to do over again, I would have also gotten the optional coil over shocks on the rear. That way you can adjust the rear shocks without shimming them.

From Southern Automotive, I got a Ford 427 Side Oiler with a fair number of the high performance options that they offer. In addition, I ordered:

Turkey pan
Aluminum remote oil filter adapter
Steel bracket for oil filter adapter
M.S.D. 6AL ignition kit
Ford 4 speed toploader transmission
Cobra shifter kit
Fuel line kit

I also had it painted by Bruce at Jodeco. With this combination, I had the engine and transmission delivered to Unique, where they installed them. For a nominal fee, they also took care of taking off the body, shipping it to Jodeco, shipping it back and then installing it back on the frame prior to my picking it up.

After all this, you're going to need radiator hoses and clamps, overflow lines and clamps, fuel lines, filter, connectors, and clamps, hydraulic lines and connections, various sized wire and cable clamps, electrical connections, various nuts, bolts, screws and other hardware, voltage regulator, speedometer cable (match your rear end ratio), battery, spray adhesive for the interior, tie wraps, other miscellaneous hardware and (I'm sure) a bunch of other stuff I've overlooked.

And I'm hoping that you already have a reasonably complete set of hand tools including drills, hole saws, pop rivits, etc.

But when you get done, you will have one of the most exhilarating and eye catching vehicles on the face of the earth. It sounds like a beast and accelerates like a rocket. Suffice it to say that it's more than worth the effort!!!
:D

Ben
Unique 427
SA 427SO w/ Toploader
Guardsman Blue w/ White Stripes

clayfoushee
February 24th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Great answer Ben...thanks for taking the time to do it so comprehensively.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

eliminator
February 24th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Ben,

You just scared him off for sure[^]. I thinks you be a good typist:).

Eliminator

clayfoushee
February 25th, 2004, 12:08 AM
LW,

Ben's answer is for a car built to be historically correct and near perfection (which his car is). However, you should also consider that those costs and many of the parts would be identical to any kit taken to the same level. You also don't need to take it to that high level of historical accuracy right away if you're on a budget.

Be careful not to compare apples to oranges when you ask that question.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

LwCw
February 25th, 2004, 04:04 AM
No, Im still here. I was planning on blowing about $57,000-$59,000 anyway. Can Unique supply all of those parts, except the engine and transmission? What type of fan should I use for a 427 big block? I would rather do the build myself, I want it to be a father-son project. I have to get a house with a garage first. Theres a lot of ricers around here that need to be taught the meaning of "Old School."
On the track, of course. How much do you have in your Cobras so far? And Ben really is a good typist. I couldn't write that much, thats for sure. But thats a good thing.

weaver
February 25th, 2004, 04:54 AM
I hope everyone knows that wives view this site from time to time so you better think twice about telling how much money you have in your car, you could be buying jewelry or furniture this time next week.

Alan

dmiller
February 25th, 2004, 05:29 AM
if my wife saw this costs, it would be bloody.

but still cheaper than a trophy wife, and at my age, i will get to use the cobra more often too.

doug

Master
February 25th, 2004, 08:00 AM
TO LATE ALAN, MY WIFE KNOWS. I JUST BOUGHT $5,000 OF CARPET. THAT COULD BE TAKEN THE WRONG WAY COULDN'T IT?

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

Copper01
February 25th, 2004, 08:03 AM
I've wanted a Cobra since I was in high school (graduated in '66 as the last originals were being built) and I've been talking about them to my wife since we got married in November '69. So, after hearing me talk about them for ~33 years, she finally told me to either buy one or quit talking about it. What else could I do...?

LW, yes, Unique can and will provide any or all of those parts that I listed under Unique on the previous posting. And Clay is right, I wanted to have one that was as historically correct and near perfection as possible. Consequently, I spent a little more money than was probably necessary.

For example, a 427 Side Oiler is the engine that most people associate with a 427 SC, notwithstanding the fact that a large percentage of the original Shelby 427 SC's were actually delivered with 428 Police Interceptor engines. And the fact is that a 427 Side Oiler, rebuilt and complete with worked aluminum heads, competition cam, roller rockers, MSD ignition, high performance distributor, scattershield, aluminum flywheel, Aviaid oil pan, etc, etc, will cost you approximately one cubic buttload of money... Trust me when I tell you that a well prepared 351 or 428 costs a lot less money, will produce more than 450 horsepower and in a car that weighs less than 2450 pounds, you'll have a horsepower-to-weight ratio approaching 1:5, which will run the wheels right off of most "ricers" you find on the street. :D

With respect to the fans on the big block, I notice that you live in Pennsylvania, so I'd guess that the dual pushers that come with the Deluxe Pallet Kit should be more than sufficient. The only reason that I mounted a auxillary SPAL puller fan on the back of my radiator is that I'm in north central Texas and the summers tend to get a little hotter down here...

Anyway, I hope all this helps. As Clay said, each of these is an individual effort and should reflect what the owner wants it to be. Mine was also a father-son project and when it's all said and done, he's as proud of this thing as I am. If we can answer any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck.

Ben
Unique 427
SA 427SO w/ Toploader
Guardsman Blue w/ White Stripes

spd4me
February 26th, 2004, 03:04 AM
One thing you forgot in the listing. A sunroom for your wife!