PDA

View Full Version : jack up and tow points

dmiller
February 25th, 2004, 05:35 AM
for the FIA car, there are "things" at the front and rear of the car which were used to jack the car up in the race pits, using a device like an over center lever.

i'm not inclined to think that these are stout enough to jack my car, but would be interested in anyones experience.

additionally, would they be stout enough to tow the car up and onto a trailer?

if these "things" aren't stout enough, what does one attach to tow the car?

so near complete i can almost see it, just awaiting on DMV to finish their celebrations.

thanks.

doug

pgermond
February 25th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Are you referring to the quick jack pads? If so, I have never used them to lift the car, but rather the x-members on the frame (front & rear) with a low-profile floor jack. Towing? No, why would you want to? Used for wenching a car on to a trailer? Probably could do that.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

jhaynie
February 25th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Allen gave me some advice once when I had to get my car onto a rolloff. Call him and he'll tell you what points are safe.

John

brfutbrian
February 25th, 2004, 07:45 AM
doug, i tie down to the front side of the lower control arms in front, and to the back of the control arms right next to the differential in the rear. thats where maurice tied my car down when i picked it up. you can pull it from the same points. later, brian.

clayfoushee
February 25th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Doug,

The quick-jacks you refer to are primarily for looks and an accurate look for the racing Cobras. I certainly wouldn't recommend lifting the car with them. It's just 1 bolt in the front and 1 in the back for each tube holding them to the frame. Use the chassis for all lifting, the bigger the bar, the better.....LOL.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Jim Harding
February 25th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Doug,

All good info above..... and for getting it on a trailer, two or three man can usually push it up the ramps on onto the trailer, and without an engine/tranny, you could probably do it alone!

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/albums/album26/1aLeftside.thumb.jpg