PDA

View Full Version : Jag/MGB suspension upgrades??

Unique 289_FIA
February 27th, 2004, 11:21 AM
My 289 has MGB front, Jag IRS rear (#9142). Does anyone offer any shock/spring/swaybar upgrades for these setups? Maybe I'm just used to the tight suspension of my MR2 (KYB's, Eibachs and S.T. swaybars), but the Cobra feels a bit loose, particulary up front, where it's fairly noisy (clunks). Any way to cost effectively tighten these up?

Thanks guys!
R.

BTW, can anyone tell me what these are? They came with the car and the previous owner couldn't tell me what they were. Something for the suspension, I'm sure, but what?
http://www.uniquecobra.comhttp://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/unique%20289_FIA/susp.JPG

Unique Motorcars 289 F.I.A. # 9142
Southern Automotive 354 stroker

eliminator
February 29th, 2004, 09:38 PM
I think the right place for you to get that answer is at Unique. I am sure Alan can tell you what those parts are for. The new front ends are very nice and if the car is aligned properly and the sway bars adjusted correctly they ride very good and respond excellent. Even with heavier spring rates than Unique uses on the "stock" Deluxe Pallet Kit.

Rick

nolastyankee
March 7th, 2004, 05:38 AM
289 FIA,
Stay tuned to my page, my dad and I just finished (like hours ago) installing a Hawk front suspension on our Unique FIA car. Even though it hasn't been titled, our car was 1991 manufacture and had the old front end. I am extremely pleased with the setup. I have tons of pictures, etc. Should have the thread up today or tomorrow.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Unique 289_FIA
March 7th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Woohoo! Can't wait to see it! I've corresponded a bit with your dad; the setup you've chosen is exactly what I want to do. In particular, I'd like the contact information you used to order the Hawk parts. I've emailed them, but gotten no response. Who'd you go through?

Anxiously awaiting! :)

Robert

eliminator
March 7th, 2004, 09:30 PM
nolastyankee,

Why did you choose the Hawk front-end over the newer Unique front end, just curious?
Cost or functionality?

Rick

nolastyankee
March 7th, 2004, 10:05 PM
289 FIA,
I'll have the pictures, the story, and the links up tonight. In short, Gerry Hawkridge (Hawk cars) will answer all of your questions and was very prompt with me. I ended up ordering through British Automotive in Novato, California. Doug Jackson at BA uses the base Hawk kit then upgrades it significantly. He will also help you walk through the ordering process.

Eliminator,
We went with the Hawk kit for a couple reasons, one of which was cost. Their setup is $1500. Our car essentially had a brand new rack and pinion and unused brakes and rotors, both of which are swapped out on the Unique front end. The Hawk kit has awesome GAZ coilovers and the entire unit mounts outboard of the frame rails. This will allow the engine compartment aluminum to better separate the suspension from the wheel wells.

Watch for the full story tonight!

Unique 289_FIA
March 8th, 2004, 04:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by nolastyankee

289 FIA,
I'll have the pictures, the story, and the links up tonight. In short, Gerry Hawkridge (Hawk cars) will answer all of your questions and was very prompt with me. I ended up ordering through British Automotive in Novato, California. Doug Jackson at BA uses the base Hawk kit then upgrades it significantly. He will also help you walk through the ordering process.

Eliminator,
We went with the Hawk kit for a couple reasons, one of which was cost. Their setup is $1500. Our car essentially had a brand new rack and pinion and unused brakes and rotors, both of which are swapped out on the Unique front end. The Hawk kit has awesome GAZ coilovers and the entire unit mounts outboard of the frame rails. This will allow the engine compartment aluminum to better separate the suspension from the wheel wells.

Watch for the full story tonight!

Looking forward to it! :D

Robert