PDA

View Full Version : Needs a little make up

pgermond
March 7th, 2004, 11:21 AM
I know it doesn't show in the pics, but there were a couple of mishaps in the build process [B)], so she is off to the beauty parlor (painter) tomorrow for three days. The garage looks sooooooooooo empty :(:(:( Please excuse the Chevy, it's my bride's......

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pgermond/19 Trailer a.JPG

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pgermond/19 Trailer b.JPG

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

clayfoushee
March 7th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Phil,

What are we going to do with you and Brent:D? I hope it's not off to the beauty parlor everytime you drive that beautiful car. Unfortunately, in order to enjoy it, it's all downhill from here, at least until you rebuild it the next time!

P.S. I personally don't have any issues with Chevys, But, I'm wondering if the sort-out issues my poor brother Steve (Gasman) is having with the gorgeous car he took delivery of last week may have something to do with his new Chevy pickup....an FE allergy to bowties?.....just a thought.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

pgermond
March 7th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Clay,

No, nothing as manly as catching rocks on the road or sliding off the track in a high-speed turn. Just flat screwed up with improper door adjustment, and one mishap that almost made me throw up. In late December, when I was working on the car hot-n-heavy, I forgot to block the tire on night. I got up the next morning, made coffee, got dressed, went out in the garage and hit the door opener - didn't even notice the car had rolled up against the garage door until it went "ka-chunk" and the door started back down. I didn't eat for days [xx(]

Rocks and such I can handle, but when someone asks, "What happened there?" I want to hide (stupid, stupid, stupid)!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

eliminator
March 7th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Phil,

If the truth would come out, we all have that scratch or ding that was caused by a "brain dead" lapse. Like my motorcycle jack running into my side pipe, no dents just scratched the ceramic coating. The side pipe was removed and re-coated, $125.00. I have heard of other stories from experienced builders as well.

Rick

nolastyankee
March 7th, 2004, 10:11 PM
pgermond,
We all have brain dead moments. Last year I was topping off the oil in my '66 Mustang GT when I was distracted and went off to do something else. The weather turned nice and the wife suggested a cruise. In my haste to leave, I gave the engine bay a once over check, but did not notice the oil filler cap sitting on the air cleaner...I couldn't figure out why the hood closed tighter than usual that day. I worked out the two tiny dimples left by the spring clips, but I can see them on that long hood every time I drive it. Nothing like a constant visual reminder of your faux pas...

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

WBofTN
March 7th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Phil:
With me, the dings and scratch always ocur right after you get the car back from being painted or just after you get a new car. I think they
are ment to humble you.
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

clayfoushee
March 7th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Phil,

Ouch, we've all done it, and I admire your honesty. In our Capital Area Cobra Club, a rather large and boisterous group of renegade die-hards, the tradition is to bestow a nickname as an enduring tribute to a particularly noteworthy brain-lapse. The last member to receive such a name was a new builder who installed his remote oil fittings backwards, and was particularly baffled as to why he had no oil pressure on first engine start. He's now known as NOP.

I came close to dumping mine from about 3 feet because of a rigging problem on my lift during the installation process. Took about 3 years out of my life-expectancy.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Brent
March 7th, 2004, 11:33 PM
:D "What are we going to do with you and Brent" :D

Phil,Phil,Phil, kiss my ars!!

:D:D:D:D:D

Brent

eliminator
March 8th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Brent,

It's suppose to be, Clay,Clay,Clay not Phil. Sorry Clay couldn't help it!!

Rick

clayfoushee
March 8th, 2004, 12:39 AM
It's OK Rick, I deserved it. Still running my sense of humor check on this site.

BTW thanks for helping my brother, Gasman. Guess you heard he got the carb sorted out, thanks to you, but on the way home, his clutch went out, so back to the flatbed. We're guessing a throw-out bearing issue.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Brent
March 8th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Sorry Phil.

Fingers are faster than the brain...And I type very slow.

Brent

eliminator
March 8th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Clay,

Heard about the clutch problem, has the car got a HTOB or Slave Cylinder clutch??
The way he explained the problem to me was that he could push the car in gear and it appeared the clutch was depressed but would not release. Is this the case?

Rick

Brent
March 8th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Clay,
I was in a show this past weekend at the Mall and the standing bet was if I would trailer it or drive it home. When they announced we could push the cars out a crowd gathered. One comment was "that motor is just for show, I bet he has never started it" At first it pi$$ed me off, but then I realized it was the best compliment I had recieved all weekend.
I then fired her up, smiled real BIG, and drove to dinner.

Brent

eliminator
March 8th, 2004, 03:58 AM
Brent,

Good for you, I know you felt good when the engine fired up. I went to the Gas Station last week after work to top of the tank and this guy comes running out "I gotta see this, is that thing real" yes, it is real, "is that a 427 Chevrolet engine?" No it's a Ford engine. "I didn't know Ford had a 427 engine" yes they did, see ya later. It's kind of comical everytime you go out.

Rick

clayfoushee
March 8th, 2004, 04:44 AM
Brent,

That's awesome. In all seriousness, I'm pretty finicky about my car too, and I check the weather radar to make sure there's no rain within a hundred miles or so before I head too far away from "mother trailer." And, your car is so damned beautiful with all that attention to detail that it just begs someone to give you a bit of grief. But, I hope you haven't taken offense to any of my kidding, because I think what you've done is beyond awesome.

Rick, he's been too busy to describe it to me, and still learning what it has, but I'm guessing it's an HTOB. I did have him check the master cylinder and he said it was full of fluid. But, the clutch in this case is not engaging. Would be so much easier if somebody close to him could just look at it.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

pgermond
March 8th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Brent, No problem... I've been confused with that part of the anatomy before [8D] It was a non-eventul trailer ride to the painter, which is good. He must have had at least two dozen FFRs in his shop! She'll be back in her crib on Friday evening, and then on the ROAD all weekend, weather permitting (it got up to 80 here this afternoon!)

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Brent
March 8th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Mall show:

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/Brent/DSCN0621.JPG

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/Brent/DSCN0628.JPG

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/Brent/DSCN0629.JPG

Brent

pgermond
March 8th, 2004, 11:17 AM
That's one good-looking ride! Brent, how do you like your Webers? I had a weak moment awhile back and damn near pulled the trigger, but after driving this weekend without being concerned with constantly having to tune them I'm glad I didn't succumb. What is your experience with their "streetability"?

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Brent
March 8th, 2004, 08:32 PM
The WOT performance is awesome. It starts easily and idles great. It is rich on the idle circuit and blows black smoke off idle. Mike @ Pierce sent me a set of idle jets yesterday. I should have them thursday and be ready for a nice weekend cruise.

Brent