PDA

View Full Version : Real or Memorex?

pgermond
March 9th, 2004, 12:10 PM
This is something you would normally see on CC, but because this forum is a small and loyal following of Unique Cobra owners/builders I thought I would ask this question here. If you feel this is inappropriate for this forum, just say so – no harm, no foul.

This past weekend I had my first real experience of driving my car for a full weekend out in public view. It DOES attract attention. I stopped at one point to relive my bladder at a gas station and, upon my return, I see my bride sitting in the car looking up surround by a group of Harley riders and assorted gwackers. Man, was I proud. When I lifted the hood (up on request) the oh’s and ah’s brought a big smile to my face – all the hard work was validated :D:D[^][^]

Then you have those that ask, “Is it real?” My response has been, “Does it matter?” or “What do you think?” That tends to stop them in their tracks. When I tell them it is a replica I built (I don’t care for “kit”…. It brings to mind images of those plastic Revell model cars I used to build as a 12 year old), they have nothing but complements and have over estimates its worth by tens of thousands of dollars [^]

So, for you guys that have had similar experiences (like, all of you, right?), how do you respond to the “Is it real or is it Memorex?” question?

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

TurnpikeBoy
March 9th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Well....I got the car built and registered it last May - now (almost) 1 year on the road. So many comments, thumbs-up, etc. that it's becoming difficult to be much concerned with the occasional nitwit.

One that stands out; parked the car at a 7-11 to get a cup of coffee one morning, and before I could even get out 2 bikes pull up, close, and behind me. No conversation. I get out, and rider #1, an approx. 65 yr. old gent says, "Well?". Well, what? "Is it or isnt it?" OK, not wanting to be a smartass at this point, I simply say yes, it's a replica. Disappointment in his face - "Oh." Further disappointment when I tell him it's got a 302; almost disgust.

Allright, now I'm a bit pissed. I offer first to go show him that I can STILL kick his ass, big time, on his bike, even with a 302. I then offer to give him a ride, fully intending to crank a few tight onramps in third gear, 75 mph or so, to give him conviction that even a lowly replica can do more than he ever thought possible. He now, with obvious trepidation, declined both offers. Conversation over.

Later I couldn't help but think that I was as much an ass as he was. I'm 50 years old, for crying out loud, why did I take that baiting?

I'm damn proud of how this car turned out. It's not the most accurate re-creation of a Cobra; it's certainly not the most powerful car out there. But it's MINE, and it's just flat-out beautiful. Beautiful. Witness is borne out on that every time it goes out - even State Troopers give you the thumbs-up and a mile-wide grin. And it is, by far, the quickest street car I ever owned, even with a 302 in it.

The upshot is that I really don't give a damn what ANYBODY else thinks it is. I have absolute knowledge, through building and driving it, that it's a Cobra. Completely, absolutely, a Cobra. I've lusted for one for literally 40 years (sat in a 289 car in 1964, at a dealer while my dad bought his Mustang) and BY GOD I have one. So - maybe not an original; maybe not REAL; maybe even a KIT, if one must.

But you can bet your bottom dollar that it's a bona-fide COBRA. And that, my friend is just what it is.

Yeehah

Brent
March 9th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Phil,
I just finished attending my first car show and the questions were plentyful. I prefer saying it is a hand built car from the ground up. The word "kit" to me has always been associated with a Volkswagon or Fiero donor and a replica body bolted on it. My Cobra is a handbuilt, custom ,40TH anniversary tribute car. Every item on my car that differs from the original was done so to improve upon 40 year old technology. :D
I enjoyed standing in the background and hearing people say how amazed they were that anyone in our area had an original Cobra and how the owner must have more money than sense to leave it in a mall unattended.[8D] (I wish :()

Brent

eliminator
March 9th, 2004, 09:20 PM
You know the "is it real" question is really kind of open ended, so to that question I have changed my answer to "YES" because it is real, you can see it, touch it, and even smell it (racing fuel). So they have to use some brains and act like they know something before I give any more info out. You get a little more hardned the longer you deal with the inquiring public. Even the so called "car experts" have a little trouble with Cobra's. Example: At the Muscle Car Nationals last year in Louisville I had my car registered under AC Cobra, that was our class and there were 8-9 replicas there and no originals. When the Ford Judges got to my car they looked under it, in the trunk, in the engine compartment, back under it again, called another Judge, he did the same. This went on for 20 minutes, on cell phones, talking, ect. Finally I asked if there was a problem? One Judge replied, we are all Ford guy's and are really not 100% up on the Cobra's and we are trying to find out how many modifications you have made to your ORIGINAL Cobra. I then told him it was a Replica and he was totally amazed. So there you go, this was a 780 cars 50's,60's, and 70's Muscle Car Show.

Rick

clinck
March 9th, 2004, 10:05 PM
I think that the question is it real is valid. "Yes" is the answer. Yes, it's real. You're not dreaming. The true nature of the question is: Is this car a genuine Shelby Cobra manufacutured by Shelby American. The answer to that is no: it is a clone. Clones are very exceptable in the automobile world. If a clone is done well 99% of car enthusiasts can't tell the difference. the 1% left that can are so anal that it makes no difference to them if it's done correctly or not, it's a fake.
We all know that today's Cobra's are far better than the original in almost every category. Suspension, brakes, fit and finish, motors etc.
These modern clones of the originals are real and accurate and cost more money than the originals they emulatedi back in the mid 60's.
To answer the question if someone asks, "Is it Real? The answer is always for me......This is as real as it's gonna get for me. That seems to do it for most people with a big smile on their face.

Sundown

ericeckhoff
March 9th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Yes, it's a real fast replica !Would you like to see a 67 427 side oiler? From 10 to 80 years old always gets a smile.
Eric

JerryBP
March 9th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Just for comparison, my 72 Pantera.
Most think it is a Kit of some Ferrari or Lambo

How fast will it go? over 160mph , (wow)
who made it? DeTomaso ( never heard of him)
where was it made? Modena Italy (oh)

the gals really like it, leather, air, power windows etc, and I offer to let them sit in it, as their husbands are pulling them away and they walk off talking about what it is worth (without a clue)

now the real car nuts stand around and start wanting details

did you put that V8 in it? No it came with a 351C Ford
is it a fiberglass body ? No all Steel
how much does it weigh? 2800lbs, 1200front-1600rear
what have you changed on it, Body is origional, just tires wheels and suspension parts.
who sold it in the us? Lincoln dealers for just over 10K
how many of them are there? over 3500 still registered out of 5500 imported

it will go on till someone that knows what it is comes along and we start talking shop.

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black
by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio

clayfoushee
March 9th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Phil,

Obviously, it's an experience you're going to have just about every time you park the car in public. My answer has evolved in the 8 months I've had my car on the road. I used to say it's a replica not a kit, built to original specs. As Eliminator said, even semi-knowledgeable car people have a hard time telling the difference. Lately, I've gone to a simple "yes" but it wasn't built by Shelby, or it's a "clone" of the original. As Clinck said, replica seems to have acquired a negative connation in the auto world that clone doesn't have.

As another interesting aside, I recently acquired a 65 Mustang Fastback, that was decently restored as a 66 Shelby GT-350 clone, with all the Shelby stuff on it. No one has ever asked if it was real (although I'm sure a car show judge would), but in my mind, it's no different than my Unique.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

nolastyankee
March 9th, 2004, 11:29 PM
All,
Though the Spence car isn't on the road yet, I have answered this question a hundred times already too. My response to those who have asked is "Yes, it is real. It is a real Unique Cobra (sorry Weavers, I know I'm not supposed to say that) and it was manufactured in 1991, and built in 2004."

As far as I am concerned, it is a real Cobra, just not a real Shelby Cobra.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Joe LaFives
March 10th, 2004, 03:08 AM
I usually just say it's replica and don't get too concerned about their reaction. There are several times when I refer to it as a kit.
I.e. How much would a (fill in work or part needed here) be for my kit-car. If I call it a cobra I figure they add $$:)

brfutbrian
March 10th, 2004, 04:58 AM
when im asked the "is it real" or "an original" , i always say its a replica, but with 20+ years of refinement the originals never had. whatever reaction i get i dont really care. any comment less than positve, i just tell em to go home and get their car and we`ll talk. that usually does the trick with people like that. later, brian.

excelguru
March 10th, 2004, 09:58 AM
I've had that question a few times. I always tell them it's a replica. I despise the term "kit", only because "kit" has become synonymous with poorly constructed Fiero/Ferrari transformations and the like. Some people are turned off when they hear this, but what do I care. Others are still interested and I provide additional details as they're warranted. Lifting the hood usually helps to convert those who would otherwise smirk at the "replica" terminology. I always keep some Unique business cards in the car to be distributed to those who seem truly interested.

On a few occasions I've given joy rides. On one late Friday night, I provided several joyrides to some young "ricers". I won't give details of the joyrides, but you could safely say that they walked away with a new appreciation for a non-turboed, non-nitrosed, non-blown, non-fuel-injected, non-import dinosaur of a car. :D After that, they didn't seem to care that it was a replica.

Keith :)
Unique Motorcars (http://www.uniquecobrareplicas.com)
Southern Automotive (http://www.southernautomotiveengines.com)
Bruce Bunn (the painter) (http://www.jodecoautobody.com)

My Photo Album (http://members5.clubphoto.com/keith355593/owner-429c-1.phtml)

pgermond
March 10th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Well, the votes are in and it sounds as though everyone is as passionate as I am about these cars. My response will evolve the more the question is asked........... original, replica, kit, clone, etc. I think the best response is, "Yeah, it's real, want to touch it, want to smell it, want a ride?" :D[:P]:D

As I said, this was my first experience out in public and, while a few dim-wits asked the question, to a man (and woman) they all walked away saying it was one fine piece of machinery [^]

Thanks for all of your replies.... it was getting a little slow on the forum [8D]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

JerryBP
March 10th, 2004, 09:50 PM
My feeling is to H... with C,Shelby after all his fuss.
We are going to put AC on our car and tell them it is a Real AC V8 just like they are still making in England.

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black
by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio

Jim Harding
March 10th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Is it real? Is it a Kit? Those are the two most asked questions I hear. My responce is the more "politically correct" :D statement, "It's a remanufactured vehicle"...... that usually gives them something to roll around in their heads before they ask their next question.... and depending on how I "read" them, the conversation will either end or go on into the process of putting one of these things on the road.

I find that most people believe that any unusual car (like ours) is a kit... and thier question "is it a kit?" is not to belittle our cars but is just based on their lack of knowledge. So I don't take offense to it. Now sometimes I hear that same question from someone who is smirking.... and I usually don't give then any more of my time.

Now the corker...... "what does it cost?" or "how much do you have in it?" usually comes up too. I usually respond by saying "probably not much more than what you're driving".

Or if you really want to see a reaction, ask them "does your wife take it up the brown eye?" ..... they'll say "that's none of your GD business!" to which you respond "exactly!":D:D:D:D:D

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/albums/album26/1aLeftside.thumb.jpg

clayfoushee
March 10th, 2004, 11:46 PM
Jim,

I'm surprised to hear that what you have invested in your car is little more than a '90-something Neon or Hyundai[}:)]

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Oldtimer
March 11th, 2004, 02:20 AM
I've had question like-what kind of Jaguar is that? or what year Lotus is that? Nothing but compliments from people that pull up at a stop light- even bikers. Everyone loves the colors, many have take pic's at traffic lights. Recently, on one of the local cruises some young boys in a ricer got ahead of us as we waited for the light to change and stopped to get pic's or movies as we rounded a corner,there was 13or 14 of us in a line. My answer to the kit or replica question is- It'is new,I just built it, it is a replica of a 65 Cobra, the informed will usually ask informed questions, the uninformed will just say it looks beautiful!

Rich

Jim Harding
March 11th, 2004, 02:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by clayfoushee

Jim,

I'm surprised to hear that what you have invested in your car is little more than a '90-something Neon or Hyundai[}:)]

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Well then..... would you believe a little less? ;);) Actually Clay, when I bought it, it was the steal of the year, so your not too far off!!!

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/albums/album26/1aLeftside.thumb.jpg

Russ Dickey
March 12th, 2004, 01:54 AM
I'm pretty much on the same page as everyone else on the board. My conversations usually sound something like this:

"Is it real?"

"No, it's just an illusion."

"I mean, is it a kit?"

"It's not an original, if that's what you're asking. I prefer to call it a 'tribute Cobra'"

"Is it a Factory Five?"

"ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!"

;)

Russ

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

Silk
March 12th, 2004, 03:14 AM
I've found that most people who ask, "Is is real" know it's a Cobra, but really aren't sure whether it's a kit or an original (I have antique plates on it). I take that as a very nice compliment. To those people, I always answer, "Don't I wish!" That almost always promps a follow-up remark like "Great looking car," or "Always loved Cobras," or "Ya, I suppose if it were an orignial you wouldn't be out driving it like this."

People who ask, "What kind of car is that?" usually think it's nice/cute/interesting/beautiful, but haven't a clue. A brief explanation doesn't enlighten them much - still no clue. But here again, it's kind of a backhanded compliment.

The ones I don't pay much attention to are the kids who say, "That's a kit, isn't it?" I either just nod, ignore them, or say, "Yup, VW based." And then punch it! :D

Gary
Unique FIA 351W

pgermond
March 12th, 2004, 10:20 AM
I picked my car up from the painter today and some dufus walked by and asked what kind of MG it was [?]

Russ - Like your response to the inevidable question.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

excelguru
March 13th, 2004, 11:38 AM
I did have one guy ask if it was a Porsche once. That stunned me into silence for a few seconds. I was nice and corrected him (clueless teenager).

Here's the BEST experience I had: I'm cruising through the Wal-Mart parking lot along the front of the building. I notice a group of elderly ladies giving me "the eye" (uh-oh: the noise). I cruise up and down a row, not finding a spot worthy of the car. So I find myself once again traversing the front of the building when one of the ladies (age 80 or so) steps out and flags me down. So I prepare myself for the inevitable...

"Excuse me, sir, but what kind of car is this?"

(Startled) "Uh... well, it's a Cobra, ma'am."

(Wagging her finger at her group of friends...) "I told you so!"

I laughed for a day over that one.

Keith :)
Unique Motorcars (http://www.uniquecobrareplicas.com)
Southern Automotive (http://www.southernautomotiveengines.com)
Bruce Bunn (the painter) (http://www.jodecoautobody.com)

My Photo Album (http://members5.clubphoto.com/keith355593/owner-429c-1.phtml)