PDA

View Full Version : The Striped Foushee

eliminator
March 11th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Gasman,

You have been real quite this week. Did you get your Carburetor and Clutch problem worked out? Clay you may have to make a trip to GA.:)

Rick

gasman
March 11th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Hey Rick,

Yeah, guess I have been quite compared to last week. It has been more than a humbling experience for me. [8] Needless to say, the learning curve to date has been huge! [xx(] It turns out the advice to rejet the carburator from Lewis was not good advice. The black smoke from acceleration through 2nd, according to Bill was apparently a blown power valve. The "alleged mechanic" I had working on the carb did not realize the vaccum for the secondary was internal (learned that from the master himself, Bill Parham) and he decided to hook up a manual linkage for the secondary, which caused a real bad acceleration lag. Bill was very P.O.'ed I had anyone affiliated with BMW touching his motor and wasn't ashamed to let me know it, I felt like I was 10 years old again and being diciplined. The motor runs okay, but, the secondary's are not working since the mechanic worked on it. They were working prior to his engagement, albeit, producing more black smoke. I think Bill's suggestion the carb has a blown power valve is accurate. Bill suggested I bring the car to him next week to work the bugs out of her. Clay had a good thought tonight, he suggested that I take the carb off and send it to Bill. I'm very tempted to do that if it weren't for the other problem. The previous owner revealed that it would periodically lock up when shifting out of reverse. This happened last week and when it happened, it felt like I had lost the clutch. The linkage simply came loose. Man, do I feel stupid. Clearly, I need a lift and a shop, real bad. Good to hear from you, and thanks for checking in. :)

Steve Foushee

Brent
March 11th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Power valve??Hmmmmmmmmmm[^][^][^][^]

If you don't have the car killing tires by May, bring it to homecomming and we will take care of that:D

Brent

clayfoushee
March 11th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Yep....you nailed it Brent, early last week!!!

I suggested he send the carb back to SA, because I wasn't sure what else the BMW butcher might have done to it, and Bill Parham offered to get everthing straightened out by sending the entire car. Right now, everything else on the car seems sorted out....at least today:)

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

eliminator
March 11th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Anybody out there with a 3310 Holley (750 CFM) Vaccum Secondaries, which SA puts on the single four barrel FE engines needs to do one thing. Buy the Holley Quick Change Kit and Spring Kit for Vaccum Secondaries. Pull the silver spring out of the secondaries and put a lighter spring in (the long yellow works good) and the carburetor will perform much better on the car. Lets the secondaries come in faster for a lightweight car. Then you have heard my second recommendation before. Buy the Proform body that comes with all the goodies and without a choke and install it. You can even take all that choke garbage off you 3310 body. You don't need it. If the transmission is hanging up I would look at adjusting the linkage and doing it right, that could be the problem. We do have access to the Toploader expert, Butch Capps to find out.
Steve,
The learning curve is large, but like I told you if your willing to learn it can be accomplished. If Bill dosen't want to fix the carburetor off the engine let me know.

Rick

jhaynie
March 11th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Steve,

I'm glad your on the way to recovery. We've had some beautiful weather for driving here recently (although I haven't been out since we last were out).

John