PDA

View Full Version : FIA guys...brake ducts

Unique 289_FIA
March 12th, 2004, 03:39 AM
How/where do you guys with a 289 FIA mount the brake scoops? Just bolt/rivet to the body or drill and bolt to the frame? Do you position the flush with the front or set back more?

Thanks!
Robert

Unique Motorcars 289 F.I.A. # 9142
Southern Automotive 354 stroker

GeorgiaSnake
March 12th, 2004, 06:34 AM
I have no idea but have thought about putting them on my car. My only reservation was that I would tear them off as my car rides so low. Post a picture after you get it figured out. ]

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

clayfoushee
March 12th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Robert,

Gary Hughes (aka "Silk") on this forum has them mounted on his Unique FIA. He's on here from time to time, but you should e-mail him. If you can't find his e-mail address here, send me an e-mail or PM, and I can get in touch with him.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

jhaynie
March 13th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Mine were bent quickly and I took them off. They bolted to the bottom of the radiator. They sit really low.

Silk
March 15th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Robert,

If I have time tonight I'll get some pics of the ducts & the mounting hardware. They're low, but they haven't been a problem for me - other than collecting a groudhog with one. :( Not too good for the duct, but not at all good for Mr. Hog. [xx(] [xx(]

Gary
Unique FIA 351W

Unique 289_FIA
March 15th, 2004, 05:13 AM
That'd be great, Gary! Thanks!

Unique Motorcars 289 F.I.A. # 9142
Southern Automotive 354 stroker

Silk
March 16th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Robert,

Not a great pic, but it should at least give you an idea for one option for mounting the ducts. They're held on via "L" brackets attached to the outside of the radiator frame, running down through the duct, and then bolted to the bottom(inside)of the duct. The duct is cut out so that it fits over the bottom of the radiator - otherwise it would be much lower. And as I look at that picture, I realize that 15,000 miles ago things down there looked a lot neater! :( One more Spring cleaning project. :)

Hope this helps.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/silk/Brake Duct small.jpg

Gary
Unique FIA 351W

GeorgiaSnake
March 16th, 2004, 03:20 AM
Gary, What good are those things doing without ducting to the brakes?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Silk
March 16th, 2004, 05:27 AM
None whatsoever. But with oversize disc brakes - unlike the originals - who cares? [8D] I've run the car hard on the track with no significant brake fade. Kinda like the FIA dimples on the trunk lid - utterly no utility, but part of the original FIA look. :)

Gary
Unique FIA 351W

GeorgiaSnake
March 16th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Gary I love the look as well - didn't mean it the way it came out in type. I went back and forth on those things for months, Alan finally got tired of me and told me I'd probably tear them off in a week.

One mistake people make with brake ducting is improper placement of the duct. Vented disk should have the air flow in the center of the rotor.

Oh and the trunk dimples do function - they generate tons of ?? and allow me to explain the original purpose. People are amazed at the yankee ingenuity.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

clayfoushee
March 16th, 2004, 08:39 AM
LOL.....forget the dimple, I just love the bungee cords to keep the trunk closed.....Yankee ingenuity.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD