PDA

View Full Version : Trailer queen

clinck
March 24th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Guys,

I am looking at purchasing a trailer to haul RUBYaround to different events that are too far to drive to, I have never owned a trailer [enclosed] before and wanted to get some advise. Please comment if you own [owned] a trailer for car hauling. What length is the right length? What brand[s]should I look at? Is used the way to go? Do I want extra size for future planning.

I have looked at trailers on the internet from Pace and Haulmark. These guys want alot of money for a box on wheels!

Thanks for your help as always.

Regards,

Sundown

Brent
March 24th, 2004, 11:42 AM
When you get to Unique in May ask for Butch Capps. Butch is a Unique dealer as well as a United Expressline dealer. I have owned 4 race trailers and the United was the best bang for the buck. Butch will make you a heck of a deal on a trailer and he is a really nice guy.

He also has a hell of a nice 427 S/C with a Hollman Moody 427 Tunnel wedge.(Usually wins everything he enters)

Brent

excelguru
March 24th, 2004, 11:43 AM
You might wanna check this out... www.serpentexpress.com

The framework and cover are removable in about 15 minutes, so you can haul your Caterpillar during the week and your Cobra on the weekends. Pretty sweet, huh? The one pictured on the website is the prototype. The final versions have a full metal deck without the open space in the middle. I'm highly considering this one myself because I wouldn't have to give up the utility of having an open trailer when I want it.

Keith :)
Unique Motorcars (http://www.uniquecobrareplicas.com)
Southern Automotive (http://www.southernautomotiveengines.com)
Bruce Bunn (the painter) (http://www.jodecoautobody.com)

My Photo Album (http://members5.clubphoto.com/keith355593/owner-429c-1.phtml)

clinck
March 24th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the response. I would like to go to homecoming but I would not have a car there [except the rental from the Birmingham airport] so I haven't decided if the trip would make sense this year,,

About the trailer. The canvas covered frame is definately out for me. I want substantial protection. I want a sealed locked box unit. I have a flat bed but will not consider trailering the Cobra on a flat bed. Too much potential for trouble in a variety of ways.

Can I get a phone number brent on the guy that you like?

Regards,

Sundown

eliminator
March 24th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Do a search on trailers, we have covered this subject before, the info might help.

Rick

clinck
March 24th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Thanks Rick for the tip....will try searching trailers in the archives.

Sundown

clinck
March 24th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Rick,

I searched the trailer topic and found the phone for Butch. I musta spent 30 minutes on the phone with him. Super nice guy. I have a quote coming from him for a 22 foot trailer.
If I buy a traier I can get it from the factory and Butch can invoice me so he can make a few bucks.That we we can keep the money in the family so to speak.
I don't know how much I would use the railer since I don't race. I just think that I would enjoy my car more if I could attend events in the southwest like Southern California and Colorado. If I use the trailer 4 times a year that would be alot for me. I am also considering that I could rent when I needed one. Well, I'm still in the thinking stage here but I appreciate the lead to search. I got what I wanted. Thanks,

Sundown

clayfoushee
March 25th, 2004, 01:29 AM
Sundown,

I'm sure you've probably already considered this, but is your towing vehicle up to the task? Fully loaded (including tools, jacks, misc equipment), You'll be at 6000lbs. plus with an enclosed. I ended up having to upgrade to a heavy-duty truck.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

clinck
March 25th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Clay,
I have a 2003 silverado 2500 with the duramax diesel/Allison tranny. I think I can pull over 10,000 lbs with confidence. Thanks for the thoughts.

Regards

Sundown

clinck
March 25th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Clay, do you have a trailer and if so what are your trailer thoughts?

Sundown

clayfoushee
March 25th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Sundown,

You're way more than equipped with that truck. I didn't comment on the trailer part, because I agree with your thinking. I bought a used 22 ft. Interstate with cabinets, lights, power, diamond plate ramps and checker-board floor, from a fellow Cobra club member. I did it for the same reasons you mentioned, taking my car on longer trips like the Unique Homecoming.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

eliminator
March 25th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Sundown,

I use my trailer 6-7 times a year and I love it:D, the wife loves it too;)! There are alot of events within a 400 mile radius of Louisville and I can come and go when I please, rain or shine. Also let's you carry all kind of goodies with you:D:D.

Rick

Brent
March 25th, 2004, 09:59 PM
I would never leave my car in a hotel parking lot overnight unless it was under lock and key. One jealous jackass decides to mess with your car and you have more than paid for the enclosed trailer.

Brent

JerryBP
March 26th, 2004, 02:02 AM
You guys are way to over protective, Get the darn thing out and drive it.

you probably have more in the tow-vehicle and trailer than your car.

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black
by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio

Brent
March 26th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Yes I am, I sure will, not even close.

Brent

clayfoushee
March 26th, 2004, 04:20 AM
LOL.....Ditto Brent.

Jerry, did you install drains in the floor pan of your car?

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Mike Geddes
March 29th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Hi Clay.....
Not sure if you were joking about the floor drains in the car.
But for what it's worth....I HAD to drill floor drains in my 427
after it got caught in a MASSIVE rain storm....they have proved
their worth a couple of times since.
Mike

Mike Geddes

clayfoushee
March 29th, 2004, 01:21 AM
Mike.....I actually WAS kidding, but that makes sense. I admire your die-hard, drive it in anything style. I must admit to being a little soft on that score.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

clinck
April 4th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Ditto Brent...If you Easterners lived out here in the wild and wolley West you would soon come to realize that a trailer is not so much of a luxury as a requirement if you're gonna take your car to events like shows, track events, vacations and the like. Las Vegas is 6 hours away from Phoenix. If I wanted to attend a SAAC event a Vegas Speedway I sure as hell wouldn't try to drive there. Therefore a trailer is the only option. Most of the car events are atleast 400 miles from Phoenix in all directions.
I think that Rick has the right idea...5 or 6 times a year sounds like my schedule too. Besides a trailer can be handy for lots of other duties around the house. I will keep my eyes open for a nice used baby that needs a new home.

Sundown