PDA

View Full Version : FIA arrives today in Arizona

clinck
March 25th, 2004, 09:46 PM
SHE's HERE!!!!!!!!
Well, Almost here. I talked to Roger yesterday about 5 times tracking his progress from Pueblo Colorado down thru New Mexico across the Rio Grande in Albuquerque heading West towards the Arizona state line.
By 10:30 AM Roger was cruisin past Las Vegas, New Mexico 2 hours north of Albuquerque. I have driven that road many times and know the hours/distance like a state trooper so I know that if he stayed awake and kept between the white lines that he could be in Scottsdale by 7 PM.
I said, Hey Rog... "you can make it and I'll tell you what I will do. You can stay at the ranch with us instead of dropping the car off and end up sleeping in the truck somwhere" You can take a shower and We'll cook up some steaks on the Grill and have some brewskies. You can sleep in a big bed and hit the highway in the morning all refreshed":)[:P]
Roger was elated with that idea! Yup, that was the plan. Roger would be in at 7 PM and the party would commence. Ruby's homecoming would begin in earnest at 7 PM....
I talked to Roger again at noon and again at 3 PM.

The 3 PM conversation was different.

Reger said, Sundown, I can't get there tonite.:( I am running out of legal drive time and I am fellin a bit too tired to pull the extra 3.5 hours to your place. I will stay in Winslow, AZ for the night and get started in the morning.

I said, Well Roger, I understand and agree with you. Take your time, obey the transportation laws and be safe. But my heart wasn't in it. I had planned all day that I would be in the garage all night. Just me, roger, Ruby and the beer having a hell of a good looksee at Ruby.

So it's Friday morning 5 AM now. I will make busy work around the house while I wait for Roger to arrive about 11 AM. We're gonna have lunch together. Me and Roger and Ruby.
Like I said earlier, Carolyn went to New York for the weekend and I have to stay home all alone with the FIA. I just don't know what I will do without the little woman....HeHeHe.

Pictures to follow at 11...just like the newsguys.

Sundown

nolastyankee
March 25th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Sundown,
My car is still a long way from being on the road and you are getting me all anxious! I am envious of you, have a great weekend. Looking forward to the pictures.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Brent
March 25th, 2004, 09:55 PM
When Roger gets there you need to unload her and light her up. Take Roger out on a nice long stretch of road and scare the hell out of him. He won't sleep for days.

Brent

weaver
March 25th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Sundown, I lived in Scottadale for several years and one of my favorite drives was up Scottsdale road to Cave Creek, we use to vacation at the Carefree Inn before we moved to Az and I really liked tat area. I know this area has grown since I lived there, is that still a nice ride or is there too much traffic.

Alan

Silk
March 25th, 2004, 10:42 PM
The anticipation's even killing us. Getting behind the wheel for the first time is an experience none of us ever forgets. And since you'll have 500 HP on tap, it'll be nothing short of awesome! Have fun - be careful - don't swallow too many bugs with the wide open grin you'll undoubtedly have - and post your reactions once your heart stops its wild palpitations! :D :D

Gary
Unique FIA 351W

clayfoushee
March 25th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Sundown, we all know just how you feel.....ain it great!

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

JerryBP
March 26th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Also our car is still a long way from being on the road.
Looking forward to your pictures.
May have the Pantera sold, looks like it may go back home to California.

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black
by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio

WBofTN
March 26th, 2004, 02:58 AM
sundown:
your thread sounds alot like an Eagles song.
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

clayfoushee
March 26th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Yeah, but that ain't no girl, my lord, in a flatbed Ford......

Clay

Annapolis, MD

clinck
March 26th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Guys,

The car took awhile to get off the trailer. Roger the "artful dodger" got the trailer hung up on a incline that was just to steep for the 48 foot hauler. We had to jack the Axles up to get the beavertal to lay right then we had to extend the beavertails with planks so we could roll off the 56 belaire that was behind little Ruby. It all worked out in the end after an hours' worth of thinkin about it.

I get in the trailer then in the car and took her out of gear and let her off the trailer without power. Once I cleared the trailer and off the rmaps I put the key in the ignition and said the Lord's prayer..God hep me if Ruby don't start. Vrooomwhaaa...up she came to life. Checked for oil pressure. Yup. got it. Found reverse and eased her back 20 feet.
Roger had to make time so we executed the paperwork and off he went to Las Vegas to drop off the 56 belaire convertible.

I pulled her in the garage out of the sun for a quick fluids check. Everything right where they should be. Wow...all that waiting and night sweats are over. I am tired but at the same time overheated with energy.

Next I decided that a trip to Motor vehicle dept. was in order. It's about 20 miles away so I got my sunglasses, my ball cap, a bottle of water and my paperwork and headed out to get Legal!
The first 2/10ths of a mile for me is the dirt road I live on. I pulled out of my drive way and the side pipes are blowin dust devils for 20 feet on each side. Whoa baby this is too much for the old man's heart. I gently transversed the dirt to hit the black top on 144th st. When I reached the Street a car was coming down the road heading in the same direction I was about to be goin... He slows down and stops and waves me out on to the pavement with a thumbs up. I wave with the biggest poopeatin grin this side of the Rockies. Ruby rolls out in first gear and I have a blip tryin to find second gear for a second. I got the clutch in a hair more and second was found so was third. Man I am nervous for some reason. Everything is different. Pedals are in different places but soon I got a comfy seat and and I am concentrating on steering straight. Once I reach the highway I am more sure that I can go straight and shift at the same time.
Off we go like a herd of turtles towards DMV. The car is running a bit rough it seems but hell I have been behind the wheel all of 5 minutes so what do I know.
I'm cruisin at 50 and the tach's say 2500. She sounds better now...smoother.
When I get to the first traffic lite which is 7 miles I push in the clutch and start downshifting easylike. At the light she want to stall. I'm ay 1100 feet of elevation. Maybe I need to up the idle speed when I get home.
I get to DMV and that process is painful. 2 hours of waiting for my turn to title Ruby as an Arizona car. It's done and I'm on the way back home with $55.00 simolees out of pocket. I still am having the idle problem but she's pullin just fine with a load. Running a tad rough but Jeff said that car sat all winter in Wisconsin so I fiure that she just needs some miles. The odometer says 527. Car is brand new and has been sittin. I will play with the idle tonite.
Well, pictures are on the agenda but first a quick prep job on the paint and then a good couple of coats of carnuba, hand rubbed ofcourse and removed with suede Microfiber.

The journey is just beginning. Thanks to all of you for your support and understanding how a 56 year old can mutate back to 16 with the turn of a key...Yahoooo!!!!!! We're ridin tonite and the Wife's out of town. It don't get any better than this brothers

Sundown

Brent
March 26th, 2004, 06:47 AM
WOW!

You have my arm hair standing on end. Great story, Be careful cause it aint no classic vette.

Brent

clinck
March 26th, 2004, 08:38 AM
She's tuck in for the night. It's only 5:30 here but Lord knows it's been that kinda day and I need a stiff drink to relax and calm down, I'm goin to the garage every 5 minutes to see if it's still there.I gotta be dreamin this....life can't be this good to me.
I took a couple of quick pictures. They're bad cause the light is bad at 5:30 PM [too many shadows] but I promised and a promise is a promise to the brothers.

Well I tried to upload the file but it wouldn't take the jpeg extention. Anyone got any answers for me?

Regards,

Sundown

clayfoushee
March 26th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Sundown,

The site does accept .jpegs or .gifs. They may be too large. Feel free to e-mail them to me, and I'll get 'em posted.

Congrats my friend!!!!! Loved the story and your excitement.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

casaleenie
March 26th, 2004, 09:59 AM
After reading the arrival posting I went out in the garage and hugged my 289....
Another couple of weeks and I'll be able to enjoy it again...

Have a great year with that car... and be careful....:D

AL

jhaynie
March 26th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Sundown,

I had to cost more than $55.00. Jeff must be giving those things away!

John

clinck
March 26th, 2004, 10:05 PM
John,

The $55.00 was for the titling and licensing here in Arizona.

You know these are not real cars, don't you? they are only model cars like Revelle makes!
I paid Jeff $19.95 for my model, I thought that this was a model car site....am I confused here?

Regards,

Sundown

Jim Harding
March 27th, 2004, 02:33 AM
Sundown,

Great story, and congrats from this end too.

Now remember...... the car may not need any break in miles, but if you're anything like me, you'll need a few:D

I remember my first few short trips in my car.... drove like an old lady going to church on a Sunday:D:D Took awhile before I stuck my foot in it...... can someone smile while scarring the heck out of yourself? And my little 302 doesn't make a whole lot of HP. Take care and drive safe.

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/albums/album26/1aLeftside.thumb.jpg

pgermond
March 27th, 2004, 08:11 AM
I was out of town and missed all the excitment [:P] Where are the pictures of this babe Ruby ?

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)