PDA

View Full Version : Oh, it feels soooooo good!!!!!!

bittentoo
March 29th, 2004, 06:06 AM
It didn't take the wife or I all of about 45 minutes in the car to figure out that the seats are a little lacking in the padding area:(
I remembered reading here about using Tempur pillows for padding. So Friday morning I found a Tempur dealer and purchased two Tempur "small" neck pillows. Now these suckers aren't cheap, they were $80.00 a piece[:O]

Came home, pulled the seats out and did surgery. Pulled all of the staples out of the bottom cushion except the front ones. Peeled the upholstery back to expose the 1 1/2" foam that you sit on. Placed the seat over the pillow, traced and cut to fit. The tempur cut easy enough. Stuffed the Tempur pillow on top of the existing foam, got the wife to lend another pair of hands to compress the tempur and to pull the seat cover back in place, and staple down. The seat now has a nice full look to it but not overstuffed. Made the seat feel firm but not hard.

Saturday morning left out for a 300 mile Blue Bonnet cruise with 7 other cobras (why do you think that I was working so hard on the seats!)and you guessed it, to borrow a quote from clayfoushee, "butt nirvana":D:D

Not once did we have to squirm around from cheek to cheek for relief[^] The wife had complained with the old seats that they hurt her hip, but no discomfort at all with the tempur seats:D:D:D

I know that the price of the pillows is high, and I even left after I heard the price but after about 30 minutes more of driving, I went back a bit the bullet! This is the best $160 upgrade that you can do to your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clayfoushee
March 29th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Thanks for validating my Tempur solution to the Cobra butt ache. You can find that stuff on the internet a little cheaper, but at $160, it's still a bargain! It really does work, and months later, my butt has yet to ache again from Cobra exposure.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

WBofTN
March 29th, 2004, 06:42 AM
I have seen some pillows on the market much cheaper (like $25 a pc) that
uses terms like "memory foam" or "elastic foam". Do you think this is the
same stuff as tempur????
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

Brent
March 29th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Kleenex = Tissue

Tempur is a name brand nothing more. Viscoelastic foam is the correct term and it is almost 30 years old. NASA originally came up with the material for back support on launches.
I paid 35.00 each for full size pillows and I still have 2 halves left that my kids use in the car on long trips.

Brent

WBofTN
March 29th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Thanks Brent
Sams has viscoelastic pillows for $26. Think I will try them out.
http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?n=0&oidPath=0%3a-23542%3a-26182%3a-31261%3a-32761%3a770523&coe=0&BV_SessionID=_SC_0589128120.1080655711_CS_&BV_EngineID=ccckadckmmmjiidcfkfcfkjdgoodfkh.0

WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

clayfoushee
March 29th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Maybe it is the same stuff, but sometimes there is difference in quality. How do you like the toilet paper in an airport or public building:D? There's 100 grit vs. 1000 grit Kleenex-type products.

It's the density of that foam that makes it work so well, in addition to it's "memory." I wonder if the generic copies are as dense?

We need to do a controlled empirical evaluation of the different foams;). Naah.....think I'll go drive instead.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

bittentoo
March 30th, 2004, 02:57 AM
I will keep testing mine also!!!!!

And as long as the wife's butt is happy, then I'm happy:D:D:D